New free to air classic movie channel on Astra 2A sat

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
barry byrne

New free to air classic movie channel on Astra 2A sat

Unread post by barry byrne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 am

New on the Astra 2A sat in Europe is a free to air channel broadcasting classic movies.

Called "RETRO" on the screen, it shows up on listings as Nollywood, - a Nigerian enterprise who seem to control the frequency currently used. Information about the channel, and the long term intentions is very sparse but it currently runs FTA mainly B & W films, not from Nollywood but from Hollywood. A rather similar mix to "Talking Pictures" but with more U.S. sourced content. "Meet John Doe" just finished.

It has rather brutally placed commercial breaks but is an interesting addition to try if in the European Astra 2A catchment area where TCM is a different kettle of fish from the U.S channel.

wingate

Re: New free to air classic movie channel on Astra 2A sat

Unread post by wingate » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 am

At the moment it is a nightmare.A couple of days ago I wanted to record Cause for Alarm and up came Fathers Little Dividend.The schedules change on a daily basis.I was expecting to record a Dr Kildare film but now it is a Western.Films don't begin and end at the advertised times.Some of the prints look as if they have used in a grindhouse for months on end.Some interesting films though.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am

barry byrne wrote:New on the Astra 2A sat in Europe is a free to air channel broadcasting classic movies.

Called "RETRO" on the screen, it shows up on listings as Nollywood, - a Nigerian enterprise who seem to control the frequency currently used. Information about the channel, and the long term intentions is very sparse but it currently runs FTA mainly B & W films, not from Nollywood but from Hollywood. A rather similar mix to "Talking Pictures" but with more U.S. sourced content. "Meet John Doe" just finished.

It has rather brutally placed commercial breaks but is an interesting addition to try if in the European Astra 2A catchment area where TCM is a different kettle of fish from the U.S channel.
Nigerian? Does it happen to be run by that millionaire prince who wanted to give me $30 million his dead father the king had hidden away?

Jim

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:04 am

RETRO (aka Nollywood) now seems to have vanished!

It had become very repetitive, with the same few movies being recycled.

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:21 am

The Retro channel is back!

No information as to the absence and the EPG information is always wrong.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:07 am

Which channel number please because I have looked and can't find it

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:44 am

Currently showing up for me on

Astra 2A
11465/H/21997
PID 2327/2328/2327

after vanishing for about two weeks