Oscar news

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
drednm

Oscar news

Unread post by drednm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Just when you thought the award couldn't get more irrelevant:

"Oscar will add a trophy for what is essentially the Most Popular Movie. It will have to figure out the criteria, but it is a clear concession that the scant representation of blockbuster movies has put the Academy into a corner."

https://deadline.com/2018/08/oscars-cha ... 202442455/
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

silentfilm

Re: Oscar news

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I don't see it as a bad thing. The first year of the Academy Awards, Wings was the Best Production, and Sunrise was the Most Artistic Production. The Academy voters have really made some head-scratching selections the last 30 or so years for Best Picture. This will make it easier for comedies, musicals and action films to win an Oscar.

It will be interesting to see what the criteria is for this category.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 am

To the contrary, Ed, this proves that the Oscars are trying to become more relevant. It is a bowing to the fact that the public in general is not interested in the kind of films that win Best Picture awards because of their supreme artistry. Fancy-ass films are in fact irrelevant to the mass audience that buys the tickets. Blockbusters are the most relevant to them.

Besides, don't you really want to see Dwayne Johnson accept the Oscar for Best Popular Picture some day?

Jim

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 am

Oh yeah? They're also revamping the Oscar to look like Superman!

Imagescreen shot capture
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am

drednm wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 am
Oh yeah? They're also revamping the Oscar to look like Superman!

Imagescreen shot capture
What's he standing on? An overstuffed briefcase, or a fax machine?

Jim

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:34 am

As our movies become more CGI oriented, more violent, more crass, less subtle, humor nearly strictly scatological, and countries like South Korea produce lavish, gorgeous, and more human oriented stories, even India begins producing films that are wholesome and desirable to the general public, and we begin watching the world rather than ourselves, and the most popular person in the films in the world is Jackie Chan - our little films and our Oscars now need to be common sense oriented, something they've never been. Hollywood is failing? I don't know about that, but they seem to be making it more and more immanent.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am

What they're doing is trying to become Independent Spirit Awards and People Choice Awards mixed into one.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am

missdupont wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am
What they're doing is trying to become Independent Spirit Awards and People Choice Awards mixed into one.
They'll likely jettison televising awards to all the tech areas and possibly all short films. That'll leave 'em more time to showcase the dreadful songs and production numbers. They've already relegated the "Special Oscars" to a blip. Gena Rowlands got to stand up way in the back rows of the auditorium where they used to stick Mickey Rooney. I don't remember that Donald Sutherland even bothered. The "In Memoriam" segment has become more about the singer onstage than any sense of film history and loss. Most of the presenters now are "soon to be seen" in some film but basically unknowns (to me). I suppose they'll also eliminate bring back last year's winners as presenters. Why bother with all that film history stuff?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 am

And the Oscar for the film no thinking adult would ever go to is awarded to...….

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 am

barry byrne wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 am
And the Oscar for the film no thinking adult would ever go to is awarded to...….
Nailed it!

(And that particular Oscar will be presented by Adam Sandler.)

Jim

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 am
barry byrne wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 am
Nailed it!

(And that particular Oscar will be presented by Adam Sandler.)

Jim
and to.

I'm reminded of what Roman Hruska said about Supreme Court nominee G. Harrold Carswell:
Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos.
Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 am

Clearly, the solution is to create a new category called Temporary Oscars. These would be awarded to films that would never even be nominated but since commercializing the award is so prevalent now, any film can be called "An Academy Award Winner" to attract ticket buyers. At the end of the movie, viewers would then vote on whether the award should be kept or returned by the filmmakers. This category would apply only to films that otherwise have not been nominated for any traditional awards. The only flaw I can see is that all filmmakers might opt for the Temporary Award because then they are guaranteed to receive and then exploit it.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Probably the best thing they could do is go back to organising a nice dinner at the Roosevelt Hotel and dishing out some awards at the end of it. That way all attendees could enjoy themselves and get stuck into the turps. Maybe a few flashlight photographs could be taken of award winners for the press.

There are just too many award shows around nowadays, why I only just received an invitation to the Procrastinator's Award Show of 1962 which is being held in either 2021 or 2038. I might get around to attending.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

William D. Ferry

Unread post by William D. Ferry » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm

This doesn't seem to be much different from the first Oscars, which had TWO Best Picture awards: WINGS and SUNRISE. IIRC, SUNRISE was "Most Artistic Achievement" , and I guess you could call WINGS the "popular" winner.
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:22 am

William D. Ferry wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm
This doesn't seem to be much different from the first Oscars, which had TWO Best Picture awards: WINGS and SUNRISE. IIRC, SUNRISE was "Most Artistic Achievement" , and I guess you could call WINGS the "popular" winner.
Yes, this occurred to me too. The Oscars have evolved over time, so I'm willing to suspend my judgement until I actually see the rejigged ceremony.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

Here's a great commentary by Richard Brody of The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-f ... the-movies

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:42 pm

silentfilm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am
Here's a great commentary by Richard Brody of The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-f ... the-movies
I don't always agree with Brody (my eyes glazed over when he started his review of the latest Mission: Impossible entry with a quote from Kierkegaard), but this is pretty spot on.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Wow. That's exactly what I said ... but in different words! Great piece by Brody.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

linquist

Unread post by linquist » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Bring back Bob Hope as emcee....or maybe, Johnny Carson.

silentmovies742

Unread post by silentmovies742 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:13 pm

William D. Ferry wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm
Exactly

syd

Unread post by syd » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Charlie Chaplin receiving an Honorary Oscar is one of Oscar's best moments.

https://youtu.be/J3Pl-qvA1X8

The Most Popular Movie Category is yet another sign of corporate
capitalists wanting to be rewarded for essentially dumbing down the
masses with what has been passing for movie entertainment since the 1980's.
Movies like The Godfather and Apocalypse Now would be quite different
if made today if they got made at all. I don't mean to get political
because I respect Mike Gerbart's rules for this forum, but PMC category is like
what is happening in public schools today where all of the children get rewarded
instead of the smartest ones.
Last edited by silentfilm on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Clem Dickey

Unread post by Clem Dickey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Think of it as "constrained art." Anyone can make a great movie, but how many people can make a great movie that grosses $100 million domestic? :D

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Surely the 'most popular' film will be rewarded by ticket sales, as well as DVD / TV income, in addition to the number of illegal downloads.

This will not be an exact gauge of popularity in any case: people often go to films in couples or groups to see something they wouldn't normally bother with. And there are return visits for those who can't get enough of a particular movie.

It seems very irrelevant to me, a way of trying to please too many people. And the example of WINGS and SUNRISE is an example of the confusion here, although I think SUNRISE was given the award as a recognition of its quality as opposed to it being another 'best film'.

Perhaps the best way would be for there to be a selection of half-a-dozen top entries, as they it often absurd to compare works which have completely different aims.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Wasn't the whole point of expanding the number of "Best Picture" nominees a few years ago to try to get more "popular" titles in the running (and help the show's ratings)? I think both ventures are a joke (as are the Emmys currently putting as many as eight or nine nominees in many categories), movies and tv are worse than ever yet nominations seem easier than ever to get.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:49 pm

In any case, it now appears that the Academy has walked this idea back: https://variety.com/2018/film/awards/ac ... 202930117/