The Unbeautiful 13

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
SteppenBow59

The Unbeautiful 13

Unread post by SteppenBow59 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Eh, I don't agree with this Pogany character, but hey, beauty's in the eye of the beholder. Interesting "dissections", though. Also, I didn't know the word "sexy" was around as early as June 1933.

mndean

Re: The Unbeautiful 13

Unread post by mndean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm

It's all subjective anyhow, we don't really value symmetry to that rather insane degree. If we did, everyone would part their hair in the middle, and Colleen Moore would frighten children at every personal appearance.

That said, there are some actresses in the article who do nothing for me.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Who cares? Some of the most exquisite beauties of the screen were pretty bad actresses. I love Dolores Costello's looks but, though she had plenty of charm her acting consisted of flashing a limited series of expressions. IN OLD SAN FRANCISCO is funny at times- she keeps trying to look frightened but she just looks puzzled.
Eric Stott

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Willy Pogany painted a portrait of John and Dolores Barrymore and their kids that was published in one of the more recent Barrymore bios. Reportedly, they hated it. I agreed that Pogany is full of it but I will grant him one thing - the cameramen went to great pains to photograph some of these gals from the "right angles." When Joan Crawford reported to Warners for MILDRED PIERCE they went crazy trying to figure out how to make her look as good as she did at MGM. In desperation, the Warners crew called the MGM people for help. So Pogany has a point but, as George Sanders said to Marilyn Monroe in ALL ABOUT EVE, it's an idiotic one.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

SteppenBow59

Unread post by SteppenBow59 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 pm

mndean wrote:That said, there are some actresses in the article who do nothing for me.
Such as... ?

mndean

Unread post by mndean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

SteppenBow59 wrote:
mndean wrote:That said, there are some actresses in the article who do nothing for me.
Such as... ?
Joan Crawford (Iike her acting in silents/early sound, never found her attractive), Ann Harding (too pallid looking for me), and Kate Hepburn (just too bony).

I'd take Bebe Daniels over any of the ones listed, except (yes) Clara and maybe Kay Francis and Ruth Chatterton.