A New Mystery

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
SilentEphemera

A New Mystery

Unread post by SilentEphemera » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Here are some photos and a bit of the movie story... Can you name the film and actors?

http://patddixon.com/silent-film/" target="_blank

Rick Lanham

Re: A New Mystery

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 am

At first I thought the man might be Kenneth Harlan, but if Kenneth's photo on his wikipedia page; and your photo, show the same ear (left or right, neither photo flipped); then it is someone else.

Rick

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 am

:? Hmm, I thought that the man could be Eugene O' Brien? The girl Betty Bronson? But maybe not? I guess that I was thinking of PARADISE (1926), but that co-Starred Milton Sills, not Eugene O' Brien. Definitely not Sills.

SilentEphemera

Unread post by SilentEphemera » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 am

Does anyone think it could be Aileen Pringle? At first I thought the story line fit the movie 'Three Weeks" but he doesn't fit the male actor. I can post more photos if it would help anyone. Thanks for your ideas!

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am

No, it's not Aileen Pringle. The last photo looks like May McAvoy but the other two don't. And it's not Kenneth Harlan or Milton Sills.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm

The photo of the woman embracing the older man looks like May McAvoy to me also.

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 am

Bruce,

:? Hmm, It looks quite a bit more like Virginia Valli to me. Is this a possibility?

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

The middle photo looks like Olive Borden.

Turpinutz

Unread post by Turpinutz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for the tip about this site, SilentEphemera, I see the blogger is also selling stuff.
Maybe we can all find some things at realistic prices from Pat Dixon.

Looking at the "shipwreck" stills, I don't recognize the girl. (Tomorrow a lightbulb will go off!).
But the guy in the sand, as small as the scan is (and not the sharpest shot), looks like Richard Dix to me.

SteveR

SilentEphemera

Unread post by SilentEphemera » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Here are some more photos added to help those that are trying to help solve the mystery! Thanks for all of your ideas, keep 'em coming! New pictures here:
http://patddixon.com/silent-film/" target="_blank

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

SilentEphemera wrote:Here are some photos and a bit of the movie story... Can you name the film and actors?

http://patddixon.com/silent-film/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I believe the woman in these first several stills is Gladys Hulette. Just stab, but these might be from Whispering Palms (1923) one of those films about which nothing is known. The leading man in that film was Val Cleary. The men in these photos are unfamiliar to me, though the fellow in the pith helmet bears some resemblance to Charles Conkling

Ian Elliot

Unread post by Ian Elliot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Mr. Birchard's ID of the lead actress makes the rest of the deduction very easy. Googling "Gladys Hulette" and "shipwreck" brings up LIFE'S CROSSROADS (1928). Bedridden gent in the stills is Mahlon Hamilton.

SilentEphemera

Unread post by SilentEphemera » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 am

WOW! Thank you gentlemen, it is exactly correct on the actors and film. There are 83 doubleweight stills that tell this entire story, and it does fit the movie perfectly. I had a really hard time trying to identify him and was giving up hope. Your deductive brilliance is appreciated, as well as everyone who participated and viewed the stills and posted ideas here. Apparently there is not much known about this film, and now there are so many stills that it tells a great story. Thank you all so very much! I can post them in "The Exchange" if anyone would like.

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Ian Elliot wrote:Mr. Birchard's ID of the lead actress makes the rest of the deduction very easy. Googling "Gladys Hulette" and "shipwreck" brings up LIFE'S CROSSROADS (1928). Bedridden gent in the stills is Mahlon Hamilton.

Great detective work, and of course I had a brain fart citing Charles Conkling instead of William Conkling [AKA Conklin].