Need help identifying people in pictures with El

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
LouieD

Need help identifying people in pictures with El

Unread post by LouieD » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 am

I am starting a new series of blog posts hoping people can identify people in photos with El Brendel. I have a pile of these so hopefully people can give me a hand. Thanks in advance for looking!

http://www.elbrendel.com/2013/09/el-wit ... -them.html" target="_blank

LouieD

Re: Need help identifying people in pictures with El

Unread post by LouieD » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:05 am

Film historian Richard M. Roberts has identified the man on the left as actor Arthur Shields!

I am now speculating the couple in the middle of the photo may have something to do with the management and ownership of the Hollywood Comedy Club, does anyone have any information on it??

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:52 pm

LouieD wrote:Film historian Richard M. Roberts has identified the man on the left as actor Arthur Shields!

I am now speculating the couple in the middle of the photo may have something to do with the management and ownership of the Hollywood Comedy Club, does anyone have any information on it??

I don't know who the fellow in question is, but Richard Roberts to the contrary notwithstanding, it is NOT Arthur Shields.

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:30 am

Bob Birchard wrote: I don't know who the fellow in question is, but Richard Roberts to the contrary notwithstanding, it is NOT Arthur Shields.
Hmmmmmm, I have looked at other Shields pictures from around this period and they do seem to match. How can you be so sure?

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 am

LouieD wrote:
Bob Birchard wrote: I don't know who the fellow in question is, but Richard Roberts to the contrary notwithstanding, it is NOT Arthur Shields.
Hmmmmmm, I have looked at other Shields pictures from around this period and they do seem to match. How can you be so sure?
What period are you talking about? The photo of El is likely from the mid 1950s, and Shield looked nothing like this guy at the time. The woman on the right in the photo may be Molly Picon.

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 am

Bob Birchard wrote:
LouieD wrote:
What period are you talking about? The photo of El is likely from the mid 1950s, and Shield looked nothing like this guy at the time. The woman on the right in the photo may be Molly Picon.
Did you even read what I wrote? The woman on the right is El's wife, Flo Bert. The photo is from the early 60's, probably after his appearance on "Perry Mason".

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:15 am

Bob, I have updated the blog to reflect your input.

Here we go with round #2. Help if you can!

http://www.elbrendel.com/2013/10/el-wit ... -show.html

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 pm

The man in the top photo could possibly be William "Buster" Collier Jr., who became an agent for William Morris after retiring as an actor.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Does anyone but me think that El looks like Danny Kaye?

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:42 pm

missdupont wrote:The man in the top photo could possibly be William "Buster" Collier Jr., who became an agent for William Morris after retiring as an actor.
I think Buster would have been older than this guy, plus both El & Buster appeared in "New Movietone Follies of 1930" and this guy does not look like Buster (on the right in the photo), thanks though.

Last edited by LouieD on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 pm

boblipton wrote:Does anyone but me think that El looks like Danny Kaye?

Bob
Interesting you should mention that. I originally bought this still thinking it was El only to find out later it was Danny Kaye as Nikolai Nikolaiovich as he appeared in the shorts he did for Educational.

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 pm

LouieD wrote:Bob, I have updated the blog to reflect your input.

Is it possible the man in the first picture could be Ralph Edwards?

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:43 pm

LouieD wrote:
missdupont wrote:The man in the top photo could possibly be William "Buster" Collier Jr., who became an agent for William Morris after retiring as an actor.
I think Buster would have been older than this guy, plus both El & Buster appeared in "New Movietone Follies of 1930" and this guy does not look like Buster (on the right in the photo), thanks though.

In fact it is Buster Collier [William Collier, Jr.], and it is from "New Movietone Follies of 1930" and the girl is Noel Francis.

The Sto- in the still code stands for director Benjamin Stoloff Oh, and BTW, Louis, the guy on the left is El Brendel ;-}

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Bob Birchard wrote:
LouieD wrote:

In fact it is Buster Collier [William Collier, Jr.], and it is from "New Movietone Follies of 1930" and the girl is Noel Francis.

The Sto- in the still code stands for director Benjamin Stoloff Oh, and BTW, Louis, the guy on the left is El Brendel ;-}
Yup, knew that already. If you read above, I was using this as an example of Collier with Brendel and how the guy in the fist photo of the newest blog post could not be Collier.

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 pm

I ran the photos by an OTR fan friend of mine and he suggests that the fellow in images 2 & 3 (clearly a different person than the fellow in image 1) may be Los Angeles area radio DJ Al Jarvis. There is certainly a resemblance, but the only images I've seen to compare come from the 1950s and show a later, heavier man with somewhat thinning hair. These pictures with El Brendel would seem to be from the mid 1940s

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

Bob Birchard wrote:

These pictures with El Brendel would seem to be from the mid 1940s
Give it a bit later, probably early '50's as El experienced some weight loss in the face around this time. I have been thinking these men may have something to do with Imperial Records, who recorded 2 singles with El in 1950.

Ian Elliot

Unread post by Ian Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Per Mr. Birchard's suggestion I'm convinced it's Al Jarvis in the second & third shots. Here's Jarvis in 1943, the likeness is strong (for the record, Jarvis was born in Winnipeg, not the UK):

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-p ... uage=en-US" target="_blank

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:39 am

Ian Elliot wrote:Per Mr. Birchard's suggestion I'm convinced it's Al Jarvis in the second & third shots. Here's Jarvis in 1943, the likeness is strong (for the record, Jarvis was born in Winnipeg, not the UK):

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-p ... uage=en-US" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
It certainly looks like him! Thanks Ian & Bob!

I will have to check known photos around this time but I still think this is closer to the 50's rather than 40's, but I have been wrong before!

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 am

The big guy in the middle almost looks like Walter Hiers, but I'm not completely sure that it is him. Hiers died in 1933. Do you know when this photo was taken?

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

silentfilm wrote:The big guy in the middle almost looks like Walter Hiers, but I'm not completely sure that it is him. Hiers died in 1933. Do you know when this photo was taken?
I'm thinking early to mid-30's. I thought it was Hiers also, but I don't know for sure.