Help IDthese 1930s film stars drawn by late grandmother

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 am

My late grandmother was born in Czechoslovakia and immigrated to the United States in the 20s or 30s. While still in high school and about age 16 in 1932, she made a drawing. She lived in McAlester OK then. My father made me aware of the drawing only recently. My grandmother passed away in 1978 when I was only 10 years old, so I only knew her as an elderly, sickly lady. I never knew she was into art or drawing. Over the past month, I have been on a constant search to identify the celebrities she drew so long ago. What is more interesting to me is to find the original sources of the images she drew from. What was she looking at? Movie posters? Fan magazines? Cigarette cards? I am going to share the image here and ask others to tell me who they think the faces represent, and most of all, if they recognize the pose, the hat, the original source. Thank you very, very much!

Anquan
Norfolk, VA
Attachments
1932-share-smaller.jpg
1932-share-smaller.jpg (150.66 KiB) Viewed 6749 times

Anquan

Re: Help IDthese 1930s film stars drawn by late grandmother

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 am

In my research, and I admit I know nothing about film stars from the 20s and 30s, starting with the upper left, I think that could be Myrna Loy or Clara Bow, followed by who looks like a very coy Alice White, then the large couple may be Mary Pickford and Buddy Rogers. To the lower left corner, looks like Marion Davies' eyes, and then possibly Clara Bow or Theda Bara. But in searching thousands of online images and period magazines, I have never seen any of those stars in these exact poses or hats/dresses/jewelry. What say you? Thanks
Last edited by Anquan on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 am

I think it's Myrna Loy in the upper left, and Marion Davies and Clara Bow on the bottom. I'm not sure on the others.

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 am

silentfilm wrote:I think it's Myrna Loy in the upper left, and Marion Davies and Clara Bow on the bottom. I'm not sure on the others.
The one with the very short hair on the far right may be Leatrice Joy.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 am

Janet Gaynor with Charles Farrell ?

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am

Actually, I believe the woman in orange with short hair is Beatrice Lillie, who'd just hit Hollywood with a bang in 1932. The woman in the blue hat does look like Marion Davies.

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks everyone, for the comments so far. You have already given me several names I never heard of before, but need to research. Thanks again.

I am thankful for this quest...because as a child of the 70s (born in 1968), silent film and early talkies are just something I have never been interested in.....but as I have researched more and more about the stars of the 20s and 30s, I have become more intrigued by them, as well as impressed how little things have actually changed....both in Hollywood and our culture in general. It has also made me stop and appreciate the beauty and charm the actresses (and actors) had back then. My whole life I've discounted that era as strange, fast-moving, pancake-makeuped, corny stuff, but I am realizing what an artform and new culture it was back then and which got us to where we are today.

For example....Clara Bow. I never knew the name. I never watched her films. But somehow, I've known that face. Maybe its because she just had the look of that era and maybe I am thinking about any number of stars then, but as I see more and more photos of her and read her life story, the more intriguing and beautiful she becomes to me. Alice White, too. I am enjoying this journey.......

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 am

Joan Crawford could be the woman in upper left or lower right.

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:37 pm

missdupont wrote:Actually, I believe the woman in orange with short hair is Beatrice Lillie, who'd just hit Hollywood with a bang in 1932....
I thought the figure on the far-right - while maybe not Farrell-
was most certainly a (ruby-lipped) man, a partner of the lady (Gaynor?) next to him.
But I guess the face does look like Lillie's, nose-wise...

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:23 pm

The face to the far right is most likely a man, I'd say, with the blue necktie. At first it reminded me a little of a young Charlie Chaplin before the 'stache, but the drawing just looked like he might be Cuban or something, but as I researched stars and faces, the one that always jumps out at me (as a total amateur) is Charles Buddy Rogers. But once I had a few people say the woman he was with looked like a young Mary Pickford, and I did more photo research, I found out Mary and Buddy were married, but a little later in life. Like a friend said, in that era they all had such similar hair styles and fashion that its really hard to tell sometimes. But I think the most noteworthy aspect of the couple on the far right is that they are much larger than all the other faces....they are together....and drawn in a way where their chest lines join into one. Was that my grandmother's intention, to show the couple, or just her inexperience? Either way, the couple on the right stand out in size and layout from the others and I assume it is a man/woman couple, but I could be wrong.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Beatrice Lillie's photo, with hair coloring, etc., just like the drawing on the right:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NY422-Photo-BEA ... 485eaf3153" target="_blank

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Leatrice Joy was know for her short hair and her sometimes mannish costumes.

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:06 pm

Well I have to admit the portrait of Beatrice on Ebay makes it plausible to me now that it could be her in the grandmothers drawing. And there is the issue of the long eyelashes on the "guy" in the drawing that I just dismissed as amateur artwork. So yeah, it could be all women in the drawing....Thanks for all the input everyone, this is GREAT!

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm

This one is very vague and generic to me. Could be so many people. Mae Murray? Tellulah Bankhead? Mary Pickford? But she looks intentionally portrayed to be "with" the short-haired, tie-wearing character, be it male or female. So maybe some brainstorming on the rouged-cheeked blonde might unlock at least the 'couple'.
Attachments
face8.jpg
face8.jpg (121.94 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Last edited by Anquan on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Anyone else see Alice White in this character in the drawing?
Attachments
AliceWhiteCollage1.jpg
AliceWhiteCollage1.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 6642 times

BankofAmericasSweetheart

Unread post by BankofAmericasSweetheart » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 am

You said this was drawn in 1932 right? Then the couple portrayed are not Mary Pickford and Buddy Rogers. Mary Pickford was still with Douglas Fairbanks in 1932...
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:40 am

The more I look at it, the more the woman in the couple looks like Janet Gaynor, which means the man is most likely Charles Farrell. The only other one that seems obvious is the Marion Davies in the large blue hat, as several others have mentioned. Very nice artwork overall for a 16-year-old, however!

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 am

I agree that Janet Gaynor looks like the most plausible answer so far. When I browse all the photos of Janet on the net, it seems right. But again, there were so many...It just amazes me that not one of these exact poses/dressed images appear, so far, anywhere online. She must have been drawing from some truly obscure, rare source in 1932. And who knows how old that source already was in 1932? Was there a particular year(s) that these particular starts were all the "IT" gang?

BuccaneerBird

Unread post by BuccaneerBird » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:36 am

It looks like ( from left to right ) Bebe Daniels, Alice White, Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell, and Marion Davies ( in blue hat ) and Clara Bow on the bottom. Your grandmother had some great sketching skills!

Anquan

Unread post by Anquan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks again, to everyone, for the great continuing input! It is taking my searching in new directions I would have likely not gone before...

I found this photo of Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell, I think a promo for 'Delicious', and although the pose and angle is different, I really see a very strong similarity in Janet in this photo and the woman in the drawing.
Attachments
JanetGaynor.jpg
JanetGaynor.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 6583 times