Lantern Site Issues Revisited

Discussion related to mediahistoryproject.org. More general discussion of topics should go to main boards.
Pathe Lehrman

Lantern Site Issues Revisited

Unread post by Pathe Lehrman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:45 am

Anyone else having a problem? Every time I click on an entry's "Read in Context" I'm greeted by the same error message. It first happened last evening, and as of this morning it is still an issue.

Tom Reeder

missdupont

Re: Lantern Site Issues Revisited

Unread post by missdupont » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 am

I just tried using Safari and I didn't have a problem.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am

It's working OK for me on Chrome. It can sometimes take some time for the search to finish (depending on the publication, it sometimes hangs indefinitely, especially when searching for a phrase rather than a single word) but it usually gets there in the end.

Pathe Lehrman

Unread post by Pathe Lehrman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Problem solved, and it was not a Lantern issue, rather with my Chrome browser. I had to clear out Caching and Cookies before it would work properly again.

silentmovies742

Unread post by silentmovies742 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm

It appears that Lantern isn't working at the moment. I've tried different browsers, and also tried it on my mobile after switching off the home wifi to make sure it wasn't an issue with that as it sometimes is.

I've emailed David Pierce to inform him.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:50 pm

It is working now for me.

silentmovies742

Unread post by silentmovies742 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Yes, David got it rebooted. :)

David Pierce

Unread post by David Pierce » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:40 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Yes, David got it rebooted. :)
I'm no longer associated with the site, and am listed on the masthead as Emeritus Director. But I sent an email to Eric Hoyt, who rebooted the system right away.

David Pierce

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Looks like the Lantern site is offline again.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

linquist

Unread post by linquist » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:17 am

Actually, I've had a recurring problem with the site recently. Its usually during off hours, such as late at night, early in the morning or on weekends. Sometimes most of the weekend. At these times, I get responses such as "We're sorry, something went wrong" or the same computer code, implying something is wrong. Seems some problems (or internet attacks) are happening repeatedly.

David Pierce

Unread post by David Pierce » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:01 am

The occasional site outages are related to some small upgrades being implemented by site director Eric Hoyt, prior to major upgrades next year.

MHDL recently was awarded a grant from the American Council of Learned Societies that will support site upgrades and new features:
https://www.acls.org/Recent-Awardees/AC ... ion-Grants

The abstract of the grant is:

The Media History Digital Library (MHDL, http://mediahistoryproject.org) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a free online resource, featuring millions of pages of books and magazines from the histories of film, broadcasting, and recorded sound. To better serve researchers, the MHDL is developing a new platform that supports granular metadata, user contributions, and linked data with the AFI Catalog. This project also is expanding the MHDL’s international scope through the work of the Global Cinema History Task Force, a group of film historians who are investigating the locations and copyright statuses of significant global film publications and digitizing them when possible. The inclusion of more Spanish-language movie magazines is one of the project’s top priorities. To achieve this goal, the MHDL will be collaborating and hosting workshops with the Society for Cinema and Media Studies’ Latino/a Caucus and the University of Houston’s Recovering the US Hispanic Literary Heritage project.

David Pierce
(no longer associated with Media History Digital Library)

linquist

Unread post by linquist » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:34 am

Thanks, David. That's great to hear and we will all be looking forward to these additions. I'll keep this in mind will the occasional shutdowns. Good luck.