Ep. 26: Farran Smith Nehme on Sirens • Rescuing Cinerama

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Ep. 26: Farran Smith Nehme on Sirens • Rescuing Cinerama

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 26: Farran Smith Nehme on Dietrich, Swanson, Crawford and Other Sirens • How John Harvey Rescued Cinerama

Big screen glamor... and the glamor of a really big screen. (62:20)

Image Image

(1:45) There's a coterie of women writers on classic movies, whose entry point is the glamor and power of female stars from long ago. One of them is Farran Smith Nehme, blogger at Self Styled Siren and a contributor to everything from magazines like Film Comment and Sight & Sound to the supplements for major blu-ray/DVD releases... including the Criterion one above and Stage Struck with Gloria Swanson. You can even see her introducing Joan Crawford films on Filmstruck.

I talk to the Self Styled Siren about sirens past and her contributions to releases, including...

(2:59)

How she got her start
(11:47)

(19:20)

Image Image
(29:50)

Here's her von Sternberg and Dietrich essay for Criterion's Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood set. Her piece on Manhandled can be found here.

Here's her Film Comment piece on Tonka of the Gallows, which you can order here (ignore the children's book art there by mistake). (Though I remember now that I first heard about it here, from Lokke Heiss—and I'm far from the only one who ordered it after this rediscovery!)

Here are Kino's releases of Zaza, Manhandled and Stage Struck.

Image Image

(42:28) It's the biggest film format ever—and it wasn't seen anywhere for 30 years, until a professional projectionist with a Cinerama bug set it up again in his living room in Dayton, Ohio. John Harvey, the man whose tireless enthusiasm brought back the 1950s wonder, passed away in May, and NitrateVille member Larry Smith remembers him and how he rescued a legendary film format from obscurity.

Here's the Flicker Alley trailer for the restoration of This is Cinerama, the direct outgrowth of John Harvey's work in reviving interest in the format. You can find all the films on DVD/Blu-ray from Flicker Alley here.

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir