Ep. 24: Cinevent 50 with Leonard Maltin, Biffle & Shooster

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Ep. 24: Cinevent 50 with Leonard Maltin, Biffle & Shooster

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 24: Cinevent's 50th, with Leonard Maltin, Biffle & Shooster and a cast of dozens

Cinevent, the Columbus, Ohio-based old movie convention and collectible market, celebrated its 50th anniversary this Memorial Day with lots of special guests, and I interviewed a bunch of them, as you'll hear over the next two episodes. In this first one, I not only do interviews about new books and DVDs, but take you inside the workings of the festival and meet its guests. (66:59)

Image Image
Left: Samantha Glasser; Right: Morris Everett

(2:19) What are movie festivals like this like? Who goes and why? You'll find that out as I talk to folks behind the festival like organizer Michael Haynes, staff member Samantha Glasser (Maliejandra on NitrateVille) and poster dealer Morris Everett who holds an annual poster auction during Cinevent. Plus attendees like Irv Drobny, Cary Black and the only person to have been to all 50 Cinevents, Phil Capasso, as they talk about why they like the festival and old movies, what they collect and more.

Phil Capasso

(24:16) The festival's special guest Leonard Maltin needs little introduction—you've surely seen his Movie Guide, his books like Of Mice and Magic and The Great Movie Comedians, and the man himself on Entertainment Tonight or introducing Disney cartoons. His new book Hooked on Hollywood: Discoveries From a Lifetime of Film Fandom collects favorite interviews and pieces from his self-published fanzine Film Fan Monthly and his newsletter Leonard Maltin's Movie Crazy, dating as far back as when he was a teenager. We talk about the movie bug and how you get it—and give it to the next generation. The book comes out July 2.

(35:03) I learn more about how the festival runs—by talking to projectionist Bob Hodge, one of three keeping the show running, one reel at a time.

Image Image

(40:08) They're the greatest comedy duo that never was! Biffle and Shooster are a pair of vaudevillians created by L.A. comedy figures Will Ryan and Nick Santamaria, and I talk with Michael Schlesinger about the new DVD from Kino Lorber featuring their 30s comedy antics in five two-reelers, a Vitaphone one-reeler, their outtake from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and more. They've got a whole cottage industry of old school humor, so besides the DVD check out their book and their comic book.

(59:12) All things must come to an end, especially film festivals, and in the final segment, I drive back to Chicago with Joe Yranski and Jessica Rosner as we discuss what we saw. But I'll be back with more interviews live from Cinevent in the next episode.

And if you want great root beer, here's the Triple XXX Drive In.

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

precode

Re: Ep. 24: Cinevent 50 with Leonard Maltin, Biffle & Shoost

Unread post by precode » Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks again! But for the record, there are five full shorts, not four, on the DVD.

Mike S.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

Corrected!

Though I just saw a tweet from Kino that said four.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for another great podcast. I listen to them as soon as they come out (sometimes more than once to take in all of the information). Your absolute best was the Joe Yranski episode, but this latest one comes in as a close 2nd.

Thank you for producing them,
Matthew

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

(This is where I tell you to share that opinion at iTunes, too...)

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

I love all the different perspectives and think including your ride-home conversation was brilliant! Thanks for including me; it was very flattering to be asked. I look forward to the next one about Cinevent.

precode

Unread post by precode » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Corrected!

Though I just saw a tweet from Kino that said four.
They're confusing the DVD with the streaming feature version, which does have only four. I've already talked to them about this.

Mike S.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm

By the way, Leonard Maltin's book Hooked on Hollywood is out now.