Just a Suggestion about Contests

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Harlowgold

Just a Suggestion about Contests

Unread post by Harlowgold » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

How about making a rule that one must have a least ten posts on Nitrateville to be entered in the contests. I've noticed for quite a while there are tons of posts of these contests threads from people with single digit posts to their credit - often a single one just for the entry. I'm not suggesting one should have hundreds or thousands of posts (or even dozens) to be entered in the contest but it's no real stretch to make ten posts (many do it in a single day quite often!) but it sure seems to me these contests are bringing in some people who have no real interest in films and just lurk the net in search of contests - and of course, it's quite possible many of these are from people who are creating multiple accounts on Nitrateville with different email addresses. I realize there are indeed "lurkers" who just read but I can't help but suspect many of these posts are from people who have never been on Nitrateville before, some may be "robot" entries, or people with multiple accounts.

boblipton

Re: Just a Suggestion about Contests

Unread post by boblipton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I think that Mike believes contests like these are a good way to encourage people to join Nitrateville. I sometimes wonder if my opinions, offered in a manner that I intend to be forthright and entertaining,, are helping or hindering others. I know that I don't consider my opinions sacred, but people looking through the internet, with all the tsimmis and tsuris, may be shy.

I know that I would like to hear others' opinions on the movies I review, particularly others on why they enjoy one I don't, or despise one I admire. Well, maybe they'll speak for themselves and help educate me.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

JRozgonyi

Unread post by JRozgonyi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:35 pm

I would add this comment, as a very occasional poster who religiously reads Nitrateville every single night: There are a wealth of amazingly knowledgeable people posting here every day, and some of us may greatly appreciate what we’re learning while sensing that we don’t have that same level of expertise to contribute.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 pm

(Pssst... here's part of the secret marketing strategy, don't tell the marketing department I let it out. Yes, part of it is using them to encourage newbies, people who listen to the podcast, people who lurk but don't post, whatever, to get over the hump of registering, daring to put that first post out there, whatever it takes to get you to do it...

That said, we'll be drawing for at least four prizes in the next month or so—the three titles for the holiday wish list and at least one for Watch That Movie Night though likely more, and you never know what else. And the most recent winners of those were Jim Roots, Cinefan, Tthacker, Oldposterho, and Javier, all in at least double digits as posters. So the odds are still in the favor of people with at least some frequency here. And of course, to receive the prize you have to pick up and respond to my email with a real name and address. Years ago, we had one winner, a newly registered name, who never responded to any attempt to contact them, so I quietly drew another name and gave it to that person. But that's only happened once.)
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

Cineanalyst

Unread post by Cineanalyst » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 am

Well, it worked on me after lurking for years and even forgetting for a while that I had registered an account. I also second JRozgonyi's comment. That said, of course, you can run the contests however you see fit.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 am

JRozgonyi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:35 pm
I would add this comment, as a very occasional poster who religiously reads Nitrateville every single night: There are a wealth of amazingly knowledgeable people posting here every day, and some of us may greatly appreciate what we’re learning while sensing that we don’t have that same level of expertise to contribute.
You have just as much to offer as anyone here: your honest, thoughtful opinion backed by a lifetime of experience, which no one else has. I wish you'd share it with us more.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot

-- A.E. Housman

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 am

To Bob's point-- back when I ran a food forum, we had a lot of experiences like this:

Guy goes to Klopstokian restaurant, writes about it
No one knows Klopstokian food, so no one says anything
People try Klopstokian restaurant over the next couple of months
Next guy writes about Klopstokian restaurant... and the floodgates open

I think it's similar here but moreso— Bob sees things in New York, no one else has seen them, so no one has anything to add. Nonetheless, they do get read, and I have bought a few things because people here mentioned them (yay Saloon Bar).

Anyway, to the broader point, everyone has something to add at some point, but even the most loquacious of us sometimes look at a post and have nothing to add.
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

telical

Unread post by telical » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Yes, I don't have much to add from a scholarly or collector's point of view but I've chimed in over the years and started several multipage threads. I actually LOVE it when everyone gives their point of view on general topics related to vintage film. We're already a minority, don't have to make it any more quiet.
--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net" target="_blank
http://www.telicalbooks.com" target="_blank
http://www.regenerativemusic.net" target="_blank

silentsaregolden

Unread post by silentsaregolden » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 pm

And just to add another point, new posters are welcome because Mike and the other administrators keep this forum as it was intended to be - focused on film with respect for each others’ opinions. Any of you remember what a fiasco alt.movies.silent tirned out to be on Google groups? Each time I visit Nitrateville, I am appreciative to Mike, et., al., for making this the top notch forum that it is.
Silents Are Golden
http://www.silentsaregolden.com

“Aw, go count yourself! You’re not so numerous!” - Virginia Lee Corbin

tguinan

Unread post by tguinan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 am

I don't do a lot of posting here, but I do read quite a bit. And I do give away some of the dvd's I've put together over the years. I'm more interested in sharing the films with others so it doesn't bother me how many posts someone has whether its many or a few, or where in the world you are either. Speaking of contests, I just posted one.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 pm

My suggestion was just to insure the winners are actually real people and/or people who love vintage films, there's plenty of folks out there who will enter a contest for anything, and some multiple times if they can get away with it. Kind of why you have to jump through hoops on some sites (which photos show cars, etc). But I agree the contests are a great way to bring new people into the fold, I just wish more of them would participate a little more. One of the nicest things about Nitrateville is there are almost never any "wars" or ridiculing of another's tastes or opinions (one can even say they dislike a certain performer and not have one of their fans jump down your throat), which was a very big fly in the ointment on the old IMDb boards where some people seem to just live to insult others. Keeping things as they are is fine with me.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Well, I agree that more participation would be nice, but if someone has nothing to say, it's hard to make him say it.

On the other hand, I believe there are a lot of people who have things to say, but feel they shouldn't say them, and that is a mistaken attitude.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot

-- A.E. Housman

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:50 pm

boblipton wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm
Well, I agree that more participation would be nice, but if someone has nothing to say, it's hard to make him say it.
Au contraire. It's the people with nothing to say who are the hardest to shut up.

Case in point:

Jim

Javier

Unread post by Javier » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Considering that I tend to read and absorb knowledge from everyone here. I do enter some contests & for the most part I can tell everyone here enjoys being a member (myself included).
Still enjoying my copy of The Covered Wagon, courtesy of Kino/Lorber & Nitrateville. Nice upgrade from my old VHS copy.
Hopefully more people join as members and share their knowledge and learn from everyone here as well.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"