MICKEY (1918)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
alostworld192593

MICKEY (1918)

Unread post by alostworld192593 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Paul Gierucki and everyone else at CineMuseum is working on restoring this title. We need some help, however.

Is there anyone here who has or knows the location of any documents related to the film?

We're looking for press materials, original reviews, a possible script, and even a cutting continuity. It would be great if anyone has these.

Paul E. Gierucki

Re: Mack Sennett, MICKEY & THERE HE GOES

Unread post by Paul E. Gierucki » Wed May 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Indeed, CineMuseum is currently restoring 100 Mack Sennett for the 100th anniversary of the Keystone Studios.

Two of the reconstructions are particularly challenging -- MICKEY (1918) starring Mabel Normand and THERE HE GOES (1925) starring Harry Langdon. If anyone has access to production documents, detailed reviews or promotional materials of any sort, please contact me off list.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- PG

drednm

Re: MICKEY (1918)

Unread post by drednm » Thu May 24, 2012 4:59 am

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 18+#p26347" target="_blank

Here's a link to an older discussion we had on this film, sequences out of order etc. Probably not what you're looking for or any help, but .....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Thu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I can't wait to see the delightful MICKEY properly reconstructed (all I've seen so far is the Unknown Video version), as well as everything else Mr. Gierucki and his CineMuseum crew releases. I better start saving...

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Thu May 24, 2012 2:33 pm

WaverBoy wrote:I can't wait to see the delightful MICKEY properly reconstructed (all I've seen so far is the Unknown Video version), as well as everything else Mr. Gierucki and his CineMuseum crew releases. I better start saving...
Yes, I've always liked this movie -- EmGee has two different prints, each of which contains footage not found in the other (which is probably discussed in the earlier thread referenced above). As one of our first film scores, Mickey has always been a favorite of mine, and it will be wonderful to have a "definitive" version available.

But other than the tie-in sheet music, which was very popular and therefore easy to find, and meeting a woman whose mother was nicknamed "Mickey" after appearing in a stage prologue for the film, I've never seen any incidental material on this film.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I'd just like to point out that Mickey is so fine; he's so fine he blows my mind. Hey Mickey!

Oh come on, you were all thinking it! :P

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Any new version or restoration simply MUST have Neil Moret's wonderful song as the music track.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Thu May 24, 2012 6:09 pm

drednm wrote:Any new version or restoration simply MUST have Neil Moret's wonderful song as the music track.
It's in the public domain, so I expect anyone that Paul would hire would have the sense to use it.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

WaverBoy

Re: Mack Sennett, MICKEY & THERE HE GOES

Unread post by WaverBoy » Thu May 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Indeed, CineMuseum is currently restoring 100 Mack Sennett for the 100th anniversary of the Keystone Studios.

Two of the reconstructions are particularly challenging -- MICKEY (1918) starring Mabel Normand and THERE HE GOES (1925) starring Harry Langdon. If anyone has access to production documents, detailed reviews or promotional materials of any sort, please contact me off list.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- PG
How much of THERE HE GOES still exists? A bit apparently appears in the FRAGMENTS documentary (which I haven't seen but desperately need to); has more been found?

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Here's a nice display advertisement for 'Mickey' from a Melbourne newspaper from 1919:

'Mickey' seems to have been a big hit in Australia - the racing sequence went over particularly well. The reviews I've read make me even more eager to see the upcoming reconstruction.

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Fri May 25, 2012 5:58 am

Plan at Allans.

I worked at Allans in the late 1960s in sheet music wholesale & mail orders. They still had a box office in their downtown store and football finals tickets were big business. More than one front window was broken by the crowds eager to get into the finals. Our managing director(Geoff Allan) and the music publisher(Ivan Tait) went back to the time Mickey was released with the company. My mother was called Mickey as a child because she ate a lot of cheese and Mickey Mouse started his career the year after my Mom was born. The film had been in 8mm versions from Hartney Arthur's Milestone business.

The Melbourne Majestic later became a carpark before the building was demolished and part of the Greater Union Theatre Group who also made movies as Cinesound and the Cinesound Newsreel in opposition to Movietone. In the 50s they played revivals of the Ma & Pa Kettle films and The Boyfriend was premiered at this venue before it closed.

Marilyn Slater

Re: MICKEY (1918) the music

Unread post by Marilyn Slater » Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm

MICKEY the music, if you would like to hear the piano roll version or maybe the 78 record or look at the covers or download the sheet music, it is at http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/03mickey.htm there are also the other Mabel Normand parlor music.
If you haven’t seen MICKEY there is a version on line at http://www.archive.org/details/Mickey1918
Attachments
025 normand-mickey.jpg
025 normand-mickey.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
132 MICKEY poster .jpg
132 MICKEY poster .jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 4263 times

Paul E. Gierucki

Unread post by Paul E. Gierucki » Sat May 26, 2012 2:18 am

Our sincere thanks for the posts, links, comments and materials -- your contributions have been of tremendous help!

Waver, I haven't timed it out yet but I believe that we have more footage than what has been available elsewhere.
I will post a full list of titles and other details when we are just a bit further along in the process.

Thanks again, All!

-- Paul E. Gierucki

ymmv

Unread post by ymmv » Sat May 26, 2012 2:20 am

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sat May 26, 2012 4:45 am

As noted in previous posts, the running order of scenes doesn't make much sense unless there was omitted linking material that cleared things up... or maybe like Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall the scenes are simply out of order.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Sat May 26, 2012 6:52 am

drednm wrote:As noted in previous posts, the running order of scenes doesn't make much sense unless there was omitted linking material that cleared things up... or maybe like Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall the scenes are simply out of order.
I checked the movie at archive.org linked above, and there's definitely some footage missing after the horse-racing scene. It is the same order -- Mabel still does go riding with Lew Cody after learning of his villainy, which makes little sense -- but there's quite a bit of exposition and a love scene that have been lost there. That is a pretty bad transfer, too, and run quite a bit too fast, which makes it considerably less enjoyable...
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Marilyn Slater

Unread post by Marilyn Slater » Sat May 26, 2012 7:05 pm

That is a pretty bad transfer, too, and run quite a bit too fast, which makes it considerably less enjoyable...
This is precisely the point for Paul creating a NEW version of MICKEY and why we should be pleased to have him putting it together. I have spent sometime trying to find a solid contemporary narrative. I think I understand why there wasn’t the usually plot summary published; still I haven’t totally stopped looking.
Is there a F. Richard Jones, director’s cut, I don’t think so, is there a Mabel Normand Feature Film Company copy, I don’t think so…what we do have is according to Mack Sennett a reason for it’s seemingly disjointedness... “for every foot of MICKEY that is shown on the screen thirty feet have been destroyed. This was deliberate…My idea is to serve nothing but the kernel of the nut…
Mack Sennett wasn’t telling us a story in HIS copy of MICKEY but rather showing us episodes, incidents and sequences, he liked. When Anita Loos wrote MOUNTAIN BRED, she didn’t write a script for MICKEY anymore than Tillie’s Puncture Romance was putting Marie Dressler’s Tillies’ Nightmare on film. But I do run on…

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 am

Might Paul and his team be close to finishing their highly-anticipated reconstruction and restoration of MICKEY?

ghunka

Unread post by ghunka » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm

I've been thoroughly charmed by Mabel Normand recently -- and loved Timothy Lefler's biography from 2016 -- and echo WaverBoy's question: Is there any chance the restoration/reconstruction of MICKEY will be completed for its hundredth birthday this year (in August, according to IMDB)?