Nazimova

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Danny

Nazimova

Unread post by Danny » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:21 am

Greta recently said:
Nazimova only has two films that play regularly but apparently four more plus another incomplete one survive. Those would be interesting to see.

What are the four more silent films, besides "Camille" and "Salome", that survive? Are they available? Thanks

Danny

Peter Kalm

Unread post by Peter Kalm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:29 am

Camille and Salome both survive and are available on DVD. I could not find any evidence of her other silent films surviving. The trailers for Eye for Eye (1918) and The Redeeming Sin (1925) do survive and are in the Library of Congress.

James Bazen

Re: Nazimova

Unread post by James Bazen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Danny wrote:Greta recently said:
Nazimova only has two films that play regularly but apparently four more plus another incomplete one survive. Those would be interesting to see.

What are the four more silent films, besides "Camille" and "Salome", that survive? Are they available? Thanks

Danny
Greta has the list of existing films on her website on the Nazimova page. According to her findings at the time, the following exist:

An Eye for an Eye (1918) at Gosfilmofond
Toys of Fate (1918) at Czech Film Archives
The Red Lantern (1919)at Gosfilmofond
Madame Peacock (1920)--Incomplete at the Cinematheque Royale, Belgium,
Stronger Than Death (1920)at George Eastman House, plus Turner
Camille (1921)at George Eastman House
Salome (1923)at George Eastman House

The Lambert book also implies that the following exist--not confirmed:
an episode of "Screen Snapshots (1919)
the trailer for "The Redeeming Sin (1925)

Also, existing is a trailer for Madonna of the Streets (1924), and a brief clip from My Son (1925) can be seen in a Warner Bros. Passing Parade short from the 1930s which airs occasionally on TCM.

I don't know if there are any updates to this as this list has been on her site for quite awhile now. I've seen the trailer for Madonna Of The Streets and it looked very good. I wish the whole film existed.

Peter Kalm

Unread post by Peter Kalm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 pm

This is great news! All the websites I checked out said these films are lost. I wonder if any of them will be released on DVD?

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm

James Bazen wrote:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm
Danny wrote:Greta recently said:

Danny
Greta has the list of existing films on her website on the Nazimova page. According to her findings at the time, the following exist:

An Eye for an Eye (1918) at Gosfilmofond
Toys of Fate (1918) at Czech Film Archives
The Red Lantern (1919)at Gosfilmofond
Madame Peacock (1920)--Incomplete at the Cinematheque Royale, Belgium,
Stronger Than Death (1920)at George Eastman House, plus Turner
Camille (1921)at George Eastman House
Salome (1923)at George Eastman House

The Lambert book also implies that the following exist--not confirmed:
an episode of "Screen Snapshots (1919)
the trailer for "The Redeeming Sin (1925)

Also, existing is a trailer for Madonna of the Streets (1924), and a brief clip from My Son (1925) can be seen in a Warner Bros. Passing Parade short from the 1930s which airs occasionally on TCM.

I don't know if there are any updates to this as this list has been on her site for quite awhile now. I've seen the trailer for Madonna Of The Streets and it looked very good. I wish the whole film existed.
Permit me to bump up this old thread.

Came upon an advert for THE REDEEMING SIN yesterday and salivated.

For those who caught STRONGER THAN DEATH at Cinecon some years back, THE REDEEMING SIN also promises Nazimova doing an interpretive dance.

So it MUST be found.

Get on it.

linquist

Unread post by linquist » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Sometime in the past year, I saw a beautiful five minute clip from THE RED LANTERN on YouTube. It leads me to believe that someone had restored it and that copies may be for sale. I may be wrong about availability but the clip was beautiful.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

linquist wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 pm
Sometime in the past year, I saw a beautiful five minute clip from THE RED LANTERN on YouTube. It leads me to believe that someone had restored it and that copies may be for sale. I may be wrong about availability but the clip was beautiful.
Maybe this one:

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Arndt

Unread post by Arndt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 am

THE RED LANTERN is available in a beautiful edition from the Belgian CINEMATEK:
http://cinematek.be/?node=30&dvd_id=57& ... y=8&lng=en
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders