How does the idea of a small film museum sound?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
LostEmulsion

How does the idea of a small film museum sound?

Unread post by LostEmulsion » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 am

Hi. I've kicking this idea all morning. A small museum, not a MOMA or MOMI but a local museum displaying the beginning stages of film- showing the Technicolor process, film decomposition, film preservation, sample clips of film tidbits from the 1890s to the 1940s. I have access to vintage equipment, World War II training loops, early magic lantern stuff. Like I said, kicking it about.

boblipton

Re: How does the idea of a small film museum sound?

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 am

You'd think that Fort Lee would be up for something like that, or perhaps our friends at Loew's New Jersey might be willing to dedicate some space. Still and all, museums such as you describe are generally set where an industry once prospered; and except for Griffith's studio in the early 1920s, I can't think of any industry connection east of Astoria.... and I grew up on Lawn Guyland.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:12 am

Rember that MOMI here in London closed and the Cinema Museum is also in danger of closing.Here in the UK I have visited Shoreham museum which has a small display about the start of the film industry on the South coast there is also the Elstree and Borehamwood museum which has an exhibition on the studios in the area on the second floor of the library building.The Projected Picture Trust were at Bletchley Park but I don't know where they are now.So maybe your best bet is to find an existing museum and see if they have spare space.Otherwise it will be difficult to establish.

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am

When you start adding up staff costs, rent, insurance, etc., it starts to get very pricey, very fast. Unless you could entice an existing entity - like a theater or a theme hotel that already has these costs built into their day to day budget - you're looking at an expensive proposition for the 10 people that would show up every day.

Probably a better solution would be for you to organize an exhibit that could be lent to institutions on a traveling and temporary basis. Let them worry about the logistics while you concentrate on the artifacts and displays.

tguinan

Unread post by tguinan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 am

The Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum is a great example of a small museum like you're thinking about. Their operating hours are Noon to 4PM Saturday and Sunday and also show silent films every Saturday evening. Here's their website http://www.nilesfilmmuseum.org" target="_blank. I think they also open up week days to school field trips.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

The Hollywood Heritage Museum also promotes early silent film as it describes how Cecil B. DeMille, Jesse Lasky, and San Goldwyn got into the film business for THE SQUAW MAN. There are vintage silent cameras on display, a Technicolor camera used on GWTW, a 70mm camera from 1930, and there has been sound film discs on display. It focuses on early Paramount and its start and then its evolution. It also has Buster Keaton's home movie projectors from the Itailian villa. There is a video on the Valentino Memorial Service and a salute to Valentino, as well as a tribute to Lasky. Displays change per the month's special event as well as ones on Hollywood history. There are displays of silent performers and costumes occasionally on display. The Museum is located inside the 1901 barn that DeMille rented to shoot THE SQUAW MAN outside.
http://www.hollywoodheritage.org/" target="_blank

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm

There is also a Laurel and Hardy Museum at Ulverston (Stan's birthplace) in England's Lake District. You will definitely need to go into the costs of renting, particularly as they are frequently subject to three-year 'reviews', i.e. increases. As has been said before, the Cinema Museum is in danger of closing, a fate which met MOMI in London.

A letter to any museum of this type would probably result in information regarding the potential pitfalls involved.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:38 pm

I was wishing there was something like this attached to the Essanay Studio in Chicago, which is now a college, although original buildings and facilities like the projection room (which I think is now a gym) and the basement film vault still exist and have been re-purposed for use by the school.

This video tour from five years ago suggests that the college wants to establish a museum of some sort dedicated to the building's history.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

milefilms

Unread post by milefilms » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Fort Lee has a film theater and museum planning to open in 2019...

https://vimeopro.com/sirk/bfc
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V