Missing Reel(s) of The Far Paradise (1928)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
Brooksie

Missing Reel(s) of The Far Paradise (1928)

Unread post by Brooksie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Following on from this thread - I've done a bit of research to establish what happens during the missing reel (or reels) of The Far Paradise (1928). Spoilers abound, obviously.

As earlytalkiebuffRob suggests, the missing section began just after the masquerade party sequence (about 50 minutes in, so probably the 5th reel and about half of the 6th). After finding out that Cherry is in love with Peter, her father takes her home and convinces her that Mr Lawton's crusade against him is nothing but a personal vendetta (purely my speculation, but I suspect he'd attribute it to Lawton's love for Cherry's mother). He suggests that Lawton has pressed Peter into seducing her in order to humiliate her. Cherry now believes her father is the one who has been wronged.

You'll remember that Carson's sinister secretary Rossi (Arthur McLaglen) made advances towards Cherry at the masquerade ball, but was rebuffed. Now, Rossi goes to Carson and announces that he plans to marry Cherry. Carson angrily rejects him. Rossi threatens to expose Carson's secret criminal life, there is a scuffle, and Rossi is killed. Arguing that his motive was self defence, Carson convinces Cherry to flee to rural Paradise Valley ('within whose mountain fastness Carson had at last found refuge', as per the first intertitle that survives from that sequence).

Reviewers seemed divided on whether Rossi's death was murder or self defense. A still from that sequence does survive, but it doesn't make it much clearer.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Missing Reel(s) of The Far Paradise (1928)

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

That certainly helps, though presumably Carson ended up in a heap of trouble as they are living like paupers and dressed likewise...

Brooksie

Re: Missing Reel(s) of The Far Paradise (1928)

Unread post by Brooksie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I guess he loses or abandons his business empire. There was apparently another missing sequence set in a jail, so I suppose a jailbreak is also possible, though you'd think that would have been mentioned in reviews. I have not been able to find anything about it except for a surviving still.

The official synopsis, which was reproduced in several newspapers, suggests they were forced into farming simply to survive:
Cherry Carson, a beautiful Australian girl returning from abroad, meets Peter Lawton, a university graduate, on the same express and they fall in love. Cherry's father, James Carson, is a swindler masquerading as a businessman in the city of Kirkton, and is a bitter enemy of Howard Lawton, Peter's father. Howard Lawton intends to expose Carson and his partner, Karl Rossi, to the public, and warns Peter against Cherry's father.

Peter and Cherry become estranged through the bitter enmity of their parents, Cherry's father telling her that Peter was a cad and poisoning her mind towards the Lawtons. Meanwhile Karl Rossi informs his partner that he means to marry Cherry.
Carson ridicules him, but Rossi threatens him with disgrace. There is a struggle between the two and Rossi is killed.

Cherry and her father fly to Paradise Valley in the mountains and try to forget the past in their solitude. Cherry runs a little farm to eke out a living, and Carson, drinking more heavily every day, at last dies. Peter, full or remorse, has been searching for Cherry for months and at last finds her, together with happiness in Paradise Valley.