Is this an uncredited Louise Brooks / Mildred Dixon?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
earlytalkiebuffRob

Is this an uncredited Louise Brooks / Mildred Dixon?

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 pm

About fourteen minutes into THE NICKEL-HOPPER (1926) a familiar face appeared when Mabel Normand was dancing with one of the sailors. I thought it was Mildred Dixon at first, but her earliest credit in IMDb was for WHOOPEE! in 1930. Would this be Miss Brooks herself, Miss Dixon, or just someone with a similar look?
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brooksie

Re: Is this an uncredited Louise Brooks?

Unread post by Brooksie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 pm

It's unlikely to be Brooks, who was already under contract to Paramount by that point.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Is this an uncredited Louise Brooks?

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 am

That's what I thought at first, but I could find no credit for Dixon before WHOOPEE! in 1930. As the girl is only seen very briefly amongst the spectators, perhaps it was extra work which may not have made it to IMDb...

Brooksie

Re: Is this an uncredited Louise Brooks / Mildred Dixon?

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:54 am

It's remotely possible, but it would strain credibility. Brooks was already being built up as a name by Paramount. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em and Just Another Blonde (made on loan-out to First National), in which she played major supporting roles, would have been in cinemas at the same time as The Nickel Hopper. It just wouldn't have made sense for Paramount to allow Hal Roach to shove someone they were hoping to turn into a star into the background.

The gal we're talking about does have the haircut and a certain facial resemblance, but in my opinion, it isn't Louise:

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm

As I wrote before, that was my first thought, as Louise Brooks was already getting decent sized parts in films such as IT'S THE OLD ARMY GAME. And Mildred Dixon, though unlisted before WHOOPEE! on IMDb could well have been doing tiny bits as an extra by then, although she was only about sixteen.

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:50 pm

"The Nickel-Hopper" was in production from 19 August through 3 September 1926, at which time Brooks was working on Just Another Blonde on the East Coast. Sources:
http://theluckycorner.com/crew/roach.html
http://www.pandorasbox.com/films/just_another_blonde

I don't know exactly when Mildred Dixon's family moved to California. Her father, Orville, is still found in Kansas City directories in 1922 and 1923. There were probably at least dozens of women working in Hollywood at the time who wore the Dutch bob style.

--HA