Gance's Napoleon in the US

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
gscottrobinson

Gance's Napoleon in the US

Unread post by gscottrobinson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 am

Has anyone in the states found a way to watch the Brownlow restoration of Napoleon? It looks like the BFI version is only available on B2 Blu Ray players. I toyed around with the idea of buying a multizone bluray player expressly for this purpose, but its a big investment for one movie.

gsr

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Gance's Napoleon in the US

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am

Once you have a region free player, it will soon not only be for one movie. It opens a world of films in editions not available in the US (or US editions to you, if you live elsewhere). Most easy to order through the Amazon sites in other countries.

I have a bunch I need to catch up with, maybe I'll devote my Old Movies in HD energy that way next.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am

Absolutely agreed. I order a batch every couple of months from Amazon.uk (and occasionally from .fr and .de) - great stuff from Masters of Cinema, BFI, etc. that you can't get elsewhere. Just buy it - it will be one of the best things you've ever got.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Here's a thread on region free blu-ray players. There might be an older one on DVD players.

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 32#p202832" target="_blank
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Unclehulot

Unread post by Unclehulot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 am

One other way around the region B situation is worth considering IF you have a setup including a fairly modern computer and a streaming device such as a Firetv, Roku, Chromecast or Apple TV. Also, you’ll need a good wifi setup and a BluRay drive (to rip the discs to your computer, NOT to play back directly). I only have Mac equipment so can only speak for that end of things. You can rip any region B Blu-ray Disc to an “mkv” file with Makemkv, which is a “free while in beta” (which has been for years now). This is a full resolution rip, not something like a Handbrake compressed rip. Now you need another free program, Plex (basically a server program), which you’ll use to point to the correct file, and then stream over your home network (which must be a good strong signal) and play back via one of the above streaming devices. You can also connect an HDMI cable directly to your tv if your computer is capable. VLC can playback mkv rips just fine if Plex is too much bother. Note: since Macs don’t support bluray playback officially, it doesn’t hang up with region differences at all. With DVDs, you should set the native “DVD player” app so that it doesn’t automatically open up the disc upon insertion, otherwise region 2 dvds WILL ask you to change the region setting of the drive, which you do not want to do!)

Of course this method has a lot of moving parts, but some of us have this all lying around waiting. I like ripping dvds too and playing back with Plex. It keeps track of your playback position, and has a nice interface. It’s good for those TV series sets that you can’t quite remember which was the last episode you played.

If my description is not detailed enough, here’s a guide: https://www.macworld.com/article/317935 ... brake.html" target="_blank

fwtep

Unread post by fwtep » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Yeah, I've used the MakeMKV method too. It's free, which is nice. Rip using MakeMKV from the Blu-ray drive in my PC, put the file on a thumb drive, and play from my Sony Blu-ray player.

Great Hierophant

Unread post by Great Hierophant » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 pm

I used MakeMKV to losslessly rip Napoleon and Universal Media Server to stream it to my PS3. My PS3 and streaming PC were both wired to my router so I could stream in the highest quality.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

It's worth the investment, especially considering Coppola's release of Napoleon in the US may very well prove inferior to Brownlow's. Thinking of what the score will be (his father's?) leaves me aghast, as it won't be Carl Davis' score, and who knows what the quality of the restoration itself will be and if it'll even happen as planned. Too many lingering uncertainties.