New Texas Guinan DVD Giveaway (Now on Ebay)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
tguinan

Re: New Texas Guinan DVD Giveaway (Now on Ebay)

Unread post by tguinan » Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Several people have asked if these and the Jack Duffy set will be on Ebay. The answer is yes, I just posted them.

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm

You have it wrong, it was about getting the message to tguinan and he did not get it and asked me to PM him again. So there!!!!!!, which I have done. For the record I have been in the same house 61 years.

Jonathan

Unread post by Jonathan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:33 pm

I'd like to thank the OP publicly for his generosity in sending this DVD across the Atlantic with beautiful artcards (and even following it with a revised edition).

What distinguishes these two-reelers from the hordes of silent Westerns is of course the sheer force of Texas Guinan's personality as the central heroines and the resulting reversal of traditional gender roles, especially in this genre (though of course she had real-life precursors such as Belle Starr, Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane, who all had movie reincarnations). Guinan dominates both the good guys and the bad guys around her, rescuing and protecting the nominal heroes, chasing, brawling with and shooting at the villains. Her thick, muscular arms and large hands seem to be deliberately emphasised and - in The Wildcat - they are implicitly contrasted with the artist hero's "dainty" hands (as an intertitle describes them).

Some of the putdowns are reminiscent of Sophie Tucker or Mae West, as when Guinan remarks that she's thinking of hanging one of the men from her Christmas tree. In the final moments of each film there is a minor concession to more patriarchal values, but I didn't believe it for a moment! They are certainly great fun and the lively music tracks complement Guinan's zesty characterisations.