Help Identifying Film and Actors

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
ccc2112

Unread post by ccc2112 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:24 pm

I recently found this image in Early Universal City by Robert Birchard. He describes it as an image from The Range Deadline (1913) of Lawrence Peyton and Noble Johnson. I have read in several sources that Noble Johnson was not in Hollywood or at Universal until a few years later-1915, at least. Does anyone know any way of verifying if this indeed is (a) a scene from The Range Deadline? and (b) Noble Johnson? I would really appreciate any leads!
Last edited by ccc2112 on Fri May 25, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boblipton

Re: Help Identifying Film and Actors

Unread post by boblipton » Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm

It would help to post a link or a page number or some reference to aid people who wish to help.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Google has posted 30 pages of the late Mr. Birchard’s book online. Above is a cropped image of the page in question.
Mr Johnson made a number of films with Iron Eyes Cody - if only they’d jointly shared screen time with J Carroll Naish, we’d have the makings of a Tim Burton biopic.
Last edited by JFK on Sun May 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

ccc2112

Unread post by ccc2112 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 am

JFK, thanks so much for posting that image. I was trying to upload it yesterday but couldn't get the file to work. Yes, that's the image from the book that I'm talking about. I'd love to know if that image is really of Noble Johnson and if so, is the image definitely of a film from 1913? That would put Noble Johnson in Hollywood a year before he said he began acting.

Turpinutz

Unread post by Turpinutz » Sat May 26, 2018 9:02 pm

ccc2112...

Though Noble Johnson and Larry Peyton did work together (as in the serial "The Red Ace" 1917), I don't think this is Johnson because the two men were of a similar 6' height and there looks to be at least a 4" difference between the two in this pic. If you (like Mr. Birchard) are positive it's Johnson, maybe the sheriff is not Peyton (or vice versa).

Speaking of Peyton, there's some wrong biographical info on him at IMdB. He was not born in 1895, but in August of 1881. Papers of the day claimed the actor was the first screen star to die in combat in France, presumedly in or about October of 1918. His IMdB biographer, Paul Rothwell-Smith, lists Peyton's death in France as occurred on October 10, 1918. Coincidentally another American soldier died at the same place, same time, and with the same name. However he was a 23 year old black man from Ohio. I - as of yet - can find nothing more on the actor, Lawrence R. Peyton nor his wife, Beulah Dean (aka Lois Spencer and/or Cora Douthitt). Coincidentally his older sister Florence was a theater actress who later married actor Fred Dunning. Their son was also an actor, Lawrence Dunning. ...Back to the books!

- SteveR

Turpinutz

Unread post by Turpinutz » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm

BTW, minutes after posting the above, I did locate Beulah (Douthitt) Peyton in the 1920 Los Angeles Census, listed as a '23' year old "Motion Picture Actress" residing at 4668 Hollywood Blvd, and "widowed'. She was actually born July 4, 1893, never remarried and died August 25, 1970, Los Angeles; she had an interesting early life.

- SR