Yet another Phantom Question!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
ChrisStockslager

Yet another Phantom Question!

Unread post by ChrisStockslager » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 pm

So, as far as I've read (via McQueen, Riley (oh dear...), and possibly Blake), The Phantom sweeping the opera cellars in the '29 credits is a body double. I assume in the '25 trailer it's also a double. Correct? I've also heard numerous times that all of The Phantom's shadows, be it on dressing room walls or during the chandelier dropping scene used a double as well. But Jon Mirsalis said on his commentary that all Phantom shadows are actually Chaney. Umm.... who's right?? Does anyone know for sure?

boblipton

Re: Yet another Phantom Question!

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 am

I think that if Jon Mirsalis says something about Chaney as a fact, then nod your head. Unless Michael Blake says otherwise. If that ever happens -- and I'm not saying it has, just saying if -- then don't be around.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

ChrisStockslager

Unread post by ChrisStockslager » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Lol! I really really hope it’s true! Besides the stupid opening credit sequence, I would love to think that every shadow you see is actually CHaney! Easily my favorite is the one inside the dragon’s head from the Wagner opera with the ballerinas!

Jack Theakston

Unread post by Jack Theakston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm

The reiussue titles (the one of the Phantom sweeping up) are a double. Everything else that exists of Chaney in shadow is undeniably Chaney.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

ChrisStockslager

Unread post by ChrisStockslager » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Jack Theakston wrote:The reiussue titles (the one of the Phantom sweeping up) are a double. Everything else that exists of Chaney in shadow is undeniably Chaney.
That’s wonderful!! I always assumed all shadows weren’t him! Now I have to rewatch it for the 547,321.3rd time!