The Official Silents online deals thread

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
s.w.a.c.

Re: The Official Silents online deals thread

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

CoffeeDan wrote:Just a reminder: The FORD AT FOX box set is still available at HamiltonBook.com for $39.95. (Sorry, Darren, couldn't get in here quick enough!)
D'oh! Sorry Darren!

Too bad the DVD Price Search site isn't a bit more far-ranging, the cheapest price for FORD AT FOX on there is $73. I'll have to have a closer look at that HamiltonBook.com site.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
CoffeeDan wrote:Just a reminder: The FORD AT FOX box set is still available at HamiltonBook.com for $39.95. (Sorry, Darren, couldn't get in here quick enough!)
D'oh! Sorry Darren!

Too bad the DVD Price Search site isn't a bit more far-ranging, the cheapest price for FORD AT FOX on there is $73. I'll have to have a closer look at that HamiltonBook.com site.
No biggie. I added several more discs to the order. I wanted to see them for years so it worked out well.

:D
"How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910's" by Darren Nemeth
https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/h ... the-1910s/

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
D'oh! Sorry Darren!

They won't ship to Canada, Stephen.

Jim

cinefan

Unread post by cinefan » Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

I just posted this in the Talkies deals thread but some of the titles included warrant posting here:

Kino Lorber Studio Classics is having a sale through May 29 on 143 titles.

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/v ... /may18sale" target="_blank

Some titles and prices (all blu-ray):

The Covered Wagon $10.99
It's the Old Army Game (1926) $8.99
Running Wild (1927) $8.99
Manhandled $8.99
Stage Struck $8.99
Zaza $8.99

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm

The Valentinos are both under $15/each too. I highly recommend this sale. It will only help with encouraging KINO to continue releasing silents that have long been unjustly neglected or sitting in the vaults of Paramount. The more, the merrier.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks, cinefan and keatonesque.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 am

cinefan wrote:I just posted this in the Talkies deals thread but some of the titles included warrant posting here:

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/v ... /may18sale" target="_blank" target="_blank

The Covered Wagon $10.99
Manhandled $8.99
Stage Struck $8.99
Zaza $8.99
Wow, they gave up fast on the W.C. Fields titles.

Jim

Lonesome Luke

Unread post by Lonesome Luke » Fri May 18, 2018 10:24 am

cinefan wrote:I just posted this in the Talkies deals thread but some of the titles included warrant posting here:

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/v ... /may18sale" target="_blank

The Covered Wagon $10.99
Manhandled $8.99
Stage Struck $8.99
Zaza $8.99
Thanks, just purchased the two Fields films. Comes out to $28.98 USD with shipping (which should come out to about $36 CAD). I was waiting for Amazon to lower their price to about 20 bucks a piece (plus shipping) before buying them, so this is better. Now I can continue reading The W.C. Fields Films by James L Neibaur.

cinefan

Unread post by cinefan » Fri May 18, 2018 11:50 am

Lonesome Luke wrote: Thanks, just purchased the two Fields films. Comes out to $28.98 USD with shipping (which should come out to about $36 CAD). I was waiting for Amazon to lower their price to about 20 bucks a piece (plus shipping) before buying them, so this is better. Now I can continue reading The W.C. Fields Films by James L Neibaur.
This probably doesn't help you in Canada since I assume it is for US shipping only, but shipping is free if your order is $50 or more. I think shipping is fairly steep if you don't hit that threshold, so once you get in the neighborhood of $40 or so worth of discs it's probably worth seeing if adding a disc is actually a better deal (again, I assume only in the US).

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pm

cinefan wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote: Thanks, just purchased the two Fields films. Comes out to $28.98 USD with shipping (which should come out to about $36 CAD). I was waiting for Amazon to lower their price to about 20 bucks a piece (plus shipping) before buying them, so this is better. Now I can continue reading The W.C. Fields Films by James L Neibaur.
This probably doesn't help you in Canada since I assume it is for US shipping only, but shipping is free if your order is $50 or more. I think shipping is fairly steep if you don't hit that threshold, so once you get in the neighborhood of $40 or so worth of discs it's probably worth seeing if adding a disc is actually a better deal (again, I assume only in the US).
You are correct: free shipping only applies in the USA.

Jim

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri May 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Not to mention that Kino has the new 3d BluRay of "The Maze" at a discount also.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Sat May 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I went ahead and ordered nearly all the silents that they have a discount on.

And also all of the recent 3-D restorations.

Phew! Now to watch them all!

:D

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Sat May 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Me too. I hope this means they'll release another batch of silents. Perhaps this time focusing on the several restored films of Pola Negri. Or one more Swanson – Fine Manners. Though I don't recall if that one's 16mm or 35mm or if it's even been restored.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Sat May 19, 2018 11:03 pm

I asked "Kino Insider" (on HTF) a few days ago whether more silents were in the works. He replied that the upcoming titles (OLD IRONSIDES and YOU NEVER KNOW WOMEN) were the last from the present agreement. I then expressed hope that another agreement for more titles will be forthcoming...so, it can't hurt for interested parties to go to HTF and speak up if you'd like to see more.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Danny Burk wrote:I asked "Kino Insider" (on HTF) a few days ago whether more silents were in the works. He replied that the upcoming titles (OLD IRONSIDES and YOU NEVER KNOW WOMEN) were the last from the present agreement. I then expressed hope that another agreement for more titles will be forthcoming...so, it can't hurt for interested parties to go to HTF and speak up if you'd like to see more.
Kino Insider can always check in here to see all the enthusiasm! :wink: In any case, it seems like many of us purchased most or all of the silents released as part of this deal in the past year or so, which one hopes is encouraging enough to prompt serious interest in another agreement that will continue with Bow (Kid Boots!), Negri, Swanson, and other surprises like the Wellman. Silents on BD seem to have momentum now so here's to hoping KINO is motivated and Paramount is willing, yes?

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 am

I concur with your suggestion for Changing Husbands, Danny, along with the gentleman that requests a Broken Blossoms BD once a year. The latter may be much more likely, however, if the Pickford Foundation gets around to restoring it with a 4K scan as they will be doing with Griffith's Lady of the Pavements sometime this or next year.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am

Danny Burk wrote:I asked "Kino Insider" (on HTF) a few days ago whether more silents were in the works. He replied that the upcoming titles (OLD IRONSIDES and YOU NEVER KNOW WOMEN) were the last from the present agreement. I then expressed hope that another agreement for more titles will be forthcoming...so, it can't hurt for interested parties to go to HTF and speak up if you'd like to see more.
Danny, I just took your advice and did just that. I encourage others to do the same.

Matthew

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm

TCM is having a "Silent Sunday" sale on discs from several distributors.
https://shop.tcm.com/silent-sunday/b237050#!?pagenum=1

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 pm

silentfilm wrote:TCM is having a "Silent Sunday" sale on discs from several distributors.
https://shop.tcm.com/silent-sunday/b237050#!?pagenum=1
Fortunately, most of these (and all BDs) can be had for cheaper on Amazon, and KINO's silents were all cheaper during their sale that concludes tonight. TCM also offers no free shipping option if you spend this or that much either. Quite disappointing.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am

Jim Roots wrote:
cinefan wrote:
You are correct: free shipping only applies in the USA.
Kino-Lorber offers free shipping to Canada, but only on orders of $100 or more. I have a friend that usually likes to go in on these orders with me, so it usually works out alright (he might only get a few discs, but it still beats buying titles I'm half-hearted about just to get free shipping, which I have done in the past).
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 pm

The Passion of Joan of Arc Criterion Collection Blu-ray.
$19.11, 52% off at Amazon (US).

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Joan-Cri ... dpSrc=srch" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

TheyHadFaces

Unread post by TheyHadFaces » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Kino has entire catalog at 50 to 70% off.

IA

Unread post by IA » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:The Passion of Joan of Arc Criterion Collection Blu-ray.
$19.11, 52% off at Amazon (US).
Thanks! I purchased my copy yesterday. What a difference Blu-Ray will be from the U-matic tape I first viewed this film with!

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am