The Official Silents online deals thread

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
kndy

Unread post by kndy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am

Masters of Cinema revised their August sales offering and added more to their sales list:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/augustoffers.html

MissValentina

Unread post by MissValentina » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 pm

For UK members, retailers such as Boyes, Poundworld and Poundland are retailing Charlie Chaplin and Fatty Arbuckle early comedies for just £1 ;)

35MM

Unread post by 35MM » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 am

Barnes & Noble is now advertising the von Sternberg collection at $47.99. With a coupon code (N7Y9U9J) you can get another 15% off so it comes out to $40.79, about 49% off total. If you get the regular e-mails from B&N you'll have other codes to use, maybe as high as 50% off.

3 Silent Classics
CURSES!

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am

Eureka/Masters of Cinema have a special offer for their upcoming release of "Metropolis" on Blu-ray and DVD that ends on Sept. 2nd:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/metrop.html

I'm not sure yet if the release will be region-locked though... I know KINO asked them too but not sure if they decided if they will or not.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 am

Not a silent, but today's Daily Deep Deal is a Blu-Ray box set of Gone With The Wind - $42.48, which they say lists at $84.95.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/

The price will (probably) be for today only, Sep. 2.

Deep Discount is also having a sale on the TCM Classics collections, 4 movies on 2 discs.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/TCM-Greates ... ions-Sale/

Rick

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Adding to what Rick posted, Deep Discount is having a buy one get one free sale which includes Kino Blu-rays:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm?f ... erPage=250

You literally get two Blu-rays for $22.72 shipped for free.

Battleship Potemkin, The General and Steamboat Bill are included in this sale.

Jason Liller

Unread post by Jason Liller » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Did I hear someone say that Barnes and Noble is going to have another 50% off Criterion sale before the end of the year?
--Jason Liller

I'm watching every Hitchcock film, in order: www.HitchcockOneByOne.blogspot.com

My on-again, off-again movie blog: www.MovieLiteracy.blogspot.com

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Jason Liller wrote:Did I hear someone say that Barnes and Noble is going to have another 50% off Criterion sale before the end of the year?
They normally do in November.

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Deep Discount added more titles including more KINO to the Deep Discount Labor Day sale.

Mazamette

Nice deals on Borzage silents at Amazon UK

Unread post by Mazamette » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 am

I've just noticed that the BFI sets Frank Borzage Volume One and Volume 2 are on sale at Amazon UK for £7.99 each, which, with the VAT removed comes to £6.80, which, with £3.08 added for shipping to US destinations, comes to the equivalent of $15.25 delivered -- an excellent deal for either of these nice sets.

Volume 1 has 7th Heaven and Street Angel on a single disc, as well as a nicely-produced 32-page booklet.

Volume 2 has Lucky Star and the execrable talkie Liliom, and another well done 32-page booklet.

I've had both of these sets for awhile now, and they're excellent values at full price (especially considering the stateside alternatives when looking for these titles) but, yeah, I wish I'd got a deal this good when I'd bought them. The usual cautions regarding player compatibility apply, of course, but unless you wanna spring for the Borzage/Murnau Behemoth Set, I think these are a great way to own these four films on DVD.

kndy

Re: Nice deals on Borzage silents at Amazon UK

Unread post by kndy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Mazamette wrote:I've just noticed that the BFI sets Frank Borzage Volume One and Volume 2 are on sale at Amazon UK for £7.99 each, which, with the VAT removed comes to £6.80, which, with £3.08 added for shipping to US destinations, comes to the equivalent of $15.25 delivered -- an excellent deal for either of these nice sets.
Thanks Mazamette. I ordered both and it came out to $6.80 but since I'm in California, a slight more at $4.07. Total: £17.67 But that's a steal!!! I considered getting the Borzage/Murnau set but having to be more budget-conscious and price-wise, I'm opting for these BFI sets.

Note: For those ordering, shipping date is October 4th.

Mazamette

Unread post by Mazamette » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Glad you were able to snag 'em at that great price, kndy. They're really very nice editions.

Another BFI release that Amazon UK has on sale right now that's very much worth the 16 bucks (or so) is Kenneth Macpherson's 1930 silent Borderline, starring Paul and Eslanda Robeson. I was peripherally aware that this film was available on DVD for some time (primarily on Criterion's Robeson set), but since it's almost always talked about as being "indebted to" Eisenstein and Pabst, I figured it might be imitative and weak. Not so -- on seeing it I found it to be innovative and engaging. It's been on sale on Amazon UK at £7.99 for about a month or so now. Well worth adding to the collection.

Enjoy the Borzages -- including Liliom! Oy!

Gary Newman

Unread post by Gary Newman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like Amazon UK has all BFI DVDs on Sale, including the German silent documentary about life in Berlin, People on a Sunday (1930), made by Robert Siodmak, Curt Siodmak, Edgar G. Ulmer, Fred Zinnemann and Billy Wilder! Also take a look at the sex ed compilation, Joy of Sex Education, which goes back to 1917.

Mazamette

Unread post by Mazamette » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah, Amazon UK has had a lot of great deals on BFI releases lately. One excellent BFI set I picked up recently for £5.99 is Peter Brook's epic Mahabarata from 1989. (Though of course that's kind of off-topic for Nitrateville).

Another current great bargain is the Eureka release of Pudovkin's Storm Over Asia for a ridiculous £2.99...

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 am

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:02 am

kndy wrote:Anyone know how these releases were?

Piccadilly

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piccadilly-DVD- ... d_h__img_b

This looks visually fine and has scenes missing from the American cut. Neil Brand's score isn't for everyone- he's a skillful and talented musician but I don't think this one works- it made the film feel longer than it was. Your opinion may be different.
Eric Stott

Mazamette

Unread post by Mazamette » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 am

The BFI Piccadilly can currently be had for about $12.50 or so on US Amazon, from a couple of British sellers in the Marketplace, so it'd probably be just as cheap to buy it stateside, pretty much. The Milestone release has gone out of print, apparently, and is going in the range of $70.00 used in the US Amazon Marketplace these days.

(Frank Fay, what's different between the BFI and Milestone Piccadillies? I thought they were the same? Same regrettable score, same peculiar design for the intertitles...which don't look original to me. Isn't the Milestone just the BFI restoration in NTSC?)

As far as Silent Britain, it's on the excellent Kino disc of A Cottage on Dartmoor as an extra, so it seems to me that for someone in the US that'd be the version to have.

I'm awfully curious about the Paul films.

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Mazamette

Unread post by Mazamette » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Jeepers, thanks for that, kndy! I was pleased to order The Magic of Melies and The Haunted Castle at those prices, two items that have been on my list for a long while but never quite made it to the top until now. Thanks!

Jason Liller

Unread post by Jason Liller » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Thank you! I guess it's finally time to spring for "Gaumont Treasures"!
--Jason Liller

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm

No problem. Just remember that if it's its sold out, they usually take about 2-3 weeks but you won't be charged until they process the order which is cool.

By any chance, does anyone know which is the better box set....the German Horror Classics or the German Expressionism set?

Also, does anyone know if these two titles are any good?

Dziga Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera
Houdini: The Movie Star

Jason Liller

Unread post by Jason Liller » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 pm

I heard good things about the Houdini set, but I don't have first-hand experience.

Kino's edition of THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI is a good one. Note that it appears in both sets. Also, be aware that the edition of NOSFERATU in the horror box is NOT the newer, 2-disc version.

The DVD Review Database (aka DVD-Basen) is an excellent site for assembling DVD reviews from across the net. You may have some of your questions answered there: http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3
--Jason Liller

Paul Penna

Warning about Deep Discount purchases

Unread post by Paul Penna » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

The first page you get after entering your payment info and want to complete your order has a big "submit" button that actually enrolls you in something called "SavingsAce" which, after a free 30 day trial, automatically starts charging your credit card $19.95 per month. To avoid this and just get on with your DDD order, you have to click the small, text-only "no thanks" link.

I wasn't watching carefully, and enrolled myself in the program. Fortunately, once I got my confirmation email from SavingsAce, I was able to go to their web site where I theoretically cancelled my membership.

Jason Liller

Unread post by Jason Liller » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I hate that! I think it devalues their whole site and I guarantee that anyone who accidentally signs up (not hard to do) is NOT going to be a repeat customer.
--Jason Liller

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 pm

The DDD thing sure left a bad taste in my mouth. But I did theoretically pick up the Steamboat Bill Jr. Blu-Ray for $14.85, although it's presently out of stock.

Richard Finegan

Unread post by Richard Finegan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:42 am

[quote="kndy"]
Silent Film Sale at Deep Discount
http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm?f ... PerPage=48[/quote]
=======================
Anyone who hasn't yet picked up the Kino set of Buster Keaton Educational shorts, now's the time, before someone tells them that they're not silent films and really should not be included in this sale.

35MM

Metropolis

Unread post by 35MM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 am

The Masters of Cinema limited edition of Metropolis comes in three editions. One each for DVD, Blu-Ray and a dual format set that includes both. It's essentially the same price (£17.99) for the dual format set which almost makes it a no-brainer for anyone interested in this edition. Still no positive info on the region encoding, however.

Metropolis
CURSES!

Mazamette

The Winning of Barbara Worth -- Amazon

Unread post by Mazamette » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Ronald Colman, Gary Cooper and Vilma Banky and an epic flood in The Winning of Barbara Worth, in a great transfer, accompanied by Gaylord Carter -- it's selling new on Amazon marketplace for $1.24 (& shipping). There are several sellers to choose from, including ClassicFlix (at $1.84). That's a crazy deal!

Mazamette

Unread post by Mazamette » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 am

Oops -- just wanted to add that this is the DVD from the MGM Movie Legends Gary Cooper 4-disc box set I'm talking about, shipped by its lonesome in a slim case. A top-quality release of Cooper's first featured role, not a bargain version as the low price might suggest.

kndy

Unread post by kndy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:36 pm

KINO Silent sale on the following titles for $9.99

Alibi
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=4

Blind Husbands / The Great Gabbo
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?product_id=674

College
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=69

I don't have "Alibi", anyone recommend it?