new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 am

BenModel wrote:Thanks, Ed! You got the ball rolling on this with your MD KS's.

Currently $2500 over the funding goal.

Ben
Wow! Very impressive! Some great project supporters out there.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Mark Zimmer
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Mark Zimmer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 am

I'm in at the $75 level too. Nearly double-funded!

Online
User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Ben, your earlier campaigns topped out at about 125 contributors. This one is in its second day and has more than 180 and is double funded already. Is it Marion Davies alone, do you think, or has some critical mass been reached?

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:56 pm

boblipton wrote:Ben, your earlier campaigns topped out at about 125 contributors. This one is in its second day and has more than 180 and is double funded already. Is it Marion Davies alone, do you think, or has some critical mass been reached?

Bob
It's Marion Davies
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Jerfilm
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:39 am
Location: Now live in Cassville, WI
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Jerfilm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Wow, thousands over. Great job. Oh for sure, I'm in.

Jerry

Stephen Terrill
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 am

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Stephen Terrill » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:24 am

Is it also possible that more people are contributing because of the inclusion of the Blu-ray? I have a hard time spending money on DVDs nowadays, particularly for a movie I have never seen. It is also frustrating to know that some of these releases are coming from 2K scans, but only available in a downgraded form on DVD. Sure, there might not much of a difference between the Blu-ray and DVD versions on smaller screens, but a lot of people have large viewing displays now. Thanks to Ben and Greenbriar Picture Shows for including the Blu-ray!

User avatar
didi-5
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by didi-5 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Great stuff, I'm in!

User avatar
westegg
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 am

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by westegg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Oh yeah, I'm in.

:)

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Ben, can you give more info on tints? Was original film tinted?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:26 pm

One of four films Marion Davies starred in with Forrest Stanley as her leading man.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Gagman 66
Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:28 pm

:o Mentioned this already on Facebook the other day. With all the extra funds and so much time remaining, any chance of a double bill with LITTLE OLD NEW YORK, or if there are copyright issues, maybe BEAUTY'S WORTH?

User avatar
Harlett O'Dowd
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 am

In.

Huzzah!

(fwiw, I would also add LITTLE OLD NEW YORK to my wish list. Actually, *any* NY productions circa 1923 - like Barthelmess' THE FIGHTING BLADE)

Online
User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by boblipton » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:47 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:In.

Huzzah!

(fwiw, I would also add LITTLE OLD NEW YORK to my wish list. Actually, *any* NY productions circa 1923 - like Barthelmess' THE FIGHTING BLADE)
There's a good print of that Davies film around. Saw it a few years ago.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

User avatar
pickfair14
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by pickfair14 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:56 am

this is my favourite Marion Davies film. Can't wait to see it on blu-ray. Thanks for doing this Ben, I've signed up
My Mary Pickford Collection: http://www.211university.ca/

User avatar
NotSoSilent
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 am

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by NotSoSilent » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Count me in!! Thank you, as always, for doing these releases!

BenModel
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by BenModel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Folks, not sure if I can add another film to the project, because of the time commitment required and the window of time that I have available to produce this release. But I will do some research on LITTLE OLD which, after all, has Harry "Musty" Watson Jr. in the cast doing his famous boxing routine.

Thanks for pledging!

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 pm

BenModel wrote:Folks, not sure if I can add another film to the project, because of the time commitment required and the window of time that I have available to produce this release. But I will do some research on LITTLE OLD which, after all, has Harry "Musty" Watson Jr. in the cast doing his famous boxing routine.

Thanks for pledging!

Ben
I don't think LONY is public domain.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

BenModel
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by BenModel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Well, it IS from 1923, but I haven't looked up whether it has any renewals.

Fun fact: Geo. Kleine, in his waning days as a distributor/producer, tried to bring legal action against Cosmopolitan for using the boxing routine as it appears in the Musty Suffer short HOLD FAST (1916), but lost. The act was Watson's, after all, and he'd been doing it in the Follies years before the Musty shorts. I found some correspondence from GK to Cosmo Prods in the Kleine files at LoC, and Steve M. found some other info on this as well.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:59 am

BenModel wrote:Well, it IS from 1923, but I haven't looked up whether it has any renewals.

Fun fact: Geo. Kleine, in his waning days as a distributor/producer, tried to bring legal action against Cosmopolitan for using the boxing routine as it appears in the Musty Suffer short HOLD FAST (1916), but lost. The act was Watson's, after all, and he'd been doing it in the Follies years before the Musty shorts. I found some correspondence from GK to Cosmo Prods in the Kleine files at LoC, and Steve M. found some other info on this as well.

Ben
I thought PD applied generally to films made BEFORE 1923.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Danny Burk
Moderator
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
Location: South Bend, IN
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Danny Burk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:39 am

drednm wrote:I thought PD applied generally to films made BEFORE 1923.....
That's for them to have a blanket status of PD. Individual films are PD if they didn't get renewed after the first 28 year copyright period expired, e.g. PHANTOM, THE GENERAL, STEAMBOAT BILL, and many other "staples" that have been around for years.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:59 am

Danny Burk wrote:
drednm wrote:I thought PD applied generally to films made BEFORE 1923.....
That's for them to have a blanket status of PD. Individual films are PD if they didn't get renewed after the first 28 year copyright period expired, e.g. PHANTOM, THE GENERAL, STEAMBOAT BILL, and many other "staples" that have been around for years.
Yes.... A 1923 film MAY be public domain, but it's not in the pre-1923 group.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Harlett O'Dowd
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 am

Is there a way to check which post-1922 silents have fallen through the cracks?

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:Is there a way to check which post-1922 silents have fallen through the cracks?
No easy way that I know of. Usually a safe bet that almost anything from MGM or Paramount will still be under copyright. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess ... or legal search.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
rogerskarsten
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 pm
Location: Hildesheim, Germany

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by rogerskarsten » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:45 pm

drednm wrote:
Harlett O'Dowd wrote:Is there a way to check which post-1922 silents have fallen through the cracks?
No easy way that I know of. Usually a safe bet that almost anything from MGM or Paramount will still be under copyright. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess ... or legal search.
There is a big blue book of U.S. copyright records on films made from the beginnings into the 1960s. It also contains notes on the initial copyright renewals of each film -- if there is no annotation, the film was not renewed after 28 years.
I don't have the exact title of the book at hand, but it can be found, for example, in larger university research libraries.
~Roger

User avatar
Frederica
Posts: 4853
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Kowea Town, Los Angeles

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Frederica » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm in, thanks for doing this.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

BenModel
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by BenModel » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks for pledging, Frederica!

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

BenModel
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by BenModel » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:48 am

FYI, the copyright on LITTLE OLD NEW YORK (1923) was renewed, and is therefore not in the public domain. I have just had this checked and confirmed.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by drednm » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 am

BenModel wrote:FYI, the copyright on LITTLE OLD NEW YORK (1923) was renewed, and is therefore not in the public domain. I have just had this checked and confirmed.

Ben

Told ya! :roll:
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Gagman 66
Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:23 pm

:? Err, that's why I mentioned BEAUTY'S WORTH.

Online
User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:46 pm

drednm wrote:
BenModel wrote:FYI, the copyright on LITTLE OLD NEW YORK (1923) was renewed, and is therefore not in the public domain. I have just had this checked and confirmed.

Ben

Told ya! :roll:
Some days, we'd rather be wrong.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Post Reply