KICKSTARTER: Little Orphant Annie (1918) COLLEEN MOORE

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
ymmv

Re: KICKSTARTER: Little Orphant Annie (1918) COLLEEN MOORE

Unread post by ymmv » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 am

How can I buy this on Amazon? I'm happy to support anyone who brings silent movies to us in HD quality. DVD image quality is simply not good enough on bigger HDTVs.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 am

ymmv wrote:How can I buy this on Amazon? I'm happy to support anyone who brings silent movies to us in HD quality. DVD image quality is simply not good enough on bigger HDTVs.
You need to buy it from Eric.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Eric Grayson

Unread post by Eric Grayson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:12 pm

It's now available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZFSNMM" target="_blank

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:48 am

The film was restored, or almost :

"The film is framed at 1.37:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. Culled from five different sources which included materials on video, 16mm, and 35mm (the sequence used from 35mm is readily identifiable with its crisper, more detailed appearance), the transfer is as good as we’re likely ever going to get with this title. There is the damage, scratches, judder, and variable densities that one would expect from a film that is a century old, and sharpness and softness ping-pong back and forth as they must due to whichever element is being used for a particular shot, but it’s all acceptable knowing how close the movie came to not being saved at all. The movie has been divided into 7 chapters."

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/little ... ay-review/

If the restoration used video as one of the sources, it's a indication that someone took a film element, made a transfer, but didn't care (or have no money) to make a film preservation copy.
Keep thinking...

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Eric Grayson discusses the restoration at length on the commentary track. I believe that some of the scenes added back into the film only existed on video. He also had a print from the Library of Congress that was in the final stages of nitrate decomposition, but he was able to transfer some sections from it. Several of the prints of the film had scenes that were not in any of the other prints.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 pm

21 century and Library Of Congress still allows unic 35mm nitrate decompose like that ?

I imagined they had better care with unic prints at least...
Keep thinking...

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Write them a check, and they will.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 am

Well, a simple copy to 35mm fine grain it's not so expansive as a restoration project itself. Unic films, important form such star, unic, usualy get funds. I suspect they didn't notice it had deteriorated.

Anyway I wish someoine had created a frame by frame print scanner, like a film gate adapted to a good dynamic range digital camera, low price, to be used by many students to copy films that are in difficult situation.
Mike Gebert wrote:Write them a check, and they will.
Keep thinking...

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 am

Rather than speculate, you can hear how it was actually done here.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 am

The reality is distressing: so much to be done, so little time and money and manpower to do it. However, I believe that people are motivated more strongly by a smile and a thank you than by a snarl and a lecture -- G*d knows we get the latter combination every place else, so often, that we don't even hear them any more, only the windmills in our minds.

I was eating at one of my favorite restaurants, the Grand Central Oyster Bar, and had a particularly good meal. Believing, as I do, that it's a good thing to tell the manager when something is particularly good, as well as when something is bad, I found the manager and said "I'm used to a high level of service and cusine here, but with this dish, you've surpassed yourself." "I'm sorry," he said. "It'll never happen again."

Isn't it a sad world to live in, where the constant litany of complaints means you can't even hear the all too rare compliment? Try to compliment people a little more often when they deserve it, and to support them, however you can, if not with money, with a smile. You'd be surprised at what a difference it can make.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:11 pm

It wasn't my intantion to put down the effort of restorers !!!

But the restorers had to work with materials, and if the materials are not well care (money it's a huge problem) the work get difficulties.

With so much digital technology I really believe something more can be done on emergencial situations bases. Took 100 students, give them film gates adapted to HD of high dynamic range, and give then student credits for each film reel they transfer.
Just a idea I had... It don't mean I'm stoning anybody or that I don't give value to they efforts.

I really understand that there are many film restorers that are trulkly heroes. Let me express this clear, please.
Many thanks for these guys to save cultural heritage. :D
Keep thinking...

Eric Grayson

Unread post by Eric Grayson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Little Orphant Annie was made up primarily of four sources:

1. A complete 16mm diacetate print that had been censored, missing many scenes from R1, and the entire intro scene in R2 of Annie going to her uncle's. Most of the restoration is from this print.

2. A 16mm diacetate of R1 and R3 that had several of the missing scene intact. About 2-3 min of this are used in R1 and the entirety of R3 (minus a couple of shots here and there) is from this print.

3. A 35mm nitrate of the film that was almost too decomposed to use. I'm not here to criticize the LoC. They do magnificent work. Annie was pretty bad when they GOT it, and now it is no more. It was fully tinted, and I got the tint record (as much as possible) from it, and used about 2 min from R1 and about 6 min from R4.

4. A video copy that was also cut, but had some shots (notably the sequence of Annie going to her uncle's in R2) that was missing in all of the other prints. There are a couple of brief shots later in R2 from this, and the very beginning of R5 comes from this print. The video had to be used because the print it was made from went vinegar and was tossed out before I got it. It was very poorly transferred and I cleaned it up as much as possible. It was transferred in interlace mode and it was transferred at a very slow speed, both of which had to be corrected.

I also used a fifth print from a private collector as a continuity reference although none of it appears in the final restoration. It was a 3-reel cutdown of the film, which was interesting, but with no unique footage, although its R1 continuity was better than the first two prints.

Some notes:
The negative for R1 of Annie had been left in tinting order, so the shots are out of sequence in all of the surviving 16mms. This means that the credit for Annie as a child comes first, and Annie as Colleen Moore actually shows up before the child Annie shows up because of the reordering. This needed to be fixed.

"Digital" does not mean "magic." There was extensive digital work done on this to clean it up, including stabilizing, de-dirting, exposure matching, re-framing, rescaling, title cleanup, and other much other work. Bottom line: if it's from video or 16mm, it has a "soft" look to it that I can't fix. It's better than Standard Def, but it's not perfect, and it won't be, and it can't be. Digital doesn't mean infinitely sharp, and you can't make sharpness happen that's gone in the prints. I wish the whole film looked as good as the storm sequence in R4, but it doesn't.

The final restoration was indeed output to 35mm film.

If someone would like to do a better restoration, I will send you all my materials and I invite you to have fun with it.

Eric

Eric Grayson

Unread post by Eric Grayson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:54 pm

By the way, Amazon has a few Orphant Annie DVD/Blus on sale for $19.99 for a limited time.

http://www.drfilm.net/amazon

(make sure to get the one with the blue cover. That's the restored version.)