Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
BenModel
Posts: 1276
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by BenModel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed the scores, Jim! This was a fun project.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7583
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by drednm » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 am

Got mine today. Thanks!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

avance
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Barbican, London
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by avance » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:18 am

BenModel wrote:Glad you enjoyed the scores, Jim! This was a fun project.

Ben
drednm wrote:Got mine today. Thanks!
Somehow, I completely missed this Kickstarter project.

Can I still purchase the DVD Ben?

Amran

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 pm

avance wrote:
Somehow, I completely missed this Kickstarter project.

Can I still purchase the DVD Ben?

Amran
Hi there,

I am working on making the DVD available for retail sale through Amazon and anticipate it being ready by mid-July or early August. I'll definitely make an announcement when it is available. :D

avance
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Barbican, London
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by avance » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Movies Silently wrote:
avance wrote:
Somehow, I completely missed this Kickstarter project.

Can I still purchase the DVD Ben?

Amran
Hi there,

I am working on making the DVD available for retail sale through Amazon and anticipate it being ready by mid-July or early August. I'll definitely make an announcement when it is available. :D
Great. Thanks Fritzi.

User avatar
silentfilm
Moderator
Posts: 9418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:50 pm

I received mine on Friday, and watched it this afternoon. The feature was good for the teens. Director Alan Crosland kept the film moving. Joseph Burke overacted a little as the mean uncle Ebeneezer. I thought Raymond McKee was fine as David Balfour. Except for a scratch during the ship-board scenes, the film looks great -- and it's from 16mm! The tinting is lovely, both on the feature and the charming Little Red Riding Hood. It was interesting seeing Friends, Romans & Leo with some of the same cast (and the same director!). I guess that Edison didn't have a dedicated comedy unit.

Ben Model's music is good as usual. Thank you Fritzi for producing a fascinating and professional DVD program.

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 am

silentfilm wrote:I received mine on Friday, and watched it this afternoon. The feature was good for the teens. Director Alan Crosland kept the film moving. Joseph Burke overacted a little as the mean uncle Ebeneezer. I thought Raymond McKee was fine as David Balfour. Except for a scratch during the ship-board scenes, the film looks great -- and it's from 16mm! The tinting is lovely, both on the feature and the charming Little Red Riding Hood. It was interesting seeing Friends, Romans & Leo with some of the same cast (and the same director!). I guess that Edison didn't have a dedicated comedy unit.

Ben Model's music is good as usual. Thank you Fritzi for producing a fascinating and professional DVD program.
So glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I definitely agree that Burke was playing to the cheap seats in that one. Much "Curse you, Jack Dalton!" gesticulation. A darn shame about that scratch too.

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 am

I will be announcing the DVD street date soon but in the meantime, I set up a mailing list for anyone interested in JUST my crowdfunding, DVD releasing antics. (The link just goes to my blog post on the topic, no auto signups or other chicanery.)

http://moviessilently.com/2018/07/12/ke ... -and-more/" target="_blank

User avatar
NotSoSilent
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by NotSoSilent » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 am

I really enjoyed this, thank you for your hard work - it certainly paid off! I've often wondered what it would be like to see "a night at the movies" as an audience did back in the silent days, and now I can say I did!

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

NotSoSilent wrote:I really enjoyed this, thank you for your hard work - it certainly paid off! I've often wondered what it would be like to see "a night at the movies" as an audience did back in the silent days, and now I can say I did!
Hurrah! Just what I love to hear!

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I just wanted to give everyone an update. Kidnapped now has a street date of August 21, 2018. Here's the preview I cut together, which also includes some of Ben Model's fantastic scores.

Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

User avatar
martin arias
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:42 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by martin arias » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am

I'm ordering one as soon as it's possible! Would it be on amazon?

Histogram
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Histogram » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Movies Silently wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 am
I definitely agree that Burke was playing to the cheap seats in that one. Much "Curse you, Jack Dalton!" gesticulation.
I look forward to watching this at some point. In the novel, Uncle is quite the over-the-top character. So that might serve as something of an excuse for the broad acting.

Stevenson did make the uncle a bit complicated, in that the character apparently was quite the good-looking normal lad in his youth and only later became a conniving miser.

User avatar
Movies Silently
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Movies Silently » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:38 am

Greetings! Kidnapped is available for sale now!

Here's the purchase link.

MikeH0714
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by MikeH0714 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Looking forward to getting this! Here's a review (or, more likely, a press release) of the program that appeared in the Fairmont West Virginian on September 28, 1917. The films were running at the Nelson Theater that day. (Side note: The Nelson was supposedly at 314 Main Street. When I Googled, not only could I not find the address, I couldn't even find a "Main Street" in the town!)

CONQUEST PROGRAM AT NELSON
Number nine of the Conquest Programs from the Thos. Edison Studios is showing at the Nelson today. The preceding numbers have all proved of such uniform excellence that they are now accepted on their face as an attraction of unusual merit. The subjects dealt with in today's arrangement are diversified and if there is anything at all in it that does not have universal appeal, there are bound to be, on account of its length, features that will please everybody. The longest celluloid is a drama of many exciting episodes, of which the title “Kidnapped” is suggestive. Following this comes a scenic section of interesting views of “Quaint Provincetown, Cape Cod, Mass.,” an animated silhouette with the title “Little Red Riding Hood;” a scientific reel “Microscopic Pond Life" and “Friends, Romans and Leo,” a high class comedy.

Michael

User avatar
Rick Lanham
Posts: 2034
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

MikeH0714 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:09 pm
Looking forward to getting this! Here's a review (or, more likely, a press release) of the program that appeared in the Fairmont West Virginian on September 28, 1917. The films were running at the Nelson Theater that day. (Side note: The Nelson was supposedly at 314 Main Street. When I Googled, not only could I not find the address, I couldn't even find a "Main Street" in the town!)

Michael
I've just checked some city directories* for Fairmont, WV. There was definitely a Main Street at the time. The 1917 directory lists the address for the Nelson Theatre as 316 Main. There must have been a name change since then.

* on Ancestry.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Post Reply