Page 2 of 3

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm
by Movies Silently
Thanks so much to everyone who backed the project and to Ben for helping to spread the word. :D

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 am
by Movies Silently
I've added a stretch goal!

If we reach $7,000, I'll include a booklet with background information, book-to-film discussion and other nerdiness.

Here's the link to my update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ts/2038659" target="_blank

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 am
by rudyfan
Movies Silently wrote:I've added a stretch goal!

If we reach $7,000, I'll include a booklet with background information, book-to-film discussion and other nerdiness.

Here's the link to my update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ts/2038659" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Excellent stretch goal! Looks like you will make it, too!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 pm
by boblipton
The stretch goals seem to be slowing things down. Maybe you need to market them like the Sybilline Books.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:07 pm
by BenModel
This is not unusual after the initial blast of pledges. Things typically pick up again a few days before the campaign ends. But that's just me...

Ben

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 pm
by Movies Silently
Ben's right, Kickstarter even has a name for it: the Trough.

Image

They found that most campaigns get spikes at the beginning and spikes at the end and dramatic drops in the middle, which is why they advise against campaigns over 30 days; the extra time is not as big a help as it may seem to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/trends ... d-duration" target="_blank

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 pm
by boblipton
I'm sure that's what Tarquin Superbus told himself until he realized he was negotiating with a pazzo Cammorra broad.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:34 pm
by drednm
I always do a 30-day campaign since I don't have as high a profile as others.....

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:34 pm
by Movies Silently
drednm wrote:I always do a 30-day campaign since I don't have as high a profile as others.....
Hey, if it ain't broke... ;-)

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 am
by boblipton
For those of you who have contributed to the campaign, and haven't paid much attention, the stretch goal of $7,000 -- booklet included with dvd, or made available for download for others -- has been attained. For the rest of you, who go around vaguely hoping that some one will do something about film preservation and making old movies available, and damn it! some one should do something! Here's your chance to damn it! do something.

Finally, to those of you who contributed but not enough for a dvd, you have my especial thanks. You're getting nothing out of it but a thank you or two for real generosity.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am
by BenModel
Movies Silently wrote:Thanks so much to everyone who backed the project and to Ben for helping to spread the word. :D
Happy to help. This is a great idea for a project -- releasing not only an obscure feature but the entire original Eclipse program!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:40 pm
by boblipton
Congratulations to Fritzi on garnering over $7700 from more than 250 contributors with more than eight days to go! Still, there's no reason we can't let her know what a bang-up idea we think this one is by doubling her asked-for $5000!

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am
by Movies Silently
Thanks so much, Bob!

We just crossed $8,000 with five days to go, which is more than I ever dreamed. Excellent international response too, which is always fun. Great to see such interest in this little film with no Valentinos or Chaplins or Keatons in the cast, it really shows that there is a demand for a wide variety of silent content.

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:51 am
by drednm
Movies Silently wrote:Thanks so much, Bob!

We just crossed $8,000 with five days to go, which is more than I ever dreamed. Excellent international response too, which is always fun. Great to see such interest in this little film with no Valentinos or Chaplins or Keatons in the cast, it really shows that there is a demand for a wide variety of silent content.
The real fun comes in packing them up and mailing them !! LOL

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm
by boblipton
It must be Raymond McKee, Fritzi. We hadn't realized what a huge star Raymond McKee is to the modern audience, probably because of the Smith Family stuff he did for Sennett or perhaps his brilliant supporting turn in With the Assistance of Shep.

With five days left to go, time is starting to run out. I know that people are saying "Yes, I will contribute. I'm just waiting until the last minute because because I won't have the money until then." They don't seem to realize that it doesn't make any difference whether they signed up three seconds after the campaign opened or three seconds before it closes. The money gets charged to their credit card at the same time no matter when, some time after the campaign closes.

There seem to be people who don't realize this, and who delay. In fact, judging by every Kickstarter campaign here, as soon as it closes, some one is going to post "Something's gone wrong. It's not supposed to close until 1 PM, and here it's only 2:47, and they're turning down my money. Can you please send me your address so I can mail you a check?"

DON'T DO IT, FRITZI! Whoever it is, they don't want to mail you a check! They want the location of your secret lair so they can steal the master tapes and cover up their dastardly plot by.... no, it's too dreadful to even speak of. Just don't.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 pm
by Hamilton's Grandson
I also personally like the fact that there is a great kickstarter for other performers that don't have the headliner namesakes that in Hollywood drew so much attention at the box office. Give character actors and others that were good entertainers in their time their do diligence.

Regards,
Dana

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm
by Movies Silently
drednm wrote:
The real fun comes in packing them up and mailing them !! LOL
I am presently awash in puffy envelopes. :lol:
boblipton wrote:It must be Raymond McKee, Fritzi. We hadn't realized what a huge star Raymond McKee is to the modern audience, probably because of the Smith Family stuff he did for Sennett or perhaps his brilliant supporting turn in With the Assistance of Shep.
I was wrong to doubt the power of McKee. :mrgreen:
Hamilton's Grandson wrote:I also personally like the fact that there is a great kickstarter for other performers that don't have the headliner namesakes that in Hollywood drew so much attention at the box office. Give character actors and others that were good entertainers in their time their do diligence.
Oh yes, definitely. And I would also add studios as late-1910s Edison features seem to be relatively ignored.

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 am
by Movies Silently
24 hours to go!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm
by Wm. Charles Morrow
Several days ago I made a mental note to pledge. But as Sam Goldwyn said, mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on. (Or something like that, which he probably didn't say anyhow.) And the time almost slipped away, but fortunately Ben put out a reminder, so . . .

-- I'm in! -- And really looking forward to seeing these films, each and every one of them. What a fun project, and thanks for much for doing it!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 am
by R Michael Pyle
Been out of the country and just now saw this. I'm in and a happy camper about it. There were only 3 hours left to pledge, so I just made it, evidently. Congratulations, Fritzi! And welcome to the board, too.

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 am
by boblipton
Half an hour to go. Ticktickticktick.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 am
by boblipton
Congratulations, Fritzi, on a successful campaign! 314 people have contributed a total of $9316 towards releasing your proposed Edison program on Blu-Ray and DVD. I look forward to getting my copy in a few weeks, hope you have enough puffy envelopes and wish to offer my particular thanks to the 7 people who contributed money with no no reward but thanks.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm
by Movies Silently
Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:And really looking forward to seeing these films, each and every one of them. What a fun project, and thanks for much for doing it!
Thank you so much! Ben saves the day! I LOVE what I've seen so far and I hope you will too.
R Michael Pyle wrote:Been out of the country and just now saw this.
Lovely to have you!
boblipton wrote:Congratulations, Fritzi, on a successful campaign! 314 people have contributed a total of $9316 towards releasing your proposed Edison program on Blu-Ray and DVD. I look forward to getting my copy in a few weeks, hope you have enough puffy envelopes and wish to offer my particular thanks to the 7 people who contributed money with no no reward but thanks.
Thank you! No Bluray, I'm afraid. The films are all on 16mm and there will be very little additional image quality in Bluray. However, I am putting additional funds to good use sprucing up the packaging and I have a few tricks up my sleeve for backers. :D

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm
by boblipton
My copy just turned up in my mailbox. Thank you, Fritzi and thanks to all the other contributors. I will post my reviews of the films over the next couple of days. I look forward to seeing them and to your next project.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 am
by drednm
boblipton wrote:My copy just turned up in my mailbox. Thank you, Fritzi and thanks to all the other contributors. I will post my reviews of the films over the next couple of days. I look forward to seeing them and to your next project.

Bob
I got NOTHIN'

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 am
by boblipton
drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:My copy just turned up in my mailbox. Thank you, Fritzi and thanks to all the other contributors. I will post my reviews of the films over the next couple of days. I look forward to seeing them and to your next project.

Bob
I got NOTHIN'
It must be karma, Ed.

Bob

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 am
by drednm
boblipton wrote:
drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:My copy just turned up in my mailbox. Thank you, Fritzi and thanks to all the other contributors. I will post my reviews of the films over the next couple of days. I look forward to seeing them and to your next project.

Bob
I got NOTHIN'
It must be karma, Ed.

Bob
Yup, whoever she is.....

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:12 pm
by Kerr Lockhart
Got my copy here in NJ today. May be a while before I have time to watch. Congratulations!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm
by Jim Harwood
I watched the entire disc last night and it looked great. The shorts and the feature were all very entertaining. Wonderful work by Ben Model too.

A winner!

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:31 pm
by Movies Silently
Thanks, everyone! So glad you are enjoying! Ben and my editor, Chris Bird, worked really hard and did a wonderful job.

I started mailing out the DVDs last Saturday and am about 2/3 of the way through the stack. I should have them all out by the end of the week.

I have had a lot of questions about purchasing a copy and I am absolutely going to make the film available for general sale. I am working on a CreateSpace version (which is how Ben sells most of his Undercrank DVDs) that I hope to have ready for a launch date of mid-July or early August.