GoFundMe: The Phantom of the Opera (1925) Rare Stills

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
Scott J

GoFundMe: The Phantom of the Opera (1925) Rare Stills

Unread post by Scott J » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Update: Added new reward levels and image resolutions

https://www.gofundme.com/phantom-of-the ... 925-stills

As some of you know, I have been researching the longer cut of Phantom in order to create a new restoration based on the best elements I can find. This GoFundMe is somewhat related to that, but is separate from the restoration work, distribution, and all other costs. A fundraiser for that will come later. However, I plan on making these stills available as extras on that future video release.

What has happened is, during my search for materials, I came across a collector who has an amazing collection full of rarities- and it turns out this collector is the one source for the rare images shown in the 2003 Milestone DVD and Philip J. Riley's book. I have gotten confirmation from a trusted source involved with the 2003 DVD that this collector is legit.

Now this collector has been slowly selling his Phantom collection over the years to various collectors. We have struck up a good correspondence and he has offered me a bulk discount for all of his non-Chaney stills. Some may balk at the price he has asked and I totally understand. The way I have to look at it is this stuff is extremely rare and many of these are likely one of a kind. But if someone knows of another, cheaper collection of these stills then I am all ears. But he has given me roughly at $50 discount per still compared the original quote, so take that into consideration.

Anyway, check out the link - lots of sample images listed

Scott J

Re: GoFundMe: The Phantom of the Opera (1925) Rare Stills

Unread post by Scott J » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Does anyone know which film format these stills were taken with? Below is a 1:1 crop of a 1200dpi scan of this image - you may have to open the cropped image in another window or download it to see the full size. Being that these stills were made directly off the camera negative, the detail is beautiful. From the looks of it, a 1200dpi scan cannot resolve all the detail here.