The Beauty and The Beasty (1946) --and the beast blocking...

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
All Darc

The Beauty and The Beasty (1946) --and the beast blocking...

Unread post by All Darc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:20 pm

BFI released a new edityion (New-new restoration ??? ) of Cocteau's The Beauty and the Beast (1946) :

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... lu-ray.htm

But the transfer, despite of sharper and have depth than Criterion looks a little too dark in shadows and also have large blockings.

The trailler in BFI got worse, having really very heavy shadow crushing:

While The Criterion Collection trailler for the new restoration (or just new re-release) looked fine (for a web video) :

The Criterion video have 2 years old, and they said at the time it was coming... So, is it right2 years to come???

The film had been restored for DVD by Criterion about 18 years ago. And have been restored digitrally in 4K from a scan from the original camera negative or a preservation/restored master made from camera negative.
Is this a new 4K restoration, or maybe a extra digital fix work to the prior 4K restoration ?
Last edited by silentfilm on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube video
Keep thinking...

Histogram

Re: The Beauty and The Beasty (1946) --and the beast blocking...

Unread post by Histogram » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 pm

I watched the 2011 Criterion Blu-Ray, catalog #CC2016BD. Quality was excellent. Will the 2018 Criterion Blu-Ray be even more excellent than the 2011 one? Who knows. However, I would watch it anyway because I watch all the extras (documentaries, commentaries, photo galleries, etc.), and the new version has a new set of extras.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Criterion next Blu Ray of Beauty and |the Beast will be better, with fine encoding I bet.

Annoying how BD it's prone to ugly blocking in shadows, and if it had no rich bitrate and very careful encoding, it always turn into large blocks, killing shadow tonalities. Even in scenes where the image have little changes, where almost nothing is moving, the blocking appears in shadows ofr a lot of editions.
DVD wasn't that bad, in general, with shadow tones.

Probably the creators of BD encoding algoritims noticed that many people watched in crap LCD TVs with crushed blacks. I can imagine a close future, people watching 4k for old films, but with shadow tones and gradients worse than a S-VHS.
I wouldn't get suprise if they start 8K broadcast somewhere, and the image can't deliver a single decent gradient and shadows tonalities.
Keep thinking...

fwtep

Unread post by fwtep » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 am

DVD was AWFUL. Blu-ray is always better, though not always perfect.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm

All Darc wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 pm
Annoying how BD it's prone to ugly blocking in shadows
To state what you already know, this does depend on TV/monitor settings. If your black levels are set to be low, blocking is less noticeable. If your brightness is set high (raising all levels from black to white), then blocking is more perceivable.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Please, the blocks are there, and the image it's already dark, and the blocks was reported by the reviewer.

If blu ray discs have such problems, what to tell about TV broadcasting and streaming ? Anyway I no longer watch TV for this, and TVs itself it's not good enough but pretty ugly.

And digital age killed gradients, replacing it with banding... all broadcasting killed gradients. A genocide by the digital age.

But I created this topic to find out if it's a new restoration from camera negative, like a new tranfer or just a new digital clean-up from the same 4K transfer, or not.
Histogram wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm
To state what you already know, this does depend on TV/monitor settings. If your black levels are set to be low, blocking is less noticeable. If your brightness is set high (raising all levels from black to white), then blocking is more perceivable.
Keep thinking...

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm

All Darc wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm
Please, the blocks are there, and the image it's already dark, and the blocks was reported by the reviewer.
Okay, but I watched the 2011 version three times (since there were two commentary tracks) and did not find shadows blocky. I was not distracted, unobservant, etc. Note that some of the scenes are meant to be quite dark. The Beast's dining room has a murky background as part of the design. The photo gallery shows the set with areas blacked out to create a mysterious atmosphere where the space is indefinite.
All Darc wrote:
If blu ray discs have such problems, what to tell about TV broadcasting and streaming ?
I am not convinced that these problems have been established.
All Darc wrote:
And digital age killed gradients, replacing it with banding... all broadcasting killed gradients. A genocide by the digital age.
"Beauty and the Beast" has some foggy, smoky, and generally atmospheric scenes. This means lots of smooth, mid-level gradients. They looked appropriately smooth. I did not see banding. Gradients were alive and well. On the other hand, edges and strong, high-contrast textures also looked crisp. Thus no genocide here; "Beauty and the Beast" is going forth and multiplying, living happily in modern times.