How many movie people have died due to auto accidents?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
CoffeeDan

Re: How many movie people have died due to auto accidents?

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:59 pm

LostEmulsion wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Did anybody mention James Dean?
Yes. See first post.

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am

Here are two that I don't think were mentioned above:
Florence La Badie, leading lady in early features, died in 1917, aged 29, after an auto wreck. She sustained multiple fractures of the pelvis and died after a short hospitalization. She was perhaps the first recognized female star of the movies to die. (Hollywood had lost John Bunny two years previously; La Badie's youth and gender made her death more shocking to movie fans.)
Monroe Owsley, number one slimeball of the PreCodes, died of cardiac arrest a day after an auto accident (and his death was attributed to the after-effects of the crash.) I believe this was in '36.
Someone mentioned Junior Durkin previously -- the car he was in actually tumbled down a mountain, like the old stock footage of cars going down slopes in 10,000 movies. A truly horrible accident. I forget what book gives an account of the death scene, but if you find a detailed account you won't soon forget it.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am

I mentioned La Badie and Durkin already (i think someone got Owsley too, though without the details). I'm thinking that the details of the Durkin/Coogan accident must have come from Diana Serra Cary's book on Jackie Coogan, i can't imagine where else i might have read it. Apparently Jackie was the only survivor, i think the car was filled with birds they had shot and he dived into them and was cushioned from the shock.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 am

Yeah, ya got me. As I get older, my "TLDR" threshold gets ever shorter. If there is more than a pageful of posts, I tend to skim read super fast.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 am

Dave Pitts wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 am
Yeah, ya got me. As I get older, my "TLDR" threshold gets ever shorter. If there is more than a pageful of posts, I tend to skim read super fast.
And unfortunately this is a long thread! And i'm sure there are names we haven't come up with yet.

greta
Greta de Groat

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

Dave Pitts wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am
Florence La Badie, leading lady in early features, died in 1917, aged 29, after an auto wreck. She sustained multiple fractures of the pelvis and died after a short hospitalization.
I'm halfway through watching the HBO series The Knick from Steven Soderbergh, set in a 1900-era NYC hospital, and in one of the first episodes a man dies as a result of a fractured pelvis. Thinking about the deaths of so many silent stars, under only slightly improved conditions from what we see on The Knick, makes me appreciate how far we've come.

I guess if this thread is getting too long, we could always start a "How many movie people have died due to ostrich accidents" thread that wouldn't get very far.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

rangebuster

Unread post by rangebuster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Kirby Grant, B western star, Mountie hero with Chinook the dog and TV's Sky King, was forced off the road into a ditch full of water. Rugged B western heavy John Cason went on a coon hunting trip after a heavy drinking session and was killed instantly when his car went off the road; two youngsters Steve Drake and Marty Joyce who were just starting out in minor westerns.

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am

I would suggest a thread called How many movie people have died in on-set accidents? but it's probably been done. There are some pretty horrifying stories, including quite a few from the silent days.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

Dave Pitts wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am
I would suggest a thread called How many movie people have died in on-set accidents? but it's probably been done. There are some pretty horrifying stories, including quite a few from the silent days.
Heck, how many of them involved airplane incidents alone?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jay Salsberg

Unread post by Jay Salsberg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 am

I suppose you could add Anton Yelchin to this list. He wasn't in the car, but was killed when it rolled down his driveway, pinning him against a fence.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:00 pm

According to a book on film deaths (it's in my shop and should have logged the title), Pauline 'Baby Mary Sunshine' Flood was run over by a truck at the age of one, in 1917. As far as I know, this is the youngest movie star death to date.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:12 pm

That sounds like the youngest, but it reminded me of one we haven't listed so far: B. Reeves Eason Jr., AKA Breezy Eason Jr, son of the director of the same name. He was in films for Universal, and was killed by truck at the age of 6. According to Wikipedia was one of the first actors interred at Hollywood Forever.

greta
Greta de Groat

The Blackbird

Unread post by The Blackbird » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Theo Marcuse, who appeared in everything from OPERATION EICHMANN to HARUM SCARUM, and was particularly busy playing scores of sinister villains on THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., STAR TREK, THE INVADERS, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, HOGAN'S HEROES, THE WILD, WILD WEST, BATMAN, GET SMART and THE TIME TUNNEL in the last couple of years of his life, died in a wreck in Hollywood on November 29, 1967.