Carlos Gardel... the permanent homage

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
radiotelefonia

Carlos Gardel... the permanent homage

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:42 am

This is my post for this day in which we celebrate another anniversary of the tragic death of Carlos Gardel.

Since Roberto Di Chiara died, I have not been feeling well and I have been trying to do something an homage of the kind he would have loved. Eventually, I will be fine again.

So I took one video of the Carlos Gardel shorts that he made in 1930. In it he performs "Añoranzas", a waltz written by José María Aguilar, who can be seen playing his guitar at the right of the singer. The other players are Angel Riverol (left) and Guillermo Barbieri (center):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jVnSgRAj2A

This short was originally filmed by producer Federico Valle as a part of a series that was included in his weekly newsreels which the public began to see around April 1931. About the production of these series, it has been said that they were shot in a sort of Movietone system and they were the very first sound pictures made in Argentina... although they were not.

I even read somewhere that they used a De Forest Phonofilm camera. If that the case, then they used a camera that was used for sound films since 1928. But the authentic information is probably based in the surviving facts. Héctor Lorenzo Lucci preserves original Sidetone (Vitaphone) discs that were simultaneously recorded off camera range... Federico Valle eventually matched the images with the sound.

However, the available version, is actually from 1951 when some guy cut 10 shorts (they were originally 15, and later an 11 one reemerged) out the original newsreels in order to produce an ugly looking compilation. Francisco Canaro, who was partially involved with the original production, complained about this situation in his autobiography and about the compilation itself.

What I did here, was to extract the sound and restored it. And for the very first time in almost seventy years the original opening is presented in its authentic unaltered form. I didn't want to resynchronize the film because the video is ugly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6na9E-7Whxo

Enjoy it; many of the people who would have loved to hear this audio restoration are no longer among us.

Frederica

Re: Carlos Gardel... the permanent homage

Unread post by Frederica » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 am

radiotelefonia wrote:This is my post for this day in which we celebrate another anniversary of the tragic death of Carlos Gardel.
So I took one video of the Carlos Gardel shorts that he made in 1930. In it he performs "Añoranzas", a waltz written by José María Aguilar, who can be seen playing his guitar at the right of the singer. The other players are Angel Riverol (left) and Guillermo Barbieri (center):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jVnSgRAj2A

Enjoy it; many of the people who would have loved to hear this audio restoration are no longer among us.
Thank you very much for posting that link.

Fred