Letty Lynton (32)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Ruby Schwartz

Re: Letty Lynton (32)

Unread post by Ruby Schwartz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm

I'll 'Trade,' VHS or DVD, of MY Copy of, "Letty L," 4 'any' Title I'm seeking. If interested, PM Me.
Ruby Schwartz
San Francisco

Jay Salsberg

Unread post by Jay Salsberg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 am

Just to muddy the waters a bit...

The play DISHONORED LADY was copyrighted in 1930 by Margaret Ayer Barnes and Edward Sheldon. Sheldon died in 1946. The copyright was renewed in 1957 by Barnes and Theodore Sheldon (brother/cousin?). Barnes died in 1967. Under current law, the copyright should expire 70 years after her death (2037).
I don't know how Theodore Sheldon figures into the case. Because he only renewed the copyright, as opposed to being the original registrant, will the copyright also expire 70 years after his death as well? I don't know. If no date of death can be established for him, current law stipulates that the copyright term will last for 120 years from the date of creation (2050). In any case, we're looking at 22-35 more years before the play will fall into the public domain and, hopefully, the film can be legally released.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:32 am

Jay Salsberg wrote:Just to muddy the waters a bit...

The play DISHONORED LADY was copyrighted in 1930 by Margaret Ayer Barnes and Edward Sheldon. Sheldon died in 1946. The copyright was renewed in 1957 by Barnes and Theodore Sheldon (brother/cousin?). Barnes died in 1967. Under current law, the copyright should expire 70 years after her death (2037).
I don't know how Theodore Sheldon figures into the case. Because he only renewed the copyright, as opposed to being the original registrant, will the copyright also expire 70 years after his death as well? I don't know. If no date of death can be established for him, current law stipulates that the copyright term will last for 120 years from the date of creation (2050). In any case, we're looking at 22-35 more years before the play will fall into the public domain and, hopefully, the film can be legally released.
I'll mark my calendar....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Michael O'Regan

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm not sure my personal calendar goes that far ahead!
:D

brendangcarroll

Re: Letty Lynton (32) and other films tied up by copyright i

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 am

The other major loss thanks to litigation is ESCAPADE (1935), Luise Rainer's US debut feature.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I also have Letty Lynton on (a cruddy) Grey Market DVD-R and I have to say its an extremely powerful film, and yes I would have to agree with everyone else [on here] that it's probably one of Crawford's greatest acting jobs. The scene where she poisons Nils Asther really hit me from left field because upon my first viewing I had not stumbled upon this thread, and therefore knew absolutely zilch about the film, or the story, or anything. So it really hit me hard!

What I'd like to know is -- where on earth did these "grey Market" guys get their copy from of this title? Was it erroneously shown on TV one year or something, and they recorded it? Because otherwise where would they get it from?

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:55 am

David Alp wrote:I also have Letty Lynton on (a cruddy) Grey Market DVD-R and I have to say its an extremely powerful film, and yes I would have to agree with everyone else [on here] that it's probably one of Crawford's greatest acting jobs. The scene where she poisons Nils Asther really hit me from left field because upon my first viewing I had not stumbled upon this thread, and therefore knew absolutely zilch about the film, or the story, or anything. So it really hit me hard!

What I'd like to know is -- where on earth did these "grey Market" guys get their copy from of this title? Was it erroneously shown on TV one year or something, and they recorded it? Because otherwise where would they get it from?
I also re-watched this a couple weeks ago and agree that Joan Crawford is amazing in this film ... one of her best performances. And Nils Asther was surprisingly good as the stalker. The credits list the Marie Belloc Lowndes novel as the movie's source and not the play by Sheldon and Barnes, but the Lowndes novel is based on the Madeleine Smith murder trial which was filmed by David Lean in 1950 as Madeleine, starring Ann Todd. The Shelton and Barnes play was adapted for the Hedy Lamarr film Dishonored Lady in 1947. Names, places, locations, and years were all jumbled among these three films and posion featured only in the Crawford and Todd films. Apparently, only the Crawford film was a hit at the box office. Lean always considered his version his worst film. The Lamarr version was a big flop.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Thu May 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Dave Pitts wrote:BTW, is Christopher Bean also lost in old litigation? I've never read a clear description of the circumstances, and I'm really impatient to see it -- Dressler's last, of course, and supposedly a great Dressler performance. (I love Marie, as do most buffs -- we should have every foot of film she's in, just like we have all of W. C. Fields.)
I own Letty Lynton -- various 'gray market' dealers have released it, and the dealers at Columbus Cinevent (in May) often have it. Since Nils' death scene was discussed above, I'll add that the kick I get out of that sequence is Crawford's little strangled yelp -- the same one she delivers in Grand Hotel when she sees Barrymore with his head bashed in.

I believe CHRISTOPHER BEAN is one of those titles no longer owned by the studio that made it and one of those cases where a famous playwright (Sidney Howard, in this case) had a contract that gave full film rights back to him after X number of years as well as the rights and ownership to the original film that was produced. Same story I believe with the Carole Lombard film THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED, also from a Howard play.

MDJimenez

Unread post by MDJimenez » Fri May 25, 2018 3:50 pm

We can probably add Sidney Franklin's REUNION IN VIENNA (1933) to the list of unavailable MGM films from the Precode era. William K. Everson could only show excerpts of the film at one time but it was shown in its entirety in MoMA as part of a retrospective about Vienna in the movies.

ajabrams

Unread post by ajabrams » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am

You can also add the 1931 Marion Davies film,"it's A Wise Child" to this list.

Peg of the PreCodes

Unread post by Peg of the PreCodes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 am

Also HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT (1929). MGM sold Paramount the rights to the underlying Ferenc Molnár play to make A BREATH OF SCANDAL (1960), and apparently the Library of Congress archives only known surviving print.

*Fantasizes about RAID ON CULPEPER...a ragtag team of film obsessives plots to break into the LOC's Packard Center to "liberate" movies tied up in donor restrictions and rights hell....*

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:02 am

I saw His Glorious Night when it was shown at the NFT London on 20 January 1986,introduced by his daughter Leatrice.My notes indicate that I thought his voice was poor.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 am

wingate wrote:I saw His Glorious Night when it was shown at the NFT London on 20 January 1986,introduced by his daughter Leatrice.My notes indicate that I thought his voice was poor.
The LOC notes on His Glorious Night state "This film has been restored and preserved for historical purposes." which makes it sound like it will never be available. Other notes from one of the librarians says the video quality is just about mint.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am

wingate wrote:I saw His Glorious Night when it was shown at the NFT London on 20 January 1986,introduced by his daughter Leatrice.My notes indicate that I thought his voice was poor.
His voice isn't bad in his later films, but it tends to have a touch of self consciousness in it.
Eric Stott

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 am

FrankFay wrote:
His voice isn't bad in his later films, but it tends to have a touch of self consciousness in it.
I'm still amazed that TCM has never shown this film, especially while Osborne was still with us.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Peg of the PreCodes

Unread post by Peg of the PreCodes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 am

I like Gilbert so much as a character actor in THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA and DOWNSTAIRS I have trouble believing his romantic lead roles in the silent era. And I've heard the disparaging comments about HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT, but I'd still like to see and hear it myself. It's encouraging to hear that the LOC print has been made available for screenings; perhaps one day TCM might make any necessary arrangements with Paramount?

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:00 pm

I think we would all like to see it again,since most of his other talkies have been shown on TCM.When you see the subsequent films you wonder what the fuss was about.