2 Stooges - speaking of Slapsticon

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Harlett O'Dowd

2 Stooges - speaking of Slapsticon

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am

the Slapsticon tease about the 3 Stooges commercials got me to remembering watching the Stooges as a kid in the early 70s. Specifically, I remember interview clips with Moe & Larry (separately, IIRC) that were used occassionally as filler between the (longer?) shorts.

Does anyone here remember them? Do these interviews exist in a more complete form and does anyone have them?

Of course I'd rather have *all* of Brownlow's raw footage and tape interviews from The Parade's Gone By/Hollywood but this footage would not be too far behind on my interview wish list.

Lokke Heiss

Re: 2 Stooges - speaking of Slapsticon

Unread post by Lokke Heiss » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Does anyone here remember them? Do these interviews exist in a more complete form and does anyone have them?

What I remember is that Moe and other Stooges did sort of moderator, linkage functions between showing older shorts, and sometimes they did comedy bits. It wasn't really interviews, and I don't remember it being very good, but even as a kid, it was nice to see them alive and poking. Sort of like saying hello to some funny, weird uncles.

But they did a lot of TV in the sixties -- there must be a ton of material floating around of them in various bits.

Harlett O'Dowd

Re: 2 Stooges - speaking of Slapsticon

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:07 am

Lokke Heiss wrote:Does anyone here remember them? Do these interviews exist in a more complete form and does anyone have them?

What I remember is that Moe and other Stooges did sort of moderator, linkage functions between showing older shorts, and sometimes they did comedy bits. It wasn't really interviews, and I don't remember it being very good, but even as a kid, it was nice to see them alive and poking. Sort of like saying hello to some funny, weird uncles.

But they did a lot of TV in the sixties -- there must be a ton of material floating around of them in various bits.
no, what I remember was different. This was footage of Moe and Larry (separate?) sitting outside talking about the old days. I'm assuming this was shot in the early 70s, not long before each died.

Not so much routines as story theatre with your weird old uncles.

I wonder if this was special for the Philly market (Larry's home town)

Rob Farr

Unread post by Rob Farr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 am

I don't remember those, but I remember both Moe and Larry frequently making guest appearances on Sally Starr's show (WFIL, Philly) in the 1960s. They always started off the same with both men appearing with their hair slicked back and then pulling out a comb and quickly transforming into the Stooges.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

staticflashes

Unread post by staticflashes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 pm

I also remember Moe making quite a few appearances on the Mike Douglas show around the same time.

Buckey
Buckey Grimm

MGH

Unread post by MGH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:25 am

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for the links. I think the Moe footage is what I remember as a kid - just the inverview itself, not the surrounding story.

MGH

Unread post by MGH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 am

Tape interviews from 'The Parade's Gone By'

MGH

Unread post by MGH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:55 am

Correction:

The second part of the Larry interview is here. It is not youtube.com/watch?v=uIcCcPKmuaE