THE CROWD ROARS (1932)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
earlytalkiebuffRob

THE CROWD ROARS (1932)

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:37 pm

in 1976, I saw Howard Hawks's THE CROWD ROARS (1932) at London's National Film Theatre. Although I enjoyed it very much, I noticed a gap in continuity near the end which was also noted by Donald Willis in his book on Hawks in reference to a telecast. It was on TNT in 199-something but I didn't get to watch it and my recording got damaged. Does it exist in its entirity anywhere? The missing reel was near the end. And I have recently discovered that there was a French version - is this extant?

momsne

Re: THE CROWD ROARS (1932)

Unread post by momsne » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:00 pm

The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens, had the complete movie screened last year, if the information from their site is accurate. Free admission too, but first come, first served.
---
The Crowd Roars
Part of The Complete Howard Hawks
Sunday, September 29, 2013, 2:00 p.m.

Dir. Howard Hawks. 1932, 85 mins. 35mm print from The Library of Congress. With James Cagney, Joan Blondell. This electrifying car racing melodrama, described by Hawks as the first film he made purely for fun, follows the lives of two brothers. Joe Greer (a riveting James Cagney) is a racing champion who finds himself headed downhill, while, much to Joe’s dismay, his headstrong kid brother (Eric Linden) rises to the height of fame.

filmnotdigital

Unread post by filmnotdigital » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:45 am

I communicated with several people who went to the American Museum Of The Moving Image showing and it was the same old cut version, which is apparently all LOC owns. The story is that when it was remade as Indianapolis Speedway, the studio spliced out extensive footage from the first film, and then when they reedited the original back together left much of that out but mistakenly spliced in some brief footage from the remake! It's a mess. For further details see the IMDB posting by the knowledgeable Jack Tillmany.
I have been tracking down foreign language versions of Hollywood movies for some time and know of no one that has seen let alone gotten a copy of the Hawks-directed French version.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 am

Thanks for the information re THE CROWD ROARS (1932). Not having seen INDIANAPOLIS SPEEDWAY it would be interesting to see how much of the missing footage is in the remake. Certainly in the case of THE DAWN PATROL, the old footage is quite clearly distinguishable, particularly if one knows both versions. And I don't think Hawks made the French version as am sure that was made in France and he was a very busy bunny that year...

By the way, I'd be interested to know about the Foreign-language versions as whether or not they are extant and in what shape...

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

filmnotdigital wrote:I communicated with several people who went to the American Museum Of The Moving Image showing and it was the same old cut version, which is apparently all LOC owns. The story is that when it was remade as Indianapolis Speedway, the studio spliced out extensive footage from the first film, and then when they reedited the original back together left much of that out but mistakenly spliced in some brief footage from the remake! It's a mess. For further details see the IMDB posting by the knowledgeable Jack Tillmany.
I have been tracking down foreign language versions of Hollywood movies for some time and know of no one that has seen let alone gotten a copy of the Hawks-directed French version.
Only problem with that would be that the dramatic part of the footage would surely not be of any use in the remake. Is there any way of telling what bits of INDIANAPOLIS SPEEDWAY are from THE CROWD ROARS, and where they'd fit back into the film? As it seems to be rarely shown...