What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
User avatar
Mike Gebert
Site Admin
Posts: 6083
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:34 pm

By the way, I have opened a 2016 version of this thread for use beginning January 1. I'll leave this one open for a couple of days for additional comments, but as of tomorrow, please post new entries here.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

User avatar
entredeuxguerres
Posts: 4726
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Empire State

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by entredeuxguerres » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Scott Eckhardt wrote:Yes, with it's parallel stories, this does seem to be an attempt to create a similar atmosphere to GH. Did you notice the costumes worn in the musical sequence were the same ones worn in the "Happy Feet" number in KING OF JAZZ?
I did not! Haven't seen KOJ in many moons, so will have to refresh my memory of that number.

But the "Monkey-Doodle-Doo" costumes worn by the chorus in The Cocoanuts (1929), which I watched yet again this morning on TCM, were re-used in another early musical, I'm virtually certain, but I'm at a loss for the title.

Online
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7525
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by drednm » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Yes, Madam? (1939) may have been the last starring film for Bobby Howes. It's the usual silly plot, this one of cousins who have never met but who end up acting as butler and maid for a month in the same house in order to get an inheritance. They are hilariously unsuited for their jobs, the the brother/sister employers are eccentrics. There's also a 3rd cousin who wins it all if they get fired. Diana Churchill and Billy Milton are Howes' cousins. The brother/sister are well played by Wylie Watson and Bertha Belmore. Best of all is Vera Pearce as the plump music hall star who invades the household and who has been known to do a cartwheel! Infectious fun topped off by the Howes/Watson "cat duet."
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Scott Eckhardt
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 am

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:31 pm

entredeuxguerres wrote:
Scott Eckhardt wrote:Yes, with it's parallel stories, this does seem to be an attempt to create a similar atmosphere to GH. Did you notice the costumes worn in the musical sequence were the same ones worn in the "Happy Feet" number in KING OF JAZZ?
I did not! Haven't seen KOJ in many moons, so will have to refresh my memory of that number.

But the "Monkey-Doodle-Doo" costumes worn by the chorus in The Cocoanuts (1929), which I watched yet again this morning on TCM, were re-used in another early musical, I'm virtually certain, but I'm at a loss for the title.
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall similar costumes to the "Monkey Doodle-Doo" in "It's The Animal In Me" with Ethel Merman and some trained elephants. That number, filmed for WE'RE NOT DRESSING in 1934 wound up being dropped for that film, but used later in THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1936.

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:24 pm

busby1959 wrote:
entredeuxguerres wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:...The film's casting of Morgan as the husband of Harding and adulterous lover of Loy may seem strange after watching him as the Wizard of Oz or the bumbler he plays in so many other films, but he's superb in this very serious straight role in a very sophisticated comedy...
He WAS superb in that role, and in a few other similar parts, though the only one I can think of at the moment was in Hallelujah I'm a Bum (1933); I prefer this persona to the bumbling fool, though of course the latter was the great democratic crowd-pleaser.

And Alice Brady was most certainly entertaining her very own boy-toy! Why not? She was a very attractive lady when she dropped her ditzy routine for a moment. Wish she'd done so more often, but only time I know of when she dropped it entirely was in Metropolitan (1935).
She also played against type in IN OLD CHICAGO and got an Oscar for her performance.
Not to forget her Abigail Clay in YOUNG MR LINCOLN.

Online
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7525
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by drednm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
entredeuxguerres wrote:
Scott Eckhardt wrote:Yes, with it's parallel stories, this does seem to be an attempt to create a similar atmosphere to GH. Did you notice the costumes worn in the musical sequence were the same ones worn in the "Happy Feet" number in KING OF JAZZ?
I did not! Haven't seen KOJ in many moons, so will have to refresh my memory of that number.

But the "Monkey-Doodle-Doo" costumes worn by the chorus in The Cocoanuts (1929), which I watched yet again this morning on TCM, were re-used in another early musical, I'm virtually certain, but I'm at a loss for the title.
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall similar costumes to the "Monkey Doodle-Doo" in "It's The Animal In Me" with Ethel Merman and some trained elephants. That number, filmed for WE'RE NOT DRESSING in 1934 wound up being dropped for that film, but used later in THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1936.
FREE AND EASY (1930)
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
greta de groat
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by greta de groat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:44 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
busby1959 wrote:
entredeuxguerres wrote:

And Alice Brady was most certainly entertaining her very own boy-toy! Why not? She was a very attractive lady when she dropped her ditzy routine for a moment. Wish she'd done so more often, but only time I know of when she dropped it entirely was in Metropolitan (1935).
She also played against type in IN OLD CHICAGO and got an Oscar for her performance.
Not to forget her Abigail Clay in YOUNG MR LINCOLN.
What i have a hard time wrapping my head around is Brady and Nazimova in the original stage production of Mourning Becomes Electra. That would have been fascinating.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:26 pm

[Posted a review in the wrong thread here -- excised and reposted in What Was the Last film You Watched (2016.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Online
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7525
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2015)

Unread post by drednm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Donald Binks wrote:"Sparrows Can't Sing" (1963) although ostensibly a comedy-drama, is more a documentary, for it accurately depicts life as it once was in London's East End. The story line is simple. A merchant seaman (James Booth) returns home after two years at sea to find his wife (Barbara Windsor) shacked up with a bus driver (George Sewell). At about the time this film was made, whole streets in the East End that had managed to survive the blitz, were being bull-dozed to be replaced by high-rise blocks of flats. Close-knit communities such as the one depicted in this picture disappeared virtually overnight.

The characters are poor, but not down-trodden. Lives are relatively uncomplicated. Everyone knew everyone else and if there were any problems, they were easily relieved by a few hours "darn the boozer". The language is colourful and captured beautifully by ("On the Buses") Stephen Lewis who wrote the screenplay based on a stage play he had also written. Lewis also plays his trademark nark in the film.

The delight in this film is spotting the many familiar faces one has encountered either in British films or TV series over the years. "George and Mildred" are both there as well as Bob Grant, also from "On the Buses". It's a fine cast and everyone appears to be exactly what they are - so you can get the drift that the acting is superb in order to make it all seem so believable. Of special mention must be Roy Kinnear who was one of my favourites from this period. He just had that knack of being funny no matter what he did, he made it look so easy but isn't that the mark of a truly great?

Other things to watch out for is the main title song written by Lionel Bart and sung by Barbara Windsor (I never knew she could sing - so one learns something new every day) and another blues type number sung by Queenie Watts later in the picture.

This little gem was directed by Joan Littlewood, who also assisted with the screenplay. I had to laugh that it was the first English language film to be sub-titled for its release in the U.S!
I caught this tonight. What an odd little film. A lightning-paced slice of life of the East End. James Booth as the wandering sailor might be a tad over the top, but Barbara Windsor was fun. She sang in Ken Russell's The Boy Friend. I would never have recognized Barbara Ferris as Windsor's sister. I did recognize Roy Kinnear, Murray Melvin, Brian Palmer, Avis Bunnage, Yootha Joyce, Queenie Watts, Edie Martin, Rita Webb, etc. Fascinating to see the "urban renewal" in London on such an extensive scale.

I can see why they'd need subtitles!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Post Reply