Could new scanning quality help Fox technicolor ?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
All Darc

Could new scanning quality help Fox technicolor ?

Unread post by All Darc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Fox's Technicolor CRI master are basically what survived for their technicolor films, since they destroyed the nitrate câmera negative separations.

They have CRI master, famous for poor quality for shadows.

I found this today, about new levels of quality for scanning prints and get more shadow details:

http://www.lasergraphics.com/high-dynamic-range.html" target="_blank

Who knows if this new scanning could help to get a bit more details from CRI máster...
Keep thinking...

learry33

Re: Could new scanning quality help Fox technicolor ?

Unread post by learry33 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:46 am

Hello,

Is that the reason why some Fox Technicolor BDs do not look as good as those ... Not only were the CRI's not very good quality, but they have since faded. .... Every black & white fine grain master was junked of Fox's holdings.

All Darc

Re: Could new scanning quality help Fox technicolor ?

Unread post by All Darc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes, I was aware about FOX's "technicolor holocaust". To junk fine grain master it's a incredible stupid thing, from old Fox's policy, since today they care about preservation.

While some CRI was well made, other CRI hadn't luck and was even bad exposed and bad developed and also had fadding in bad archiveing, this plus the poor own nature of CRI for shaddow details rendering.
That's why Foreber Amber (1947) looks terrible even after a 4K digital film restoration.

Appears that there was a technicolor technicolor dye transfer print that survived for this film, and I imagine if the shadow details from the dye tranfer print could be transplanted to the CRI print, since CRI it's finer grain and sharper, a but a film restorer told me it was not possible.
learry33 wrote:Hello,

Is that the reason why some Fox Technicolor BDs do not look as good as those ... Not only were the CRI's not very good quality, but they have since faded. .... Every black & white fine grain master was junked of Fox's holdings.
Keep thinking...