Recycled Music

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
User avatar
Mike Gebert
Site Admin
Posts: 6082
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:53 pm

They're not exactly the same, but it's impossible not to think that the Salkinds said, "Write Superman one of those!"
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

User avatar
FrankFay
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by FrankFay » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 pm

djwein wrote:I'm very familiar with Malcolm's Arnold's classic Oscar-winning score for THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. I noticed recently that quite a few of its themes are recycled in DUNKIRK and THE CHALK GARDEN, especially those cues that portend trouble.

It could be a bit like a technique used today (and complained about): a composer will be shown another film, generally a hit, and be told "Make it sound like this, but just different enough that we get sued". The practice of using other film scores on rough cuts almost ensures this.
Eric Stott

User avatar
Jack Theakston
Posts: 1851
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Jack Theakston » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:46 pm

BixB wrote:The end music for FRANKENSTEIN was reused for the opening credits of COUNSELOR AT LAW. Then of course there's the whole Swan Lake thing.
Which was, in itself, a silent film cue that went back to the 'teens ("Grand Appassionato" by G. Becce.)
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

User avatar
George O'Brien
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: An Atoll in the Pacific

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by George O'Brien » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Catching on TCM an unheralded, but good, British film entitled "The Walking Stick"(1970), I couldn't help but think that I had heard some of the music before. In a "Eureka!" moment, it came to me - "The Deer Hunter"! Two more dissimilar films I can't imagine, but the melancholy, reflective, acoustic guitar driven theme worked well in both films
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

16mm4FR
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by 16mm4FR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:18 am

Life's too short, but the classic Warner Bros. cartoon have thousands...MILLIONS...of them.

User avatar
Harlett O'Dowd
Posts: 2103
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:53 am

and then there's the re-use of studio-owned songs as background music in subsequent films. One of the earliest is "I'm The Queen" from MGM's HOLLYWOOD REVUE being recycled in Buster's FREE AND EASY.

And the WB cartoons quoted their catalog ("The Lady in Red," "They're Either Too Young or Too Old") shamelessly.

User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6144
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:and then there's the re-use of studio-owned songs as background music in subsequent films. One of the earliest is "I'm The Queen" from MGM's HOLLYWOOD REVUE being recycled in Buster's FREE AND EASY.

And the WB cartoons quoted their catalog ("The Lady in Red," "They're Either Too Young or Too Old") shamelessly.

Originally the Schlesinger cartoons were issued in two batches: "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies". Although both were intended to exploit the Warner Brothers' music library, both the new stuff written for the movies and acquired when they bought Brunswick and four sheet publishers, one series was contractually required to feature a song from the Wanrers Library -- which the staff hated because they hadn't figured out how to figure out how to integrate the music into the action. Surprisingly, it was Earl Duvall who figured out how to do it in Sittin' on a Backyard Fence (1933). But they still hated it.

The quotes you refer to were due to Carl Stalling, who invented mickeymousing while he was working with Disney. THink of them as situational leitmotifs.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

User avatar
Harlett O'Dowd
Posts: 2103
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 am

boblipton wrote: The quotes you refer to were due to Carl Stalling, who invented mickeymousing while he was working with Disney. THink of them as situational leitmotifs.

Bob
don't "situational leitmotifs" go back to the playing of "Hearts and Flowers" during stage melodramas?

User avatar
Mister Renfield
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Mister Renfield » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 am

Alfred Newman recycled themes from THE ROBE in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, especially during the Raising of Lazarus.

ClayKing
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:35 am
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by ClayKing » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Mister Renfield wrote:Alfred Newman recycled themes from THE ROBE in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, especially during the Raising of Lazarus.
And it was done only under duress, at the insistence of George Stevens.
-Rich

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Ray Faiola wrote:
brendangcarroll wrote:Regarding TOM SAWYER, the title music is actually recycled from the end credits music from STELLA DALLAS. The music track from this picture is a real hodge podge of earlier sources, by a variety of composers, not just Alfred Newman. Someone should compile a cue sheet one day!
Not only that, but the 92 minute version had different music scoring than the 77 minute reissue. Selznick was ever the fiddler (aka meddler) when it came to music!!
Does the 92 minute version survive?

And watching the opening credits, what should one hear, but the theme from LITTLE WOMEN (1933)...
...and reused in 1949, credited to Adolph Deutsch...

User avatar
Rick Lanham
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:22 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
Ray Faiola wrote:
brendangcarroll wrote:Regarding TOM SAWYER, the title music is actually recycled from the end credits music from STELLA DALLAS. The music track from this picture is a real hodge podge of earlier sources, by a variety of composers, not just Alfred Newman. Someone should compile a cue sheet one day!
Not only that, but the 92 minute version had different music scoring than the 77 minute reissue. Selznick was ever the fiddler (aka meddler) when it came to music!!
Does the 92 minute version survive?

And watching the opening credits, what should one hear, but the theme from LITTLE WOMEN (1933)...
...and reused in 1949, credited to Adolph Deutsch...
The new blu-ray from Kino (just released this month) is said to include both versions:

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tom-S ... dpSrc=srch" target="_blank

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

User avatar
Ray Faiola
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Ellenville, NY
Contact:

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm

WELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME!! Thanks for the link! Long overdue and ORDERED!!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Recycled Music (WAY DOWN EAST, 1935)

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:32 am



The piece of music which starts when Henry King's credit appears is particularly familiar, possibly from a later film...
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

User avatar
s.w.a.c.
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: The Land of Evangeline

Re: Recycled Music (WAY DOWN EAST, 1935)

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvbq1NvEEY" target="_blank

The piece of music which starts when Henry King's credit appears is particularly familiar, possibly from a later film...
I've been curious about watching this, but not in that visual marvel of the ages well-known to YouTube viewers, Squish-O-Vision.

Although I guess YT has addressed this..."for better or for worse".
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Recycled Music (WAY DOWN EAST, 1935)

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:16 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvbq1NvEEY" target="_blank

The piece of music which starts when Henry King's credit appears is particularly familiar, possibly from a later film...
I've been curious about watching this, but not in that visual marvel of the ages well-known to YouTube viewers, Squish-O-Vision.

Although I guess YT has addressed this..."for better or for worse".
I was rather annoyed at first, but if you can watch YT on your TV set, the aspect ratio key should fix the problem ok, although downloading gives the same awkward image. It's not that good a copy, but better than others...

...and how's this for a pointless upload?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O10UbsUDRJ8&=17s

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded You Tube link.

User avatar
Frame Rate
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: Recycled Music

Unread post by Frame Rate » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Alfred Newman's Moon-of-Manakoora score for MR. ROBINSON CRUSOE revisited the South Seas in THE HURRICANE, and his marvelously Gershwin-esque STREET SCENE theme went on to enjoy an extremely active afterlife: popping up repeatedly in such TCF outings as CRY OF THE CITY, KISS OF DEATH, I WAKE UP SCREAMING, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, THE DARK CORNER, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT, the MY FRIEND IRMA films (and broadcast episodes) and most spectacularly as the on-screen, orchestra-concert prologue (with Alfie himself conducting) to HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE!

BTW, is there a current DVD source for the "international" (silent film-style) version of CRUSOE, with its lovely Newman score virtually uninterrupted by spoken dialogue?
If only our opinions were as variable as the pre-talkie cranking speed...

Post Reply