Has anything happened yo RKO Pictures

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
wingate

Has anything happened yo RKO Pictures

Unread post by wingate » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 am

I have always had a fondness for RKO Pictures.I always enjoyed their films even some of the trash from the Hughes era.I am currently finishing the excellent book Slow fade to black,which I highly recommend.I went to see and enjoyed theirbshow Top Hat when it was on in London.I have looked in on their website from time to time to see their current activity.However now the website is down.I searched the Variety and Hollywood Reporter website but no news.Does anyone have any news of RKO?

Richard P. May

Re: Has anything happened yo RKO Pictures

Unread post by Richard P. May » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 am

The basic RKO library was acquired by Turner Entertainment Co. in 1988, and has had circulation along with other Turner libraries (MGM, pre-1950 WB).
The company had some activity under the ownership of Ted Hartley, but I haven't seen anything of recent activity for many years. It is possible that there is a legal existence, but pretty well inactive.
Dick May

wingate

Re: Has anything happened yo RKO Pictures

Unread post by wingate » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for that.However they have not been inactive.They have been involved in co producing as recently as 2015.Also their stage show Top Hat toured the UK only a few years ago.