A question on Ford's Men Without Women, 1930

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
aldiboronti

A question on Ford's Men Without Women, 1930

Unread post by aldiboronti » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 am

I just watched this for the first time and greatly enjoyed it but it's the oddest mix of sound and silent that I've seen. I've seen many part sound, part silent between 1927 and 1930 but usually the sound parts are complete, a scene here, a scene there. But this film has the parts intermixed. For example there's a scene when they're trapped in the sub and a guy tries to leave through the gun access port. The scene is silent until the guy is washed back down. Switch to sound. We hear the guy choking and gagging. 'What was the matter?', says an officer. The guy replies, 'I ..... I, er ...... Switch to silent as a title card comes up "The valve's jammed". There's lots of scenes like this with some of the dialogue between actors spoken and some silent in the same conversation.

What's the rationale for this? I can understand Ford making it as a silent and then adding scenes with sound, what I don't quite get is why he would use the sound in such a piecemeal fashion, switching from one to the other so haphazardly.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: A question on Ford's Men Without Women, 1930

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm

There are at least two threads on this confusing issue. Enter 'submarine' to find one, and 'women' and 'international' (as in 'international version) to find the other one, which I think I started. Discussion got rather heated at times!

Salvidienus

Re: A question on Ford's Men Without Women, 1930

Unread post by Salvidienus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 pm

It is the Foreign Sound Version aka International Sound Version made for export..... titles would be translated into the appropriate language and spliced in and they could still advertise it as a Sound Film because technically it was. The domestic All Talking version is apparently lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... nd_Version" target="_blank" target="_blank