Secrets of a Secretary '31

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Dave Pitts

Secrets of a Secretary '31

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm

I love Claudette Colbert -- who was smoother, warmer, more whimsical, and who had a more melodious voice? -- and have seen just about everything she was in from '29 -'50. But this one eludes me. And it has a plum supporting role for Mary Boland. It does not seem to have made it into the 'gray market'. Who has seen it? How does it hold up? And where/how did you see it?

smokey15

Re: Secrets of a Secretary '31

Unread post by smokey15 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:04 pm

According t the IMD it doesn't appear to have any "rights" issues" to prevent from being distributed or telecast.
I see that it is listed on ioffer.com (probably some bootleg copy).

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 am

Looks like it's available on YT:

Rick
Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:06 am

Used to be readily available in a pretty decent print. I have one. That company nearly got processed, but instead went out of business.

Decent film. Even has a very young Millard Mitchell in it! I'm a big Colbert fan, too, especially the early ones.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Looks a good copy, particularly considering its scarcity. And Burton (sic) Churchill as well!

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:05 pm

It must have been on TCM at some point, since I have an old VHS that I recorded ages ago.

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:51 am

The soundtrack on that YT copy is a little shaky. Maybe it improves?

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:03 pm

I just went on ebay, where I found several dealers offering it -- I have one on the way!!

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 am

Watched it last night -- I've now seen all of Colbert's features from '29 to '52. It's a wonky film -- a society drama with riches to rags to riches, blackmail, and murder. Colbert is blonde in the early scenes, and I must've missed a line or two because she goes to her standard brunette after a couple of scenes, and I didn't see why. It reminded me a bit of Man from Yesterday ('32), in which Paramount again stuck her in a melodramatic, somewhat cheesy story. In both films, Colbert decided that the only way to play such corn was to commit to it and give all the suffering or angry or rueful scenes the full treatment. By contrast, they were giving Carole Lombard the same kind of society stories at this time, and she gave much cooler performances. With Colbert, you get a silly story line but some interesting, flashy acting. With Lombard, you get her gorgeous face but the silliness of the stories becomes more obtrusive.
This will never be a favorite film for me, but any Colbert is worth seeing -- just to hear that voice!

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Dave Pitts wrote:Watched it last night -- I've now seen all of Colbert's features from '29 to '52. It's a wonky film -- a society drama with riches to rags to riches, blackmail, and murder. Colbert is blonde in the early scenes, and I must've missed a line or two because she goes to her standard brunette after a couple of scenes, and I didn't see why. It reminded me a bit of Man from Yesterday ('32), in which Paramount again stuck her in a melodramatic, somewhat cheesy story. In both films, Colbert decided that the only way to play such corn was to commit to it and give all the suffering or angry or rueful scenes the full treatment. By contrast, they were giving Carole Lombard the same kind of society stories at this time, and she gave much cooler performances. With Colbert, you get a silly story line but some interesting, flashy acting. With Lombard, you get her gorgeous face but the silliness of the stories becomes more obtrusive.
This will never be a favorite film for me, but any Colbert is worth seeing -- just to hear that voice!
Love them both, Claudette is a top 5 favorite and Carole at least top 15. I've still yet to see several of Colbert's pre-1933 films though most are available for sale online in "fan copies". Claudette is wonderful in all the early talkies I've seen her in (particularly MANHANDLED) have yet to see "Secretary". Carole is less impressive in this era perhaps because she had no stage experience and is kind of generic in most of these before she found her gifts. Still can't believe Universal included MAN OF THE WORLD in their Glamour Collection, a totally blah role for her and secondary to Kay Francis besides.