Question about Walter Winchell short on King of Jazz bluray

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Phototone

Question about Walter Winchell short on King of Jazz bluray

Unread post by Phototone » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 am

[Title changed to reflect correct name —Moderator]

The Paul Winchell short in the supplementary materials on the new King of Jazz bluray disc. Feature the Paul Whiteman orchestra. In the scenes with the orchestra playing you see Western Electric type microphones, one for the orchestra and one for the vocalist. Now, in most 1930's musical shorts no microphones are visible, which indicates the sound was pre-recorded and the orchestra and singer lip-synced. Not so on this film, and further, in the small nightclub space depicted in this short no microphone would have been required for the orchestra unless they were doing a radio broadcast, although I can see that a "crooner" would need a microphone. However the Western Electric condenser mics with the preamp below in a round cannister were not used for PA work. (Too expensive). Was this all live sound recording when the band was playing?

FilmGauge

Re: Quetion about Paul Winchell short on King of Jazz bluray

Unread post by FilmGauge » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:35 pm

I assume you are talking about the Walter Winchell short, not one with Paul Winchell.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm

I missed the Paul Winchell bit. Didn't see Jerry Mahoney or Knucklehead Smiff either.
Last edited by drednm on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:12 am

The 1933 Universal Walter Winchell short, I KNOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS, was mainly shot live at the Hotel Biltmore. We have some production stills from the shoot. The mikes would be used in that venue anyway but doubled for the film's sound recording. Singer Jack Fulton relayed to Matias Bombal that he and the and were never paid for their appearance!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 am

vitaphone wrote:The 1933 Universal Walter Winchell short, I KNOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS, was mainly shot live at the Hotel Biltmore. We have some production stills from the shoot. The mikes would be used in that venue anyway but doubled for the film's sound recording. Singer Jack Fulton relayed to Matias Bombal that he and the and were never paid for their appearance!
If this is I Know Everybody and Everybody’s Racket, it was shown last spring at MOMA at the Bride of Universal Restoration festival, along with a lot of Mentone shorts.

If it’s Paul and not Walter, was he doing Tigger?

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 am

Yes Bob. I curated and introduced that show at MOMA and selected the shorts. Also suggested Criterion include it in the KOJ set.

Phototone

Unread post by Phototone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:03 am

My mistake, it is indeed Walter Winchell, but since there is only one Winchell short on the BluRay, I think everybody can identify which short I am referring to.

precode

Unread post by precode » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:42 pm

boblipton wrote:
vitaphone wrote:The 1933 Universal Walter Winchell short, I KNOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS, was mainly shot live at the Hotel Biltmore. We have some production stills from the shoot. The mikes would be used in that venue anyway but doubled for the film's sound recording. Singer Jack Fulton relayed to Matias Bombal that he and the and were never paid for their appearance!
If this is I Know Everybody and Everybody’s Racket, it was shown last spring at MOMA at the Bride of Universal Restoration festival, along with a lot of Mentone shorts.

If it’s Paul and not Walter, was he doing Tigger?

Bob
We also ran it at Cinecon last year. It's a hoot, and surprisingly, Winchell does not come across all that sympathetically.

Mike S.

busby1959

Re: Question about Walter Winchell short on King of Jazz blu

Unread post by busby1959 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:54 pm

I recognize the song over the opening credits as the theme music from THREE ON A MATCH. It is a lovely melody...does anyone know the name?