House Of Wax/Mystery Of Wax Museum 1933 Bluray query

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
David Alp

House Of Wax/Mystery Of Wax Museum 1933 Bluray query

Unread post by David Alp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 am

So, I went to London yesterday and went shopping at FOPP -- (it's an excellent DVD and Bluray store with very reasonable prices). I was going to buy the two'fer "House Of Wax" (1953) set, on blu-ray, and in 3D, which includes the 1933 Technicolor original "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/digital-Downlo ... ax+blu+ray" target="_blank

However, it said [in tiny tiny tiny print] on the back "Extras include trailer, and 1933 original - "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum". -- Extra's may not be in HD.

So I thought oh heck!! So I went to the desk, and I said I wanted to buy the package, (but only because it included "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" (1933) as an extra,) but I specifically wanted to know whether or not "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" was in HD,?

He 'ummed and 'arrred and he checked on-line etc, whilst he was holding up the long queue of people, but he couldn't give me a definitive answer. I said "Look -- it says here on the back that the extra's may not be in HD, and Wax Museum is classed as an extra!"...

He said that inside the packaging was a blu-ray AND also a DVD. I said, "yeah well I've already got "Mystery" on a DVD from years ago, so I don't need another DVD of it... " -- so in the end I just decided not to purchase it, as he wouldn't allow me to open up the package to get a definitive answer.

So does anyone know if "Mystery" is presented in HD on this release? Because if so I will go ahead order it from Amazon as its about the same price from one of the people selling a "used" copy.

Thanks guys :D

Danny Burk

Re: House Of Wax/Mystery Of Wax Museum 1933 Bluray query

Unread post by Danny Burk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 am

No, it's not HD. It's the same as before.

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Shame.. :(

Thanks for clarifying that though Danny.

You saved me £12.50 so I do thank you! :)

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

I do not believe that a high def Mystery of the Wax Museum exists, does it? I believe I also recall from another thread that oddly, the laserdisc version is superior to anything put out on DVD.

Matthew

precode

Unread post by precode » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 pm

mwalls wrote:I do not believe that a high def Mystery of the Wax Museum exists, does it? I believe I also recall from another thread that oddly, the laserdisc version is superior to anything put out on DVD.

Matthew
Yes, the laserdisc accurately reproduces the two-color original. The DVD master was created by someone who tried to "improve" the color by introducing blue into it.

Mike S.