Narrow Margin Question (Spoiler Alert)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
mwalls

Narrow Margin Question (Spoiler Alert)

Unread post by mwalls » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

*************************SPOILER ALERT****************************

I have a question about the film Narrow Margin. When I first watched it, I thought that Marie Windsor was a decoy to throw off the assassins from the real gangster's girlfriend. But, when I recently watched it, the script seemed to make it sound as though Marie Windsor, who was from internal affairs, was really trying to see if McGraw would take a bribe. It would seem odd to put the decoy and the real target on the same train. Can I get some thoughts please as to whether Marie was intended as a decoy, or to test McGraw if he would take a bribe?

Thanks,
Matthew

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Narrow Margin Question (Spoiler Alert)

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm

I think she's from Internal Affairs because he wouldn't know her (such units, at least in movie lore, tend to be isolated from the general society of cops); she's a decoy, because they need one, but part of her skill set is that she's there to watch out if the mob gets to the cop on the train.

What I don't think is that she's just there to see if he can be bought, if that's what you're asking.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:I think she's from Internal Affairs because he wouldn't know her (such units, at least in movie lore, tend to be isolated from the general society of cops); she's a decoy, because they need one, but part of her skill set is that she's there to watch out if the mob gets to the cop on the train.

What I don't think is that she's just there to see if he can be bought, if that's what you're asking.
That is what I was wondering after my last watch of the film. The gangster's wife suggested it, and said she was just supposed to make her way to LA as if her being on that train was an awful coincidence. It did not quite seem right, and I liked my first impression better, but was looking to validate. Thanks.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 pm

If there's any movie I should know, it's one of Uncle Gordon's greatest.*

* He's not actually related, but I always liked him, because there are so few prominent Geberts.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 am

Aww I was hoping you WERE related! I love that kid-- both in this film and A Holiday Affair.