ESCAPADE 1935

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
buskeat

ESCAPADE 1935

Unread post by buskeat » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am

I've been trying like heck to find out why there seems to be no trace of Robert Z Leonard's ESCAPADE (1935) starring William Powell and Luise Rainer. I think there are legal issues involved but I can't seem to nail down exactly what those issues are. Do any of you wonderful people know what's up with this MGM film?

I know it was Rainer's big domestic breakthrough after winning the part when Myrna Loy dropped out of the part because she was on strike but why the film is out of circulation remains a bit of a mystery to me.

s.w.a.c.

Re: ESCAPADE 1935

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

There could be story rights issues due to the fact that the film it was based on, Will Forst's Maskerade (1934), was turned into a stage operetta in the late '70s.

(Just a guess, but it seems probable.)
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Here's some info that I found, which would confirm the story rights problem if accurate:
https://luise-rainer.com/film/escapade-1935/" target="_blank

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

Danny Burk wrote:Here's some info that I found, which would confirm the story rights problem if accurate:
https://luise-rainer.com/film/escapade-1935/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Escapade is now extremely rare and, as far as I can see, has never been released on home video or on DVD. It continues to prove elusive due to issues with the rights which are mired in complications. One theory is that once MGM’s ownership had expired the rights reverted to Walter Reisch, the original writer. This may account for its unavailability for public screening, although just how many copies even still exist is unknown. There were two very rare screenings in the early 1990s, most likely showing prints from private collections. In 1992 it was screened at the historic Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto as part of a William Powell retrospective (it was first shown at this cinema on its initial release in 1935). The film was also screened, apparently at Luise’s request, for her personal appearance at the Cinecon 30th anniversary event in Los Angeles in 1994. I have been unable to verify any other screenings and would welcome any further information. There are rumours that Luise herself owned a private copy of the film (which may be the print screened at CineCon), however, when I spoke to her about the films in 2002 she said she did not own any copies of any of her work at MGM. If it’s true that she did have a copy of the film this did not surface in the effects of her estate which were auctioned in October 2015; it may still be in the hands of her daughter, Francesca, if it exists at all.

antoniod

Unread post by antoniod » Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm

But they CAN show(and release on DVD)the original MAKARADE(which was the hit of my German Club in 1982!). Does that make sense?

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 am

antoniod wrote:But they CAN show(and release on DVD)the original MAKARADE(which was the hit of my German Club in 1982!). Does that make sense?
If MGM's (or the holder of its library's) rights to the film/story have lapsed, or are too expensive to clear up, it does.

Jay Salsberg

Unread post by Jay Salsberg » Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm

There were two very rare screenings in the early 1990s, most likely showing prints from private collections.
Not necessarily. George Eastman Museum owns the MGM collection, so the print most likely came from them.