Song Similarity

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Frame Rate

Song Similarity

Unread post by Frame Rate » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am

Is there more than a coincidental connection between the "clown's song" in the 1932 German film QUICK and Jo Stafford's 1952 hit "You Belong to Me"?

k

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube links
If only our opinions were as variable as the pre-talkie cranking speed...

s.w.a.c.

Re: Song Similarity

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 am

Unless You Belong to Me songwriter Chilton Price from Fern Creek, Kentucky was a big fan of early 1930s German cinema, I'm inclined to say no.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

brendangcarroll

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm

This reminds me of much more famous examples...

My two favourites are:

1. "Be a Clown" from THE PIRATE and "Make 'em Laugh" from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - which is a definite case of theft from Cole Porter, not that seemed to object at the time.

2. "I'll Never Stop Loving You" (by Nicholas Brodsky) from LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME (1955) which takes the famous Dambusters March by Eric Coates and just slows down its fabulous 'big tune' for the melody! Not surprisingly, it was nominated for an Oscar!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm

"Love Letters in the Sand" and "Till the Lights of London Shine Again" seem to be very similar to me.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 am

The link to the 192 German Quick also brings up another clip from the film. However, the complete film is not there. But the French version with Charles Boyer is there.

zigguraticus

Unread post by zigguraticus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Whether the similarity in the opening notes was deliberate or accidental is very hard to determine due to the vast amount of recorded notes that have been wafting around in the ether for so many decades. These days it seems that almost every "song" sounds like every other one. There is a plethora of web sites devoted to this topic. In any event, good old Werner R. Heymann who wrote the music to "Gnadige Frau..." composed a number of beautiful tunes first in Germany and later in Hollywood (thanks, Adolf) that are worth a listen.