Boris Karloff as Captain Hook in B'way Version of Peter Pan.

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Ken Viewer

Boris Karloff as Captain Hook in B'way Version of Peter Pan.

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 am

I don't know where to put this since it's really ephemeral to most of the topics, but Boris Karloff co-starred, as Captain Hook, in an almost-forgotten 1950 Broadway presentation of a creation by Leonard Bernstein, as composer/lyricist, of a musical version of "Peter Pan" that ran for almost a year on Broadway. His co-star was Jean Arthur and the production is being revived in a cut-down version at Bard College's summer arts festival soon, obvious without the original cast.

What makes it more interesting to me is this photo of Karloff in stage makeup that was used for publicity for the show:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4o9duHpeBQQ/ ... s+Hook.jpg" target="_blank

This information is courtesy of an article in today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/arts ... -bard.html" target="_blank

For more specific and interesting information, go to the Wikipedia entry for this topic:

LINK

Ken

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Boris Karloff as Captain Hook in B'way Version of Peter

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:25 am

I fixed the last link which for some reason wasn't working. I've seen that still because I had the Citadel Press Films of Boris Karloff book as a kid, but interesting to learn about the production (and realize that it's not the same as the Mary Martin/Cyril Ritchard musical, later famed with Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby).
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am

John Oller's biography of Jean Arthur, Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew, talks about this musical play.

Ray Faiola

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Columbia released an original cast LP. The score was not nearly as infectious as the one by Moose Charlap and Jule Styne (and Comden & Green). But Karloff sounded like he was having a ball as Captain Hook.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Mike, thanks for fixing the link. I did a quick lookup of details about the production of the 1950 version and it's listed in the Internet Broadway Data Base as a "revival" and a straight-play. I knew the show's co-producer, Roger L. Stevens, when he was running the Kennedy Center and underwriting their deficits from his personal checkbook. I don't see a "Based upon" credit listed and don't believe he'd have hired Leonard Bernstein to do music and lyrics for a revival.

But apparently Stevens came late to the show, kicking in about 25 percent of the cost of mounting this 43-character version. I'm unable to locate the New York Times's review of the show because, it seems, the Times has changed its archives arrangement for digital subscribers. A customer-service person was only able to find me a link to the entire April 24, 1950 edition, the night on which the production debuted. That did not help.

Anyway, one of Broadway's best-kept secrets is many star-performers/directors/producers had their shows surreptitiously filmed during several live performances (in segments) but the rights-issues and fact the most powerful unions on Broadway -- the stagehands and musicians unions -- have not been compensated make it impossible to publicly exhibit these films. For something like half-a-century, the Metropolitan Opera had its operas semi-secretly audio-recorded for archival purposes before it reached agreement with its unions to allow special recordings of these performances to be released at premium prices for fund-raising (and compensated those who needed to be compensated, if any) purposes.

Perhaps, just maybe, somewhere out there is a film of this 1950 musical.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Viewer on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feufollet

Unread post by Feufollet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Ken Viewer wrote:I did a quick lookup of details about the production of the 1950 version and it's listed in the Internet Broadway Data Base as a "revival" and a straight-play. I knew the show's co-producer, Roger L. Stevens, when he was running the Kennedy Center and underwriting their deficits from his personal checkbook. I don't see a "Based upon" credit listed and don't believe he'd have hired Leonard Bernstein to do music and lyrics for a revival.
I suspect that in this case, "revival" refers to the production being a version of the original play by J. M. Barrie. The NYT article linked above indicates that the production started out as the standard Barrie script with an instrumental Bernstein score, and then Bernstein got enthusiastic and started adding original songs.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:16 pm

="Feufollet"

I suspect that in this case, "revival" refers to the production being a version of the original play by J. M. Barrie. The NYT article linked above indicates that the production started out as the standard Barrie script with an instrumental Bernstein score, and then Bernstein got enthusiastic and started adding original songs.

Feufollet,

It appears you are correct, An older article by the current music critic of The Los Angeles Times, Mark Swed, who is highly-regarded, at the time the musical production with Bernstein efforts was revived in Los Angles circa 2008, indicates that original lead-producer Peter Lawrence was the key producer and Bernstein wasn't even present for the opening night in 1950.

Ahh, well. I'd still like to see a film of the show.

Ken

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:27 am

Ken Viewer wrote:one of Broadway's best-kept secrets is many star-performers/directors/producers had their shows surreptitiously filmed during several live performances (in segments) but the rights-issues and fact the most powerful unions on Broadway -- the stagehands and musicians unions -- have not been compensated make it impossible to publicly exhibit these films.
Youse got a problem wit dat? (Craig Wichman, here, A.E.A.)

Seriously, though ~

From that era, there are such segments extant, but few-if-not-none whole shows - that I know of? In the videotape age, though, the practice became pretty common, and many such recordings are at the Lincoln Center Library.

But ~

I've often pipe-dreamed about pseudo-recreations of such "lost" shows...

For a good century, many Broadway shows have had fair amounts of still photos taken. Taking these, colorizing them accurately, and doing Animatic-style pans, wipes, zooms, etc., married to things like the original cast recordings and radio versions, could produce worthwhile LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT-type recreations.

(I'd like to do this with Jack Barrymore's HAMLET and RICHARD!)

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:42 am

Wich2,

It really had been a very-well-kept secret...and perhaps deserves its own thread. As for every single moment of a show or ballet (where it's been done since no-later than the 1920s, based upon my getting to know at least two of the later filmers (16 MM) and seeing some of the films. (Several of the filmers periodically invited friends to their homes for viewings.) No, they wouldn't shoot actors or dancers walking to a mark, but all the material a film-director wouldn't cut was often filmed...

Anyway, I'll post about it in a while.

For the best explanation I've read of the Bernstein role in the Peter Pan 1950 production and the so-called cast album:

https://leonardbernstein.com/works/view/46/peter-pan" target="_blank

Ken
Last edited by Ken Viewer on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 pm

I wrote a personalized post that only marginally dealt with Broadway show-films shot by fans in order to make historical records of the shows. In the post, I deliberately didn't name any shows out of concerns that even at this late date, I didn't want to be involved if any inquiry developed. The post was mostly about me and how I accidentally came upon this world of dance and theater filmings. In the end, I believe it contributed nothing to the subject and I've deleted it.

If ever I'm willing to name names, I might revisit it but it's one of those things better kept mostly off-the-record for the rest of my life. In future years, I can always reconsider this. Thanks for the patience and to anyone who read it, thanks for putting up with a post more about me and anonymous people and performances.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Viewer on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:42 am

Ray Faiola wrote:Columbia released an original cast LP. The score was not nearly as infectious as the one by Moose Charlap and Jule Styne (and Comden & Green). But Karloff sounded like he was having a ball as Captain Hook.
I have the 78 album & while the score isn't quite as catchy the casting of Arthur AND Karloff did it no service. Their limited vocal skills meant that their numbers had to be rewritten, and some cut entirely. I'll grant that Cyril Ritchard was not a great vocalist either, but he had decades of experience in working around that.
Eric Stott

westegg

Unread post by westegg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

Re the saga of the filmed dances, the tricky part for me is getting my time machine to work properly. Once I can land in 1925 Times Square my smartphone is going to be very busy in theaters.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am

westegg wrote:Re the saga of the filmed dances, the tricky part for me is getting my time machine to work properly. Once I can land in 1925 Times Square my smartphone is going to be very busy in theaters.
As for filmed dances from the 1920s, I never met anyone who filmed any of them in New York. But if it's 1920s you want, here's part of the Ruth Page Collection now housed at the esteemed Chicago Film Archives, a regional repository of films on subjects from dance to professional wrestling.

There's a large selection to choose from, but they have tried using their own servers to pump out the footage rather than post it all on Youtube, and sometimes it hasn't worked so well. Here's the then-celebrated artist Adolph Bolm, in a circa 1922 silent, roughly 5-minute cut, that begins with several minutes of nothing but filmed photographs and then switches to a live performance. (Check out the rest of the collection there if it's your cup of tea.):

http://www.chicagofilmarchives.org/coll ... t_id/15850" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Here's a dance Page choreographed for herself and this performance, at Ravinia, dates from 1928 and the CFA uploaded it to Youtube:

I could go on all day with footage of other stars and other choreographers, having nothing to do with the CFA, but the information I initially intended to convey is live-theater-performances on Broadway were, at one time, filmed without official permission.

Ken
Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am

Here's a number with Karloff singing (toward the end). He has a full singing voice, but a narrow range.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

busby1959

Unread post by busby1959 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

In Stephen Jacob's excellent biography of Karloff, he mentions than Boris did not get along well with Jean Arthur. He thought her behaviour was unprofessional. I love Arthur, but according to all reports, she was rather...quirky. Karloff had a better working relationship with Joan McCracken, her replacement.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks, Mike, for posting the excerpt from the original cast album. A question I have for all is, given it's 2018 and Leonard Bernstein's music and lyrics did variously contribute to the original show, would the same 1950 production now be considered a musical?

Regarding films/videos shot in Broadway houses of live performances, it took only a while to find various examples of such events. Picking just one, here is what is purportedly the full production of the 2006 Broadway revival of "A Chorus Line," which originally was presented some 43 years ago. Seek and ye shall find...

I'd be grateful if the link below is not turned into an embed, given the many years I've been covering , as a reporter and/or editor, rights-issues and the ever-reinterpreted copyright laws by the Federal courts it has made me a bit punchy regarding such rights and copyright issues, along with my own successful copyright-infringement litigation and threats of litigation.

Should there be rights issues with the current Youtube upload, it's their problem and that of the uploader, although I substantially appreciate that person's efforts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8syH_cjMo" target="_blank

Ken

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am

Ken, that supports what I wrote earlier:

Since the Videotape Age, there has been an intentional, authorized project to record entire B'way shows. Again, many are held at Lincoln Center.

And as I also wrote above, yes, before that in the 16mm age, portions of shows were shot by various folks at various times.

-Craig

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:56 am

wich2 wrote:Ken, that supports what I wrote earlier:

Since the Videotape Age, there has been an intentional, authorized project to record entire B'way shows. Again, many are held at Lincoln Center.

And as I also wrote above, yes, before that in the 16mm age, portions of shows were shot by various folks at various times.

-Craig

I work at the NYPL for the Performing Arts (usually called "the Lincoln Center Library," although that's never been our name). Specifically, I work with the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive (TOFT). We are the ongoing, authorized -- i.e. union sanctioned -- project to record B'way and Off-B'way stage productions. There are also regional shows in the archive, i.e. productions taped in Chicago, New Haven, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., but the collection is primarily NYC-centric. The taping began in 1970, so most of what we have dates from that year. (Although I should add, the '70s material is pretty sparse, and the quality is generally poor. The archive didn't really get rolling until the '80s.)

At any rate, while I do wish we had footage of the Jean Arthur/Boris Karloff Peter Pan in the vaults, we don't. If such footage exists, we know nothing about it. We do have some vintage material, however. Back in 1952, Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein paid to have a dress rehearsal of their South Pacific filmed prior to the London premiere, so that the crew over there could see how it looked on B'way. The rehearsal, which was filmed in 16mm and with sound, features Mary Martin. Somewhere in the chorus, one of those sailors is her son Larry Hagman, but I haven't been able to spot him.

We have a few other goodies from earlier days: home movie footage shot by Noel Coward, including some of his own plays filmed from the wings (b&W silent). We also have a home movie of excerpts from a 1944 musical called Follow the Girls, starring Gertrude Niesen, Buster West, and a very young Jackie Gleason. This footage is silent but in color, and runs about 25 minutes. It was filmed from the house on several occasions during performances, and the gent who kept returning to do this was given permission by the producers, as long as he didn't charge admission to show the results. (That sort of arrangement was exceedingly rare, and may in fact have been unique.) It's well edited, and looks pretty good.

Otherwise, in conclusion, if any footage of the Arthur/Karloff Peter Pan is out there, that would be fantastic news. Somebody please let us know if you find it.
-- Charlie Morrow

westegg

Unread post by westegg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:37 am

Ken Viewer wrote:
westegg wrote:Re the saga of the filmed dances, the tricky part for me is getting my time machine to work properly. Once I can land in 1925 Times Square my smartphone is going to be very busy in theaters.
As for filmed dances from the 1920s, I never met anyone who filmed any of them in New York. But if it's 1920s you want, here's part of the Ruth Page Collection now housed at the esteemed Chicago Film Archives, a regional repository of films on subjects from dance to professional wrestling.

Thanks! Also, as you probably know, British Pathe on YouTube has loads of West End stage dances from the '20s, albeit many are silent.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

westegg wrote:
Ken Viewer wrote:

Thanks! Also, as you probably know, British Pathe on YouTube has loads of West End stage dances from the '20s, albeit many are silent.
You're most welcome. There is so much out there and so much more filmed without official imprimatur residing at various libraries, in archives, and perhaps in storage belonging to camera-persons' estates, in Europe and on Youtube that I wouldn't know where to begin.

I am not and was never a fan of Ruth Page as a choreographer but the CFA collection is an excellent example of a hoard made accessible through the kindness of various people. The issue of how to make what exists without licenses and permissions accessible to all is one I often think about.

Ken

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:
wich2 wrote:Ken, that supports what I wrote earlier:

-Craig

I work at the NYPL for the Performing Arts (usually called "the Lincoln Center Library," although that's never been our name). Specifically, I work with the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive (TOFT). We are the ongoing, authorized -- i.e. union sanctioned -- project to record B'way and Off-B'way stage productions. There are also regional shows in the archive, i.e. productions taped in Chicago, New Haven, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., but the collection is primarily NYC-centric. The taping began in 1970, so most of what we have dates from that year. (Although I should add, the '70s material is pretty sparse, and the quality is generally poor. The archive didn't really get rolling until the '80s.)

At any rate, while I do wish we had footage of the Jean Arthur/Boris Karloff Peter Pan in the vaults, we don't. If such footage exists, we know nothing about it. We do have some vintage material, however. Back in 1952, Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein paid to have a dress rehearsal of their South Pacific filmed prior to the London premiere, so that the crew over there could see how it looked on B'way. The rehearsal, which was filmed in 16mm and with sound, features Mary Martin. Somewhere in the chorus, one of those sailors is her son Larry Hagman, but I haven't been able to spot him.

We have a few other goodies from earlier days: home movie footage shot by Noel Coward, including some of his own plays filmed from the wings (b&W silent). We also have a home movie of excerpts from a 1944 musical called Follow the Girls, starring Gertrude Niesen, Buster West, and a very young Jackie Gleason. This footage is silent but in color, and runs about 25 minutes. It was filmed from the house on several occasions during performances, and the gent who kept returning to do this was given permission by the producers, as long as he didn't charge admission to show the results. (That sort of arrangement was exceedingly rare, and may in fact have been unique.) It's well edited, and looks pretty good.

Otherwise, in conclusion, if any footage of the Arthur/Karloff Peter Pan is out there, that would be fantastic news. Somebody please let us know if you find it.
I have no knowledge of any film of that production and never even knew about the existence of it until the New York Times mentioned it recently (like most people, my exposure to Peter Pan was first through a visit to a movie theater to see the Disney animated film of Peter Pan).

Given you are on staff at the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts, I realize restrictions on what staff can publicly say exist. If you can discuss it here -- and if you know -- does the Library have restricted films/videos of live theater and dance performances that are not accessible to the public and may only be on deposit there in a custodial situation the way the Stravinsky Archive was?

If so, I would leave it to you to direct us to what footage that may be there, if it can be revealed. In the case of the Stravinsky Archive, the custodianship was with the consent of feuding litigants and the New York County Surrogate's Court, with the late and great Millard Midonick, Surrogate assigned to the case, I didn't know a photocopy had been made but personally supported the copying when I learned of it. It was later destroyed after a complaint by one of the attorneys for the litigants. Copies of a few pages exist in the U.S. 'engraved in stone' since one newspaper I was covering the case for had a photographer assigned to me and he shot photos later printed in the paper -- and this was pre-newspapers-on-line.

Thanks in advance for any information you can enlighten us with.

Ken

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am

Ken Viewer wrote:Given you are on staff at the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts, I realize restrictions on what staff can publicly say exist. If you can discuss it here -- and if you know -- does the Library have restricted films/videos of live theater and dance performances that are not accessible to the public and may only be on deposit there in a custodial situation the way the Stravinsky Archive was?

Ken

I'm not aware of any situation along those lines. We don't have films or videos here on deposit, as the curator wouldn't accept material under such circumstances. The closest parallel I know is a case where a Rodgers & Hart musical was staged by a semi-professional group (this was in the 1990s), and they chose to make unauthorized changes in the script. The videotape of that show was turned over to the library, and sits in the vault. A researcher would need special permission from the rights holders to view it, but the existence of the video itself is no secret.
-- Charlie Morrow

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Mr. Morrow, thanks for your response.

For those who want to see unauthorized ballet footage, here is a mere 2 1/2-minute excerpt from Leonide Massine's choreographed pre-World War II version of Gaite Parisienne (the work is minor and I used to sit it out after a first viewing at the 1970 revival by American Ballet Theatre). It was shot in less-than 24-frames-per-second silent (standard protocol for such filmers), often from side boxes reputedly over a 10-year period by Victor Jessen. The full film has been acquired and released by VAi, with Offenbach's orchestra score separately recorded by Jessen.

This footage was posted on Youtube by VAI and if anyone wants to turn the link into an embed, there should not be a problem with rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIKDQJIWy8" target="_blank

For the entire Jessen 36-minute film, assuming the poster has the right to upload it, heaven help you the choreography is so bad, it's also on Youtube, but I'd be grateful if this was not embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_H-_j888M&t=533s" target="_blank

There are a vast amount of film/videos of ballets on Youtube and if you want a better version of the ballet, the one Maurice Bejart choreographed (and at one time danced in) is here, no embedding, please, for Part One and then follow the yellow brick road for the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUrD6aRV5w" target="_blank

No more ballet posts here for me; I don't want to wear out my welcome at this great films site.

Ken

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Ken Viewer wrote: I am not and was never a fan of Ruth Page as a choreographer but the CFA collection is an excellent example of a hoard made accessible through the kindness of various people. The issue of how to make what exists without licenses and permissions accessible to all is one I often think about.

Ken
Her film "Danse Macabre" is certainly interesting for having Olin Howland dancing ballet!
Eric Stott

Kerr Lockhart

Unread post by Kerr Lockhart » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Here are nine sides from the 78 RPM album of this show. I haven't heard this yet, but I'm fairly certain that the LP version is much longer, the best part of an hour.

https://archive.org/details/78_peter-pa ... ia0004418a

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:30 am

Yikes! That's some scary pirate makeup. How did we go from that to pretty-boy Jack Sparrow?

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 am

maliejandra wrote:Yikes! That's some scary pirate makeup. How did we go from that to pretty-boy Jack Sparrow?
Well, that came via, among other talent, the minds and keyboards of screenwriters Terry Rossio and his writing partner Ted Elliott, fellow screenwriters Stuart Beattie and screenwriter Jay Wolpert. Then there's the talent of Johnny Depp and many others. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, even though Terry and Ted no longer seem to work together on the newer ones, and didn't work on all of them, IIRC, the last time I looked, those two writers/creators ranked numbers two and three among screenwriters whose films have grossed the most theatrical revenues worldwide. Please keep in mind that when they were writing partners, they had to split a single set of fees between them.

They are two amazing talents in an industry which now forces writers with their record, according to something written by Terry, to pitch on-spec for planned theatrical films. While they may be able to afford to do it, this practice has apparently wiped out the middle-class among working screenwriters.

Ken

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 pm

If you want unusual makeup, this may take the cake; it's Johnny Depp made up to play Tonto in the 2013 theatrical film The Lone Ranger:

https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/up ... ranger.jpg" target="_blank

Same producer as the "Pirates" series; Jerry Bruckheimer, same director of the first and additional Pirates films; Gore Verbinski; two of the same screenwriters as the early Pirates series; Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio.

Alas, after I failed to sit through the first Pirates movie, I gave up on the series. I did sit through The Lone Ranger but my head swiveled around several times. It's a generational gap, among other things. (The last woman I dated was over 70 years old, and of my generation.) I keep waiting for the next (and not a remake) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and meanwhile mostly watch films fancied by posters on this board.

Ken