Tab Hunter Has Passed Away

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 am

Jim Roots

Re: Tab Hunter Has Passed Away

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Aside from his unusual first name, he has been pretty much forgotten, I guess. I don't think I've even seen any of his films except the ones he made with John Waters, yet I knew his name since childhood because it was unique.

Good-lookin' guy. But then, all us blond guys are good-lookin' guys.

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm

There was LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE (1958), William Wellman's last or penultimate movie, depending on your definition of 'last'. But, yes, POLYESTER* is probably a high point...

*which alas, I never saw in Odorama...

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:00 pm

Track of the Cat, Battle Cry, Damn Yankees, a well-regarded Phil Karlson western Gunman's Walk (which I haven't seen), Ride the Wild Surf ... he made some fine movies in his time. I can't remember if They Came to Cordura was any good, but I'd watch it again if it popped up on TCM. I mean, besides Gary Cooper and Rita Hayworth, it's also got Dick York and Ed Platt in it!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Then again, I've also got a copy of Birds Do It (1966) where he's second-billed to Soupy Sales. Next stop: Italian action pictures and Disney TV movies.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:17 pm

See my days-ago review of Tab Hunter in Playhouse 90's Portrait of a Murderer in another thread.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm

I met him back when he did his book tour in 2006 - he was a very nice man and looked fantastic for his age. He signed not only my copy but my dvd cover to THEY CAME TO CORDOVA and seemed quite pleased to see a copy of it, mentioning he used his own horse for the movie. Interestingly, he declined to sign the dvd cover to LUST IN THE DUST, don't know if he wanted to just limit to signing two autographs or he wasn't proud of the movie.

He wasn't a superstar but he certainly was one of the most popular stars of the late 1950's given the ton of press he generated (I have a scrapbook full and at least 100 other full movie magazine pages). I wouldn't call him "forgotten" at all, he received quite a bit of notice in the last fifteen years or so if mainly for coming out in his senior years as well as a documentary about him that is easily available online. There are also a number of filmed interviews with him online from the last several years and he still looked great (although I was rather concerned about him via that 2006 appearance where he was interviewed on a panel at a book festival in which he repeated a couple of stories two or three times but then it could have been just nerves and natural age issues, that interview was a good 30 minutes too so that too could have been part of it.) He was by all accounts a nice guy and the ladies in the industry certainly adored him - Jane Fonda mentioned in an interview a month or so ago she and Candice Bergen and Mary Steenburgen had just recently dined with him. RIP Tab.

sepiatone

Unread post by sepiatone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 pm

he was being groomed in the 1950s and was the same age as James Dean and one other young actor who like Dean was killed[or died] in 1955. I can't think of the name of that other actor at the moment but is showcased in Daniel Blum's Pictorial/Talkies book.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am

I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy. I said he was pretty much forgotten today except possibly for his unusual name ... and always excepting classic film fans, who never let anyone be forgotten. I dare you to stop ten people in the street and ask them if they know who Tab Hunter was.

He definitely was NOT proud of Lust In the Dust. I seem to recall he refused to do any promotion for it when it was first released.

Stephen listed some of the titles he played in, and, nope, I haven't seen any of them outside of the Waters films. Possibly Battle Cry -- I can't remember if it's on the set of 10 war movies I bought a few years ago. That's the set which provoked me to a thumbs-down review of Battle of Britain on NitrateVille.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 am

one other young actor who like Dean was killed[or died] in 1955
Robert Francis of The Caine Mutiny, presumably.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Dave Pitts

Unread post by Dave Pitts » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:09 am

And, good God, he was 86! I guess that shouldn't throw me, but it does.
I saw the news when I bought the paper today, and I read the headline out loud to the clerk (who is about 35.) She said, "Tab Hunter -- is he local?" I told her he was a big teen idol, an approximate contemporary of Troy Donahue, and she said, "That's another name I've never heard." I decided to skip telling her that I just watched a DVD of Mae West in I'm No Angel.

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 am

He was one of the last of the Henry Willson clients

Re-unite The Willson Stars With Their Birth Names !

Nick Adams Robert Ozell Moseley
Mike Connors Robert John Wagner Jr.
Rory Calhoun Merle Johnson, Jr.
John Derek Krekor Ohanian
Troy Donahue Roy Harold Scherer, Jr.
Ann Doran Marilyn Louis
Chad Everett Norman Eugene Walker
Rhonda Fleming Ann Lee Doran
Ty Hardin Orison Whipple Hungerford Jr.
Rock Hudson Arthur Andrew Kelm
Tab Hunter Derek Delevan Harris
Guy Madison Nicholas Aloysius Adamshock
Doug McClure Francis Timothy McCown
John Saxon Raymon Lee Crampon
Yale Summers Carmine Orrico
Robert Wagner Douglas Osborne McClure
Clint Walker Yale Summers

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm

I would say he was largely forgotten (he would have been the first to admit that his back catalogue contained some pretty undistinguished stuff) until the excellent documentary Tab Hunter Confidential (2015) reached Netflix, and established him as a LGBT hero to lots of younger folk. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

If you want to know who's really forgotten, here's a story that was related to me by a guide at Grauman's Chinese Theatre about seven years ago. Some people took their teenage daughter on her tour. The guide pointed out photos on the walls - Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Clark Gable and so on. The girl drew a complete blank - hadn't heard of any of them. It wasn't until the guide got to Barbra Streisand that she perked up. "Well, I know who that is, obviously," she said. "Amy Winehouse!"

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:33 pm

JFK wrote: Ty Hardin Orison Whipple Hungerford Jr.
You mean to tell me that someone thought Ty Hardin better than Orison Whipple Hungerford Jr?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Brooksie wrote:... here's a story that was related to me by a guide at Grauman's Chinese Theatre about seven years ago. Some people took their teenage daughter on her tour. The guide pointed out photos on the walls - Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Clark Gable and so on. The girl drew a complete blank - hadn't heard of any of them. It wasn't until the guide got to Barbra Streisand that she perked up. "Well, I know who that is, obviously," she said. "Amy Winehouse!"
The last time I was there, everyone was completely ignoring the big stars such as Humpy Go-cart, Shirley Temple, John Barrymore, Douglas Fairbanks etc., and goo-ing and gah-ing over footprints and names of people I had never heard of. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am

Sir Donald ~

The Moving Finger writes...

Back in the "golden age," visiting Oldsters were probably saying, " 'Flynn' ? I want to see Francis X. Bushman's place!"

sepiatone

Unread post by sepiatone » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
one other young actor who like Dean was killed[or died] in 1955
Robert Francis of The Caine Mutiny, presumably.
yes, thanks MIke!

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Saw it in the news a few days ago - I remember him from "They Came to Cordura" (the movie where Dick York seriously injured his back) and also "The Burning Hills", with Natalie Woods and Claude Akins. I used to have that second one on VHS many years ago.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Scott Eckhardt

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

LUST IN THE DUST was not a John Waters film, it was directed by Paul Bartel. POLYESTER was.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am

Jim Roots wrote:I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy. I said he was pretty much forgotten today except possibly for his unusual name ... and always excepting classic film fans, who never let anyone be forgotten. I dare you to stop ten people in the street and ask them if they know who Tab Hunter was.

Jim
That's just what I mean, "ten people on the street" today would not know any of the AFI 50 greatest movie stars other than eight or ten of them. Buffs are pretty much the only people who know a fair number of the pre-1970 movie stars and I would imagine these people are familiar with Tab Hunter if only his image. How many times on Jeopardy have undeniably smart, educated people who can tell you the names of small rivers in some European country drawn a complete blank when a photo of a superstar from 1920-1970 was shown, from Gregory Peck to Greta Garbo. That's why I think it's absurd when people say a Norma Shearer or Irene Dunne is forgotten, yes of course to the general public but then they don't know who Dietrich or Harlow or Tracy or Fonda are either. The people who know who Dietrich know Shearer and Dunne. That might not have been the case in the 1960s-70s but now classic film is pretty much ghettoized and if you don't watch a channel dedicated to old movies chances are you won't see these stars anywhere.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy. I said he was pretty much forgotten today except possibly for his unusual name ... and always excepting classic film fans, who never let anyone be forgotten. I dare you to stop ten people in the street and ask them if they know who Tab Hunter was.

Jim
That's just what I mean, "ten people on the street" today would not know any of the AFI 50 greatest movie stars other than eight or ten of them. Buffs are pretty much the only people who know a fair number of the pre-1970 movie stars and I would imagine these people are familiar with Tab Hunter if only his image. How many times on Jeopardy have undeniably smart, educated people who can tell you the names of small rivers in some European country drawn a complete blank when a photo of a superstar from 1920-1970 was shown, from Gregory Peck to Greta Garbo. That's why I think it's absurd when people say a Norma Shearer or Irene Dunne is forgotten, yes of course to the general public but then they don't know who Dietrich or Harlow or Tracy or Fonda are either. The people who know who Dietrich know Shearer and Dunne. That might not have been the case in the 1960s-70s but now classic film is pretty much ghettoized and if you don't watch a channel dedicated to old movies chances are you won't see these stars anywhere.
I hope I'm not being argumentative here, but that can apply to literally anything. Does anyone but a book fiend recognize the names Theodore Dreiser, John Dos Passos, or Malcolm Cowley these days? Does anyone but a historical theatre buff know Minnie Maddern Fiske, or Fields and Weber? Heck, there are modern baseball players in the big leagues who have never heard of Mickey Mantle or Roger Maris, even though they're wearing New York Yankee uniforms themselves.

But there are a few names that transcend time and remain "generally" recognizable, even if people aren't quite sure what they did. Everyone knows the name Hemingway. Despite Binky's anecdote, most people will at least vaguely know the name Bogart. And every baseball player knows who Babe Ruth was.

Tab Hunter ain't in that class. Of course, he isn't the only one. I was trying to say he was never really a recognizable "star" even in his hottest days of greatest fame -- only that name "Tab" stuck in the memory, and then only in the 1950s.

Anyway, this has gone on quite long enough for an actor who was about as minor as they ever get.

Jim

IA

Unread post by IA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:...a well-regarded Phil Karlson western Gunman's Walk (which I haven't seen)
Gunman's Walk is superb, one of the best 50s westerns in my unhumble opinion. It's been released on Blu-Ray/DVD in several European countries but never in the USA. The plot involves a rancher who has two sons--Hunter plays the spoiled, racist, charming, and vicious one. He does so very well and even gets to sing a song while on a debauch. The ending is a real gut-puncher (it made Harry Cohn cry).

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:50 am

This morning TCM had a "TCM Remembers Tab Hunter" as one of its Interstitials" about 7:40 AM.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 pm

TCM changes their schedule to honor Tab Hunter, July 20, 2018.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-new ... unter-7-20" target="_blank
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.