GEORGE SCHNEIDERMAN

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
earlytalkiebuffRob

GEORGE SCHNEIDERMAN

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 pm

This prolific and outstanding cameraman's movie career came to a close in 1940 at the young age of forty-five or forty-six. Perhaps his style was out of fashion, or was superseded by the likes of Lee Garmes and Gregg Toland. What did he do after this?

JFK

SCHNEIDERMAN-Salary;Replaced On Film

Unread post by JFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Given his healthy Fox salary (Motion Picture Daily 3/21/1936)
maybe there were other problems ...

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/6842

Last edited by JFK on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 am, edited 6 times in total.

Rick Lanham

Re: GEORGE SCHNEIDERMAN

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I searched on Ancestry and some old newspapers. His 1942 draft card simply said that he was unemployed.
His voting registrations changed party affiliation in different years. I noticed one for Democrat, one for Republican, and one Independent. He was born in NY. His parents were from Russia.

At the time of WWI, he was head of the Fox film lab. This story hit the papers. The enforced "vacation" mentioned may refer to the flu outbreak.
////
Los Angeles Herald 29 October 1918
Fitting Ceremony
George Schneiderman, laboratory director at the William Fox studios, began his first day of the enforced vacation by going fishing at Santa Monica. He caught a three-pound yellow tail. On the way home he busted a tire.
He gave the fish to his wife and went out and bought a tire for $69. He had a friend to dinner. When George appeared at table he was attired in his full dress suit.
“What’s the matter, George?” asked his wife.
“Never mind what’s the matter,” he answered. “Bring on that fish. It cost me $69 and I intend to treat it with all due respect.”
////

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.