National Film Registry 2018

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
MaryGH

National Film Registry 2018

Unread post by MaryGH » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm

I sent in my nominations at lunch today - deadline date is September 15, 2018.

I like their online form compared to the email address from years passed:

https://www.research.net/r/national-film-registry-2017
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Harlowgold

Re: National Film Registry 2018

Unread post by Harlowgold » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you for posting this, I often forget to vote

As the studios say in their ads "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" please vote for these (you can vote for 50 films)!

I'm first listing titles the site lists as suggestions, perhaps they have access to work on all of these already!!

1909 - The Seventh Day - early Mary Pickford Griffith film
1911 - Vanity Fair - Helen Gardner, John Bunny
1914 - Tillie's Punctured Romance - incredible it's not been voted in yet
1917 - A Girl's Folly - supposedly Doris Kenyon's best work, Tourner film, Frances Marion script
1922 - Back Pay - Fannie Hurst soaper directed by Borzage, stars Seena Owen, Matt Moore
1923 - Jazzmania - Mae Murray YOU GOTTA VOTE FOR THIS ONE!!
1924 - Captain January - wouldn't this be a great 100th birthday present for Baby Peggy!!
1924 - Romola - Dorothy & Lillian Gish's last film together
1928 - Our Dancing Daughter - Anita Page's shining hour, essential flapper film and certainly the print TCM shows needs work!!
1930 - To'able David - very rare remake with Richard Cromwell in first major role
1931 - The Guardsman - the Lunts only starring talkie
1933 - Blood Money - wild precode with a glamourous (!!) Judith Anderson
1939 - Disputed Pasage - rare Borzage soaper starring Dorothy Lamour
1940 - They Knew What they Wanted - Carole Lombard & Charles Laughton ESSENTIAL TO RESCUE - apparently locked in one of those author estate deals
1943 - Riding High - Dorothy Lamour-Dick Powell Technicolor musical - ESSENTIAL as only B&W copy circulates among fans
1945 - A Medal for Benny - nominated for several Oscars, reportedly Dorothy Lamour's finest hour, ESSENTIAL TO RESCUE, another author estate thing
1946 Song of the South - even if you're offended by it, it needs to be preserved, fear one day Disney will destroy it
1950 Three Came Home - great Claudette Colbert WWII story, major 20th Fox film but public domain so it needs to be cared for
1952 On Dangerous Ground - one of my favorite noirs, stars Robert Ryan, Ida Lupino
1956 The Girl Can't Help it - Jayne Mansfield and several iconic rock stars, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Eddy Cochran, etc
Not on the suggestions list but they exist and they need the love:

1915 - Vanity Fair - Mrs. Fiske in one of her two starring films, exists in at least two archives ESSENTIAL
1933 - Christopher Bean - Marie Dressler's last film, another author estate thing I believe, totally unseen in decades, ESSENTIAL
1953 - Thy Neighbor's Wife - super rare Cleo Moore/Hugo Haas B "bad girl" noir, totally uncirculated today but apparently a print exists at the Library of Congress

Please let's put a major studio awards thing and block vote some of these titles!! Open to more suggestions, too!!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 pm
1946 Song of the South - even if you're offended by it, it needs to be preserved, fear one day Disney will destroy it
I don't think there's much fear of that. Even though it seems unlikely they'll release it any time soon, all signs point to Disney preserving Song of the South as it would any of their historic titles.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for alerting us to this again.

I had to restart my submission when I realized we could nominate up to 50 films!

By the way I added the Lost Generation film THE LAST FLIGHT (1931) and Borzage's HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT (1937) which I didn't see on the list or among the suggestions.
- Rosemary

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 am

Did you notice the link says 2017? Hmmmm.

Seems like in the past, I got a form letter email response acknowledging submission of the form. Not this time. I wonder if this 2017 link is valid.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank