BUDD BOETTICHER

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
earlytalkiebuffRob

BUDD BOETTICHER

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Having seen a couple of the films Boetticher directed as Oscar Boetticher [Jr] (BEHIND LOCKED DOORS, KILLER SHARK), I wondered where the 'Budd' came in. Anyone know?

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: BUDD BOETTICHER

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:03 pm

My grandfather was Bud Gebert to everybody in Wichita. I suspect it may not be coincidental that two guys of similar vintage with rather starchy German-ish names—Albert and Oscar—and a Jr. after their name became all-American Bud(d) vs. their fathers. Beats my father in law, who at 6'2" was Little Mel to his 5'8" father.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

precode

Unread post by precode » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Budd hated the name "Oscar." I assume he picked Budd as a nickname because it was alliterative. He added the extra "d" because everyone else was simply "Bud."

Mike S.

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:03 pm
My grandfather was Bud Gebert to everybody in Wichita. I suspect it may not be coincidental that two guys of similar vintage with rather starchy German-ish names—Albert and Oscar—and a Jr. after their name became all-American Bud(d) vs. their fathers. Beats my father in law, who at 6'2" was Little Mel to his 5'8" father.
Maurice Maschke Jr, son of the Cleveland GOP boss was also a "Bud." ("Buddy," actually)

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank you for that. Would have thought he'd have dropped the 'Oscar' earlier, though...