"Children of Pleasure" (1930) - Technicolor?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Jack Theakston

"Children of Pleasure" (1930) - Technicolor?

Unread post by Jack Theakston » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 am

At work, we have a Technicolor segment of a 1930 MGM musical entitled CHILDREN OF PLEASURE, which stars Lawrence Gray and Wynne Gibson. There's also a segment in color in the Curly Howard short, ROAST BEEF AND MOVIES (1934).

This is all fine and good, but a) the film apparently doesn't survive with Warner in color (which is not unusual for 2-color Tech. materials), b) it's not listed on Technicolor's list of films printed by them, and c) although a few pieces do, most of the posters don't credit Technicolor, and while some reviews mention it, most don't, including Variety.

So what gives? Was this production one of those films such as DOCTOR X where the exhibitor had a choice of a black and white or color version? From what I gather, only scenes were in Technicolor, not the whole film, but even after going through trade magazines, I'm left at a dead end.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 am

Jack, could this be the sequence you're talking about?

It does appear in Roast-Beef (which is entirely in Tech), along with the Chinese ballet from Lord Byron of Broadway. It also appears briefly in That's Entertainment III and I could never identify where it originally came from--no description of The March of Time mentioned a dance number like this one and it didn't seem to be present in any other MGM musical from 1929-30. The poster's description claims that it was actually a deletion from Children of Pleasure. I suppose you'd have to look through the film's cutting continuity or production records to confirm or deny--but it would explain why this title is absent from Technicolor's data and advertising material.

As to why it would be mentioned in some reviews and not others--well, that's for someone else to answer. :wink:

-Harold

talkieking

Unread post by talkieking » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:13 am

The Dust number is indeed puzzling! I wrote about it on my blog last year.

http://talkieking.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... ywood.html

I think something went wrong with the color footage and that Children Of Pleasure ended up as all b/w. That's the only explanation I can find.

I can't find any evidence of color sequences included in Children Of Pleasure.
The Dust number is there all right, it's the same performance but different footage.
Last edited by talkieking on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard P. May

Unread post by Richard P. May » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:14 am

Jack,
Looking at IMDB (for what it's worth), it says "edited into ROAST BEEF AND MOVIES".
Could this picture never have been credited under its own title, and is just part of the short?
You have the print, and from that I'm sure can identify the process, although I would wonder if it is another color process, such as Multicolor?
Dick May