The Official Talkies online deals thread

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
s.w.a.c.

Re: The Official Talkies online deals thread

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am

cinefan wrote:"Bob Hope: The Ultimate Movie Collection" (21 films plus the American Masters documentary on him) is currently down to $19.99 at Amazon. I'm pretty sure this is the lowest it has been.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M7P2R7
No kidding, it's $69.99 on Amazon Canada. Not a bad discount.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

cinefan

Unread post by cinefan » Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Kino Lorber Studio Classics is having a sale through May 29 on 143 titles.

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/v ... /may18sale" target="_blank" target="_blank

Some nice prices on stuff that may be of interest to some here. For example blu-rays of Topaze, Trigger Jr., and The Whales of August are $8.99 each. The Young In Heart is $9.99.

35MM

Unread post by 35MM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Another sale at Kino: 50-70% off everything. Be forewarned the site is slower than tree sap in January. Until June 26th.
CURSES!

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:49 am

35MM wrote:Another sale at Kino: 50-70% off everything. Be forewarned the site is slower than tree sap in January. Until June 26th.
Ha. Also the shipping can be slow. It was reported on DVDtalk that Kino uses FedEx and that FedEx gives priority to business packages (implying no priority for deliveries to homes). So in an earlier sale, I watched the tracking closely. My package went:

5/31 Shipment info sent to FexEx
6/2 Arrived Ocala, FL
6/2 Departed Ocala, FL
6/2 In Transit Red Banks, MS
6/3 In Transit Houston, TX
6/4 In Transit Houston, TX
6/5 In Transit Houston, TX
6/6 Arrived Orlando, FL
Transferred to SmartPost (US Postal Service)
6/7 In Transit Gainesville, FL
6/8 Delivered
/////
When it was in Ocala, it was about 30 minutes driving time from the destination; but it was sent several states away for some reason. The package was suitably beat up from its travels and one blu-ray case is cracked. I should add that the only "protection" inside the box was two pieces of newspaper wadded up. This was also described in a post on DVDtalk.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am

TCM is having a big sale on BluRays...

https://shop.tcm.com/tcm-blu-ray-sale/b233039

cinefan

Unread post by cinefan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 am

Barnes and Noble is having their 50% of Criterion Collection sale again:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-cr ... f/_/N-2qpt" target="_blank

It seems like they have really clamped down on using coupons in conjunction with this sale, but still probably the best price you are likely to see on most Criterion titles. I had a gift card left from some Christmas returns and used it to pick up the blu-rays of King of Jazz and Midnight Cowboy at $19.99 each (how's that for a double feature? :D ).

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am

cinefan wrote:Barnes and Noble is having their 50% of Criterion Collection sale again:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-cr ... f/_/N-2qpt" target="_blank" target="_blank

It seems like they have really clamped down on using coupons in conjunction with this sale, but still probably the best price you are likely to see on most Criterion titles. I had a gift card left from some Christmas returns and used it to pick up the blu-rays of King of Jazz and Midnight Cowboy at $19.99 each (how's that for a double feature? :D ).
Well, my bank account just got mysteriously $100 lighter. Hopefully Bing Crosby in hi-def Technicolor helps ease the pain.

35MM

Unread post by 35MM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 am

At least some pre-orders are included this time.
CURSES!

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:16 pm

cinefan wrote:Barnes and Noble is having their 50% of Criterion Collection sale again:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-cr ... f/_/N-2qpt" target="_blank" target="_blank

I thought B&N had their Criterion sales twice a year. Seems to be more frequent now?

Jim

cinefan

Unread post by cinefan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
I thought B&N had their Criterion sales twice a year. Seems to be more frequent now?

Jim
I think it's still a couple times a year -- July-ish and November-ish. Unless there have been others that I have missed or forgotten -- which is entirely possible.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm

cinefan wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim
I think it's still a couple times a year -- July-ish and November-ish. Unless there have been others that I have missed or forgotten -- which is entirely possible.
Criterion has their own sale twice a year, February and October (more or less). I've gotten used to a depleted bank account four times a year -- yes, only four! I'm thrifty eight times a year! -- but sometimes it feels the reverse.

Jim

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Criterion has their own sale twice a year, February and October (more or less).
But those sales last only a day and you could easily miss them. But I usually prefer buying from them so that I put money directly into Criterion's pocket. If I buy from B&N or Amazon, Criterion gets only a small fraction after the retailer took its cut.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Dietrich and von Sternberg in Hollywood Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express, Blonde Venus, The Scarlet Empress, The Devil Is a Woman The Criterion Collection blu-ray

Currently 50% off, $62.49 at Amazon (US).

https://www.amazon.com/Sternberg-Hollyw ... op?ie=UTF8" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am

Rick Lanham wrote:Dietrich and von Sternberg in Hollywood Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express, Blonde Venus, The Scarlet Empress, The Devil Is a Woman The Criterion Collection blu-ray

Currently 50% off, $62.49 at Amazon (US).

https://www.amazon.com/Sternberg-Hollyw ... op?ie=UTF8" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Not quite the same deal for Canadians ($62.49 US = $82 Cdn), but Amazon Canada has it for $95 DVD/$97 BD. When you factor in free Cdn shipping and the lack of Amazon US's annoying "export fee" (or whatever they call it) it'll probably wind up being not that much more.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dietrich-Sternber ... dpSrc=srch" target="_blank

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am

Personally, I'll wait for Criterion's own fall sale.

50% off, free shipping if the order is large enough, and you build up a further $50 credit which can be cashed in after $500 in purchases.

Rick

rodney4130

Unread post by rodney4130 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 am

Up to 75% off everything from Classicflix. You can even get the new Todd/Kelly set for $20.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:08 am

Warner Archive Collection sale, 4 for $44, free shipping:

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warn ... 00&ref=CJP

Rick

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 am

If Criterion has a fall “Flash” sale, it is likely to be in early October.
We have time now to check our wish list and finances.

If you have purchased directly from Criterion before, you may have some Credits/Loyalty Points to use toward purchases.

Here are the dates of earlier Criterion fall sales:

2017 10 17 TUE
2016 10 17 MON
2015 10 06 TUE
2014 10 09 THU
2013 10 01 TUE
2012 09 24 MON

Rick

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm

While putting together a preliminary order for the next Criterion flash sale, I noticed that MY MAN GODFREY, just released yesterday, is out of stock and won't be shipped until Thursday, October 11! Could this be the date of the next flash sale?

Just thinkin' out loud . . .

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

I don't know how or why this is happening, but . . .

Last night, in anticipation of a 50% off flash sale at Criterion.com this week, I was trying several order combinations in my shopping cart on the website. Then, for the heck of it, I decided to play with several old promo codes to see if they would work. Lo and behold, the 50OFF promo code worked!

So I emptied my cart of available releases, and filled it with preorders of several "coming soon" films, and the promo code worked on those, too! So I put in two orders -- one of preorders which will ship on Nov. 20, and the other of currently available releases, which will ship the next business day. And both of them 50% off MSRP with the promo code! (I have the email confirmations to prove it.)

As of right now, I haven't seen any official news of Criterion's semiannual 50% off MSRP flash sale, but if you're saving yourself for that, JUMP ON THIS NOW, especially if you want to preorder upcoming releases! I don't know how this happened, or how long it's going to be up, but take advantage of it while you can!

Once again, the promo code is 50OFF. Get it while you can at Criterion.com!

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:56 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm
I don't know how or why this is happening, but . . .

Last night, in anticipation of a 50% off flash sale at Criterion.com this week, I was trying several order combinations in my shopping cart on the website. Then, for the heck of it, I decided to play with several old promo codes to see if they would work. Lo and behold, the 50OFF promo code worked!

So I emptied my cart of available releases, and filled it with preorders of several "coming soon" films, and the promo code worked on those, too! So I put in two orders -- one of preorders which will ship on Nov. 20, and the other of currently available releases, which will ship the next business day. And both of them 50% off MSRP with the promo code! (I have the email confirmations to prove it.)

As of right now, I haven't seen any official news of Criterion's semiannual 50% off MSRP flash sale, but if you're saving yourself for that, JUMP ON THIS NOW, especially if you want to preorder upcoming releases! I don't know how this happened, or how long it's going to be up, but take advantage of it while you can!

Once again, the promo code is 50OFF. Get it while you can at Criterion.com!
While this does indeed work, I will keep my fingers crossed my orders don't get cancelled or, worse, that the pre-orders I applied the discount to won't be charged anew at full price (since pre-orders are supposed to be exempt from flash sales). Hopefully, those that take advantage won't see anything done to finalized orders. This was a lucky break and I'm grateful for you sharing this. It's allowed me to nearly catch up with all the titles in the collection that I've wanted to own (which are only titles that I know I will watch at least once, if not twice, a year).

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Keatonesque wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:56 pm
While this does indeed work, I will keep my fingers crossed my orders don't get cancelled or, worse, that the pre-orders I applied the discount to won't be charged anew at full price (since pre-orders are supposed to be exempt from flash sales). Hopefully, those that take advantage won't see anything done to finalized orders. This was a lucky break and I'm grateful for you sharing this. It's allowed me to nearly catch up with all the titles in the collection that I've wanted to own (which are only titles that I know I will watch at least once, if not twice, a year).
It's happened to me once before, when I had a preordered Blu-ray in my shopping cart just prior to a flash sale. Even though I had to wait until the official release date for shipment, Criterion did honor the sale price. However, I would advise anyone trying this to separate current releases from preorders, or you may pay extra for shipping. You can also avoid this by having everything shipped at the same time, if you don't mind the wait.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:19 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Keatonesque wrote:
It's happened to me once before, when I had a preordered Blu-ray in my shopping cart just prior to a flash sale. Even though I had to wait until the official release date for shipment, Criterion did honor the sale price. However, I would advise anyone trying this to separate current releases from preorders, or you may pay extra for shipping. You can also avoid this by having everything shipped at the same time, if you don't mind the wait.
There are only two pre-orders I want, but I lumped in one current release in order to qualify for free shipping, whereas the first order was all current releases, also qualifying for free shipping. I don't mind waiting for the current release that I lumped in with the pre-order releases, and since both orders totaled over $60 and qualified for free shipping, I would hope (and anticipate) there not being any problems.

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Keatonesque wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:19 pm
CoffeeDan wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Keatonesque wrote:
There are only two pre-orders I want, but I lumped in one current release in order to qualify for free shipping, whereas the first order was all current releases, also qualifying for free shipping. I don't mind waiting for the current release that I lumped in with the pre-order releases, and since both orders totaled over $60 and qualified for free shipping, I would hope (and anticipate) there not being any problems.
Excellent! You done good!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am

No kidding! Some must have clued in and it doesn't work anymore. Not for me, anyway.

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am
No kidding! Some must have clued in and it doesn't work anymore. Not for me, anyway.
Funny, I just tried it on two different orders (current releases and preorders), and took them all the way through the "Review your order" stage, and the promo code is still working.

Are you entering the promo code correctly? Make sure you're entering the numbers 50 and letters OFF. The first time I tried, I entered two zeroes instead of a zero and letter "O," and got the "Invalid Promo Code" message.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I just tried it for the Bergman collection (just for fun) and it's no longer valid. In any case, one can look at it as getting ahead (in terms of pre-orders, so long as our orders are honored) rather than saving. The code only allowed us to apply the flash sale deal to pre-orders that I believe will be exempt from the upcoming flash sale. I prefer using Criterion for such orders since they count toward loyalty points, whereas B&N doesn't.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 am

The Criterion Flash Sale has begun. No special code needed, anything in stock is 50% off for the next 24 hours (sometimes that gets extended).

Rick

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:45 am

One Von Sternberg & Dietrich now winging its way to me...and A Matter of Life & Death and Dragon Inn to boot.